Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Loads...  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
New Loads...
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, I was unable to get the Montana Precision Swaging (MPS) 535gr Postell bullets (back order) so rather than wait, I ordered some MPS 405gr flat nose bullets instead so I can do a comparo next time out. They came in last week and I quickly put them to use by loading up a batch of 20 using the Walters wads .030 vegetable fiber wads over 63.2gr of Graf's 2F black powder. Why 63.2? Because that's the largest dipper scoop in my Lee dipper set (guess you could call it the "Big Dipper"...) :whistling:
Also, because it's been said you can't get more than 60gr into a modern .45/70 case. Wrong.
I did NOT use a drop tube. After allowing the powder to trickle into the cases using my Satern 'black powder' funnel, I topped them with a Walters wad and compressed the charges using my MPS compression die...I could hear the powder crunching and feel the compression on the press lever! Gave me a whole bunch more clearance! I reckon I might be able to squeeze another 7 grains in fairly easy under those 405's...
They are a whole bunch shorter than the Postells loaded, too.  I had the Postells loaded to give me about.015 freebore, these are probably more like 1/4 inch...
As such, I would expect less accuracy out of the Pedersoli Sharps with these compared to the Postells...but next trip to the range will tell the story.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Loads...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
IIRC you can get 67 or maybe 68 grains under a 405 but I didn't use a wad. I settled on 65 grains. 405's worked really well out of my carbine but it was an original carbine.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
Thanks, Hawg!
You never shoulda sold it.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 06:04:21 PM »
Thanks, Hawg!
You never shoulda sold it.

Truth be told I didn't want to.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:38:43 AM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »
This is the profile difference between the 405gr FN (L) and the 535gr Postell (R)...

Loaded up...

The Satern black powder funnel. Note non-sparking materials (aluminum/brass) and the brass end cap which rests nicely on the end of a case with no holding assistance needed when using a loading block...

The Lee dipper. Holds 63.2gr of 2F black powder

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 06:13:26 AM »
Hey Capt,   I have both of those molds.   If you decide you want to cast up a couple hundred or so of either one let me know.    I'd be glad to lend you the molds.    I don't think you'll be able to find the Postell mold very easily,   I had to look for mine for a long time.   The Lee 405 will turn up as soon as Lee gets caught up on orders.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 06:22:31 AM »
Hey Capt,   I have both of those molds.   If you decide you want to cast up a couple hundred or so of either one let me know.    I'd be glad to lend you the molds.    I don't think you'll be able to find the Postell mold very easily,   I had to look for mine for a long time.   The Lee 405 will turn up as soon as Lee gets caught up on orders.

Thanks, Mike! I already have the Postell mold...just haven't used it yet as I don't have and Lyman #2 lead handy. And buying the MPS precast/prelubed bullets is just too easy (when you can get them...LOL!)
If I like the 405s I will probably be looking for a mold for those as it can save quite a bit of lead in the long run for paper-punching and such.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »
Just wanted to chime in on the Lee 405g (45-70) hollow base bullet - I have had this mold for a while and cast quite regularly - I load it with 65g ffG Goex and a 0.030 cardboard wad - it has proven to be very accurate with my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor.

Retreever

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »
Just wanted to chime in on the Lee 405g (45-70) hollow base bullet - I have had this mold for a while and cast quite regularly - I load it with 65g ffG Goex and a 0.030 cardboard wad - it has proven to be very accurate with my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor.

Retreever

Thanks for the feedback! I thought I looked at Lee moulds and they only offered a .427 diameter? Maybe I'm wrong about that, though. The Lyman and RCBS moulds (if you can find them) are stupid-expensive. Handles, too.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 05:55:41 AM »

Retreever

Thanks for the feedback! I thought I looked at Lee moulds and they only offered a .427 diameter? Maybe I'm wrong about that, though. The Lyman and RCBS moulds (if you can find them) are stupid-expensive. Handles, too.

Mornin' Cap'n , Lee has (2) 405g molds -

MOLD DC 457-405-F a double cavity flat base .457 diameter and
MOLD SC 459-405HB a single cavity hollow base .459 diameter

Retreever