Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap sucking solution?  (Read 10011 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cap sucking solution?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
I'm not being grumpy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
.......................... I wonder if the area over the cap area was not cut out, if the hammer force hitting the shield would have enough force to fire caps? That would totally contain the caps. .............
Hi Richard, I zoomed in on your idea about the shield covering the caps. Made such a thingie today. Worked out just fine. All caps fired and none had any chance of getting into the mechanisms. Only problem is that the hammer sides are too sharp and the cylinder nipple recesses also have sharp edges. Therefore the life span of the thingie is rather short until the material is shaved.

Now then, I think the problem can be solved by rounding (filleting) the left side of the hammer surface and rounding the left side of the cylinder nipple recesses.

Only trouble is that I have to decide on whether to make those alterations on an original, or not.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
Hi Len, is this related to what you are doing with your Manhattan?

Manhattan spring plates:

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B026_Nutter.pdf

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:00:34 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »
Hello G Dog, thanks for the link. I downloaded it. A wealth of info there.
As mine is a fully functioning Series 1, low number (515) you might understand that I hesitate to do any alterations.
As to your Q, yes it might be, but I have some difficulties interpreting the pics.
I will come up with my pics as soon as I have some sound spring plates to photograph

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
Hi Len, thanks for your effort, test, and report. I think that the hammer face would need to be shortened by the thickness of the cap plate. G Dog shows us that there is little new under the sun.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 02:59:18 AM »
Today, put sleeves of shrink tubing on the caps. This is tubing for electrical wires, It shrinks from heat. Used a soldering pen for heating. Then shot a couple of cylinders. The tubing seems to hold the spent caps together, no fragmentation. Had no cap sucking issues.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 05:04:27 AM »
Today, put sleeves of shrink tubing on the caps. This is tubing for electrical wires, It shrinks from heat. Used a soldering pen for heating. Then shot a couple of cylinders. The tubing seems to hold the spent caps together, no fragmentation. Had no cap sucking issues.

Aquarium tubing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
Hi Hawg, you're right, my try was on the same aqua principle.
But, the shrink tubing is of a much stronger material, although it is thin.

CarrySafe

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »

Hi Len,

That's an interesting idea.  In your picture, are those the spent caps at the bottom right?  Do I understand correctly that the heat shrink kept the spent caps in place on the nipples?

Carry

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 07:59:30 AM »
Carry,
yes spent caps down at the right. They stayed on the nipples, but some fell off/fell free/ when re-cocking (I usually turn the Colt 90 degrees CW to let the caps get a free fall).

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
Made a washer/shim that fits on the recoil shield flange of the Manhattan Navy. Idea is to reduce the gap to prevent cap fragments falling down into the ratchet area.

Len,
      Good evening. Do you have the photo of the shim in reference that you could repost. It was lost during the shuffle to the new board. :-( I would love to see your photo/s. There were a few more that are no longer there on this thread as well. If you don't have them no worries.
thanks,
Tim

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 09:51:24 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry I'm so slow. I'll get these pics transferred over for you later today.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry I'm so slow. I'll get these pics transferred over for you later today.

oh Dave. I forgot you are doing that :-(..No worries there man. You rock!! In your  :animated-smileys-brutal-viole  *6' *6' *6' Thanks Tim