Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: First trip to range tomorrow hopefully  (Read 5842 times)

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
First trip to range tomorrow hopefully
« on: October 10, 2021, 04:24:05 AM »
First post outside of my introduction.
I’m a beginner with zero BP pistol experience.
Recently purchased a used pietta brass er 44.
I’ve read a lot.  If I can gather the remains of my needs at local LGS I would pan to shoot after work tomorrow.
I taken this thing apart for cleaning a couple times to get a feel for it and see what I’m up against before I have to clean it from shooting.
I squirted gun scrubber through the nipples. That’s when I noticed 2 nipples have a bigger opening than the 4 others.
I don’t know what’s up with that. Don’t know which ones are best??? Looking for advice.
Also if given a choice should I get 451 or 454 balls?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: First trip to range tomorrow hopefully
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 04:41:38 AM »
.454 balls and don't go over 20 grains of powder in that brass frame or it will eventually beat itself to death.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 05:21:44 AM »
AR Hillbilly,
   Good Morning. I second Hawg on that. Definitely .454 ball. When you drive it home into the cylinder it should leave a a small ring of residual lead on the top of the cylinder thus assurring a very snug fit. There are some who prfer a .457 round ball (of late difficult to find). I have never used them but some swear by them. Obviously a little more force is needed to drive a .457 home. As far as the different larger nipple hole sizes? I'm not sure why that might have happened.  :icon_scratch:  I will have to defer to others, like like Hawg, Shotgun Dave for a possible reason. Also, if by chance you are not aware, avoid using any petroleum based cleaning and or lube products with you BP revolver. This can cause very bad fouling in a relatively short amount of time. I've never used Gun Scrubber so I don't know if it's petroleum based or not??
   I use "Ballistol" myself. A non petroleum product. Some hate it and others swear by it. It's okay once you get past the smell they say. (7+" Just make sure the cylinders and nipples are good and dry before you load your BP. Are you using a lubed wad or some type of filler? Good hearing from you AR and thanks for the questions and keep bringing them on. I wish you great luck on the range!! Man, I gotta tell ya, I am envious my friend.  (7+" (7+" :-*

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 06:05:06 AM »
As far as the different larger nipple hole sizes? I'm not sure why that might have happened. 

They probably came that way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
a lot of folks look for after market nipples that have much better quality control and uniformity... but as for me, i let the shooting be the test...

Also, watch for caps getting stuck down in the action.. there are volumes written on how to fix this and customize your gun...

Good Luck, and welcome to the club! :happy-thumbs-up-050:
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:30:26 AM »
It sounds like you're ready to go AR. As for the odd sized holes in a couple nipples, it very we;; could have come that way. Is it a brand new gun? Or is it used? I'd say go ahead and shoot it and see if there's any difference. I doubt there will be.

I look forward to your shooting report.

Above all else, HAVE FUN!!!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
.454 is the place to start. .451 will more than likely be way too small unless it's an older gun...say, 1950-1960 era. If you don't shave a ring of lead on seating you may want to consider .457 but in my experience the only guns that cotton well to that size ball are Armi San Paolo (ASP) and the Ruger Old Army (ROA).
As for the nipple holes...have you checked with a nipple pick to see if there is a powder residue build up on the 4 smaller ones? If you don't have access to a nipple pick, you can make them out of guitar string end cutoffs if you know someone who plays.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:42:02 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
I used BC gun scrubber about 25 years ago.  That was the last time.  Still have a full can.  It's the last thing to use on a flash channel.  I like to use some 24 gauge bronzish picture hanging wire.  Keeps the channel clean and clear. No one will know if the two holes are too large until you try them.

It may be that all is well.  You'll be the first to know.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:55:09 AM »
AR. Hi. We’re you able to make it to the range yesterday? Look forward to hearing how everything went. Thanks, Tim :cowboypistol:

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 05:42:41 PM »
AR. Hi. We’re you able to make it to the range yesterday? Look forward to hearing how everything went. Thanks, Tim :cowboypistol:
I did not. It’s probably gonna be next weekend now. I still don’t have everything I need. I’m getting close and getting excited.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
What do you need?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 03:49:12 AM »
I still need powder and 454 balls

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 06:11:06 AM »
  Morning AR. Hope you are doing well. i know you are anxious to get out there and shoot as we all are.  :001_smile: Don't know if you've tried Midway as a source but if not they have some round balls in stock.
Midway has some .454 round balls Brands: Hornady or Traditions. Sadly, they do not have any BP or Pyrodex. 
Traditions are a little cheaper. they often have sales on these as well. That has been my experience anyway. Having said that I am now buying what's need to cast my own. That's another avenue you may consider. After I did the math I realized it is the way to go for me. For powder substitutes like Triple 7 and or Pyrodex P, I have actually found both of those in pawn shops and of course Walmart where i live here in GA.. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were available locally. Just a thought.

Hogdon has Pyrodex P available $25.99# at this Link: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/pyrodex-p-pistol-powder 

Midway Links to Round balls .454 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023139531?pid=765377 and  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165132904?pid=699672

hope this helps AR. Tim

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:00:18 AM by Zulch »

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »
Like Zulch said, I too can recommend to cast one's own balls, it's easy and it's cheap and you'll never be low on RBs

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
Like Zulch said, I too can recommend to cast one's own balls, it's easy and it's cheap and you'll never be low on RBs
The LGS has round balls, wads and pyrodex p. I try to shop local when possible.
I do use Midway for reloading supplies and familiar with them.
Now the big news. Yesterday was my birthday. My wife got me a very nice pietta Army also a 44 and not brass.
Any recommendations for a ball mold? I have lots of lead.