Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pizza on a Big Green Egg  (Read 1173 times)

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
Pizza on a Big Green Egg
« on: September 21, 2021, 06:41:39 AM »
Even though I have a wood-fired pizza oven, it's impractical to  wind it up to temperature to make just a couple of pizzas because of the wood required, and the time.(it takes about 3+ hours to get it up to 650-700°). Wood, especially White Oak, costs an arm and a leg to obtain here in San Diego.
So I tried out a pizza on the Big Green Egg as an experiment.
It turned out well. The trick was raising up the baking surface nearer the dome to get the top heat. I put a baking stone on  a couple of thermal bricks for the height. It took the oven 30 minutes to get up to the right temperature.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza on a Big Green Egg
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
Old Frenchy. Funny you would post this as my wife was asking last night about the egg. It sounds like maybe you like it?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:44:35 AM »
Yes, I've been hearing about them as well. What's your take on them?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:55:09 AM »
That looks delicious Frenchy.

Friends of ours have a Big Green Egg. They had us over for dinner, and they did steak on it. Best steak I have ever eaten, bar none.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
Old Frenchy. Funny you would post this as my wife was asking last night about the egg. It sounds like maybe you like it?
I followed my buddy's lead after he purchased one. He's a great cook and has done marvelous things on it. The clincher for me was the Tomahawk steak, first smoked, then  reversed seared at 600°. It was as good as any steak that I had had.
So I have it and use it, but it is an X-large and takes time to bring up to heat (I am impatient man! :smiley-angry046:) and I sometimes find myself using the pellet grill or smaller Weber kettle for quick grills.
Even though I got a deal, it was quite expensive and you have to have some basic accessories that are not included. There are other, less expensive kamado grills out there that I reckon would do as good a job.
That being said, once you master the temperature control it produces fantastic food and if you grill and smoke, you won't be disappointed if you purchase one.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
I followed my buddy's lead after he purchased one. He's a great cook and has done marvelous things on it. The clincher for me was the Tomahawk steak, first smoked, then  reversed seared at 600°. It was as good as any steak that I had had.
So I have it and use it, but it is an X-large and takes time to bring up to heat (I am impatient man! :smiley-angry046:) and I sometimes find myself using the pellet grill or smaller Weber kettle for quick grills.
Even though I got a deal, it was quite expensive and you have to have some basic accessories that are not included. There are other, less expensive kamado grills out there that I reckon would do as good a job.
That being said, once you master the temperature control it produces fantastic food and if you grill and smoke, you won't be disappointed if you purchase one.
Thank you sir. i appreciate you taking the time to tell me about some of the ends and outs. So you have the large one it sounds? You also mentioned the pellet grill too. I heard a little about those too. Lot to think about. What if one is just a once a month griller. Would it be worth having a green egg. Rhetorical question. Just thinking out loud. Isn't there one called a TRAEGER? You ever heard of that one? Know anything about them? That Tomahawk steak sounds real good!! Sure Making me hungry though.  Thanks again,
Tim

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
Thank you sir. i appreciate you taking the time to tell me about some of the ends and outs. So you have the large one it sounds? You also mentioned the pellet grill too. I heard a little about those too. Lot to think about. What if one is just a once a month griller. Would it be worth having a green egg. Rhetorical question. Just thinking out loud. Isn't there one called a TRAEGER? You ever heard of that one? Know anything about them? That Tomahawk steak sounds real good!! Sure Making me hungry though.  Thanks again,
Tim
If I were just a once a month griller I would tend towards a pellet grill. I am familiar with Traeger pellet grills, and I think they are good but too expensive compared to other similar alternatives.
I have a Louisiana grill (900 model) that has an attached cold smoker. I got a screaming deal at Costco a few years ago, and I dont know if they make this model anymore. That being said, it has been very reliable with extremely accurate temperature control. The smoker works well for everything I throw at it, mostly bacon lol. Pellets are available everywhere and come in a variety of different hardwoods for different tastes. Of course the grill itself also works as a hot smoker, and for grilling, if you want to go crazy , the grill can get up to 600° and has an area where you can sear steaks.
I held off buying impulsively, and if you do your research and find the model that best suits your needs, eventually it will come on sale someplace.

Offline OldFrenchy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »
The downside to a pellet grill is that you need a power source to plug it in.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
I've done pizza on my IR grill.