Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New to Blackpowdersmoke.com  (Read 9190 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: New to Blackpowdersmoke.com
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2021, 08:51:23 AM »
Welcome!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »
You're already getting great advice for your first loads, so I won't add to that. As long as you're using an adequate powder charge, you won't have any air space.

You say you're in Columbus? I was born there 57 years ago at Ft. Benning. My parents moved here to Kommiefornia when I was 1 year old and I've been here ever since.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
Good Morning, Tim! The guys are giving good advice!
As for me, I prefer wads, so when loading I pour in the powder charge and inset a wad and seat firmly. Once all the torpedo tubes are loade with powder and wad (easy to see with light colored wads!) I put the ball (or conical) in place and then seat that  until all 6 are loaded (for the range...when woods walking/carrying I load 5 for safety and lower the hammer on the empty chamber)
Loads...for steel framed .44 revolvers I generally run 30-35gr of 3F unless I'm target shooting for accuracy...which is not often! (I prefer to spend my time hearing the gong sing and watching it sway.) For .36 cal, 25gr seems to be the ticket. I do not like nor use fillers like COW (Cream of Wheat) or cornmeal though many target shooters do. Personal preference. The important take-away here is that if using black powder or most subs, you won't overcharge your revolver. If you stuff too much in the cylinder (e.g. 45 grains) the ball will hit the frame of the gun when you try to turn the cylinder, so you'll know... L@J

Some folks prefer lube over ball. IMHO it makes a pig-mess and blows lube all over the gun which makes holding onto it akin to a greased eel, but that being said; it works. Since you mentioned you have Durafelt and punches, I won't waste any more time on lubes unless you want to know.
That's all there is to it! Go make smoke, and in a few weeks you'll be telling us your favorite loads and recipes!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2021, 12:13:43 PM »
Welcome from Montana! As others have said you are definitely at the right place. Friendly folks and lots of knowledge! Do not fear being long winded either.
When you have some time post pictures of your BP guns. Some will say, "no picture, no gun" ha!

Be sure to scroll down the subjects on home page and see the many topics you can chime in on!

Terry
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »
Welcome from Tallahassee!
Tried to post earlier but may have timed out .. it's a great bunch here and a wonderful resource... full of people who are ok with a sulfuric obsession...

Back in the 70s if you were a student at Auburn and needed kegs for a party, you went to Columbus because there weren't any ( or any draft beer) in Alabama at the time. I think technically that would be untaxed in Alabama and possibly illegal, so I never actually saw that happen, but I did hear rumors about it at the time..

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 07:58:19 AM »
Welcome from Tallahassee!
Tried to post earlier but may have timed out .. it's a great bunch here and a wonderful resource... full of people who are ok with a sulfuric obsession...

Back in the 70s if you were a student at Auburn and needed kegs for a party, you went to Columbus because there weren't any ( or any draft beer) in Alabama at the time. I think technically that would be untaxed in Alabama and possibly illegal, so I never actually saw that happen, but I did hear rumors about it at the time..

Suntiger,
   Hi. I've been meaning to ask you about this. So, did you go to Auburn University? Sounds like you know how it was back then.  I've been in the area since 1970. By the way, in 1977 someone in Phenix City, AL began illegally selling Coors Beer and on Sunday no less.  but of course I never bought any on Sunday... ;) I actually was born in Moultrie, GA back in 59.  I have some distant relatives in Tallahassee. Thanks again for the warm welcome. tim
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:13:04 AM by Zulch »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
I like lubed wads also. Most people that use over ball lube tend to use too much. They fill the void between the ball and the cylinder mouth. That's what makes the mess. Just a little around the edges of the ball is all you need.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »
I like lubed wads also. Most people that use over ball lube tend to use too much. They fill the void between the ball and the cylinder mouth. That's what makes the mess. Just a little around the edges of the ball is all you need.
By a little bit...you really mean a tiny amount? What about a light film of lube around the ball before shoving in?
Thanks,
Tim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »
By a little bit...you really mean a tiny amount? What about a light film of lube around the ball before shoving in?
Thanks,
Tim

No it would just get sheared off when you load it. Liquid lube around the edge of the ball will prevent chain fires but won't do much for fouling which is the main reason for using it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »
Thanks,
Tim

No it would just get sheared off when you load it. Liquid lube around the edge of the ball will prevent chain fires but won't do much for fouling which is the main reason for using it.
Okay. When you say the edge? To me it's all an edge?? ???  Sorry, I'm a dunder head. Thank you Hawg.  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:13:56 AM by Zulch »