Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cylinder turn marks and Cause?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cylinder turn marks and Cause?
« on: October 12, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
I have an old gregorelli/uberti 1851 circa 1962. When I bought the revolver this line that ran the full circumference of the cylinder was present. This is probably old hat to most. My question is, is it a bolt timing issue that can cause this?  The line is a very light surface etch (not deep). Look forward to the education guys and Thank you. 👍

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder turn marks and Cause?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:21:34 PM »
It could possibly be from a bolt that's too tall but it's most likely from somebody letting the hammer down from half cock.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:58:37 PM »
Good one, Hawg.  That piece has probably been "preowned" a few times.  Ring Around the Collar is often self inflicted by the less than prudent.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:16:41 PM »
Hey Hawg and G Dog. Yes,bit is a  pre-owned gun. I knew you guys had an explanation. 😊👍 thank you both. So, it sounds like the bolt can ride high though? Thanks , Tim

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »
Hey Hawg and G Dog. Yes,bit is a  pre-owned gun. I knew you guys had an explanation. 😊👍 thank you both. So, it sounds like the bolt can ride high though? Thanks , Tim

Like I said it can be but not very likely.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:43:26 PM »

Like I said it can be but not very likely.
Thanks Hawg.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:28:59 PM »
Some of the things that can affect RATC are as mentioned, high bolt and letting the hammer down from half cock, also improper bolt timing/worn hammer cam or bolt leg. The bolt on a Colt should drop in the lead-in unless it's an oval bolt stop like Walker/Whitneyville or 1st Dragoon models. Also Remington NMA/NMN models should drop the bolt about half a bolt width before full engagement.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »
Probably the condition of the bolt head is as much a culprit as any. If it's the original part,  it is probably rounded over on the tall side (locking side) because of wear or attempts at tuning .  .  .  the tall side should have a sharp  (90°) edge (but broken). The good thing I see is that it is tracking in the center  .  .  .   as it should!!  It could also have happened as a bolt spring was failing or a hand spring was breaking.

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 05:36:53 AM »
Some of the things that can affect RATC are as mentioned, high bolt and letting the hammer down from half cock, also improper bolt timing/worn hammer cam or bolt leg. The bolt on a Colt should drop in the lead-in unless it's an oval bolt stop like Walker/Whitneyville or 1st Dragoon models. Also Remington NMA/NMN models should drop the bolt about half a bolt width before full engagement.

Morning Cap, Thanks for the input sir. This is a pre-owned and older (1962) 1851 replica. Don't know if that is of any significance. I am hoping it was merely from someone letting the hammer down at half cock position as you described. I need to pay close attention to see if it gets worse.  ^j)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:13 AM »
Probably the condition of the bolt head is as much a culprit as any. If it's the original part,  it is probably rounded over on the tall side (locking side) because of wear or attempts at tuning .  .  .  the tall side should have a sharp  (90°) edge (but broken). The good thing I see is that it is tracking in the center  .  .  .   as it should!!  It could also have happened as a bolt spring was failing or a hand spring was breaking.

Mike

Mike, Good morning, I really appreciate your opinion and expertise very much. Would you recommend that I replace the bolt, bolt/spring and hand as a precautionary measure?
Thank you,
Tim

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 05:59:12 AM »
Some of those parts will require fitting. The hand definitely will. With it being an older model the bolt may need fitting as well. IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 06:05:30 AM »
Some of those parts will require fitting. The hand definitely will. With it being an older model the bolt may need fitting as well. IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Hawg, thank you sir. It sounds like it could be an expensive venture?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:35:53 AM »
Hawg, thank you sir. It sounds like it could be an expensive venture?

Not so much expensive. You'll likely have to do it yourself. It would be a good lesson in gunsmithing. You would learn exactly how the parts work together. I still wouldn't do it until I had to tho.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »

Hawg is spot-on here, Tim.
G&U guns are NOT the same as the later Ubertis and while some parts may fit, they likely need to be trimmed and/or fine tuned.
You are a lucky man to have a G&U. They are becoming quite the collector's item these days.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »

Hawg is spot-on here, Tim.
G&U guns are NOT the same as the later Ubertis and while some parts may fit, they likely need to be trimmed and/or fine tuned.
You are a lucky man to have a G&U. They are becoming quite the collector's item these days.

Cap, Thank you sir. Roger that. I guess at the time I didn't realize what I was buying  )lI  I feel lucky to have it.  (@+