Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I have more questions  (Read 3621 times)

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
I have more questions
« on: October 19, 2021, 03:19:23 AM »
First as y’all know last Saturday was my first time to shoot BB pistols.
I shot the wore out brasser I bought and the the new Army my wife bought. I put 20 grains (smallest my measure goes) in the brasser and 25 in the Army.
The Army has a blade front sight. I like it but it shoots high at 15 yards.
The brass Navy has a ball front sight and is right on at 15 yards. Both 44’s.
I can see, feel and hear a difference in just 5 grains of powder. Is that the gun or powder difference of just 5 grains?
The Army with 25 shoots fire out the end and the Navy with 20 does not shoot fire.  Both 7.5” barrels.
Next question, the Army is nice and tight. It seems much better made. It has little pins at the rear of the cylinder that keep it locked in position when carrying. The brasser (1994) I believe doesn’t have these.
If I were to buy a new cylinder would it have these pins and would they work with the brasser?

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
Re: I have more questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 03:20:17 AM »
Both Piettas.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »
They both should have the pins. I don't remember when your brass frame was made. If it was made before 2000 there will be a difference in the size of the cylinder notches. I think the older ones had narrower notches. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:57:38 AM »
I believe the Brasser is a 1994

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 04:50:56 AM »
.................................... Next question,.......... It has little pins at the rear of the cylinder that keep it locked in position when carrying. .............................
Hi AR, not really an answer to your question,  just wanted to make you aware of the extensive discussions, on this and the Remington forums, about whether to use the saftety pins/notches or leave one chamber empty for resting the hammer on. I seem to remember, that most guys were in favour of  the latter when it comes to carry.

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 05:04:01 AM »
.................................... Next question,.......... It has little pins at the rear of the cylinder that keep it locked in position when carrying. .............................
Hi AR, not really an answer to your question,  just wanted to make you aware of the extensive discussions, on this and the Remington forums, about whether to use the saftety pins/notches or leave one chamber empty for resting the hammer on. I seem to remember, that most guys were in favour of  the latter when it comes to carry.
Thank you sir. In regards to carrying this/ as in holstered on my side I would also choose to carry on an empty.
As of now I’ve been loading these in the gun room and physically carrying (in my hand) them one at a time to the back yard where I shoot. I loaded full cylinders each time.
If I were to go to the range they have loading tables. It’s actually a BP range.
I’m just curious as why the brasser doesn’t have those pins? Wasn’t sure if it were a Army/Navy difference or year pietta made them difference or if the brasser had been altered?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 05:24:03 AM »

What Len said. ^^^^^

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
Thank you sir. In regards to carrying this/ as in holstered on my side I would also choose to carry on an empty.
As of now I’ve been loading these in the gun room and physically carrying (in my hand) them one at a time to the back yard where I shoot. I loaded full cylinders each time.
If I were to go to the range they have loading tables. It’s actually a BP range.
I’m just curious as why the brasser doesn’t have those pins? Wasn’t sure if it were a Army/Navy difference or year pietta made them difference or if the brasser had been altered?

AR, Hi. Personally speaking, I would venture to say that it was just the way they were being manufactured at the time your 1994 brasser was produced? No expert here. Anyone else with more knowledge on this?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 08:04:30 AM »
I'm thinking Pietta has always had six pins. ASM or one of the off brands only had one for awhile. Original 1851 Colts didn't have any pins.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
First as y’all know last Saturday was my first time to shoot BB pistols.
I shot the wore out brasser I bought and the the new Army my wife bought. I put 20 grains (smallest my measure goes) in the brasser and 25 in the Army.
The Army has a blade front sight. I like it but it shoots high at 15 yards.
The brass Navy has a ball front sight and is right on at 15 yards. Both 44’s.
I can see, feel and hear a difference in just 5 grains of powder. Is that the gun or powder difference of just 5 grains?

'Morning, AR! First off, the original Colts were designed to be POI at 75 yards. Not sure where that leaves you at 15, as the ball is most likely still on the upswing. Most of us just experiment and find out what the "Kentucky Elevation" is and the compensate, but some prefer POI to be dead-on at say, 25 yards and install a taller sight to compensate, or deepen the notch in the hammer. Either way leaves a slightly altered look, so there's that to consider. You have to consider what works for you and decide accordingly.

The Army with 25 shoots fire out the end and the Navy with 20 does not shoot fire.  Both 7.5” barrels.

Most likely due to the additional powder. It's still burning as it exits the muzzle, which is an indication that the extra powder really isn't needed...

Next question, the Army is nice and tight. It seems much better made. It has little pins at the rear of the cylinder that keep it locked in position when carrying. The brasser (1994) I believe doesn’t have these.
If I were to buy a new cylinder would it have these pins and would they work with the brasser?

Not sure about extra cylinders, as I don't own any spares...being Pietta, they most likely would have the pins, but I'll be honest with you; those pins shear pretty easy and you don't always notice when they do. IMHO, better to load 5 and rest the hammer on the empty chamber, unless you are at the range and capping at the bench. Better safe than sorry.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »
Actually, your question about extra cylinders is kind of a moot point as most shooters find it to be a PITA to knock the wedge, pull the barrel, and swap in an extra loaded cylinder and reassemble when you could just about load the empty one in as much time. I have extra cylinders for a couple of my Remingtons because it's a 5-second swap, but none for the Colts for the reason I mentioned.
Something to think about before spending 60 bucks+ a pop for a "spare cylinder"...

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »
Actually, your question about extra cylinders is kind of a moot point as most shooters find it to be a PITA to knock the wedge, pull the barrel, and swap in an extra loaded cylinder and reassemble when you could just about load the empty one in as much time. I have extra cylinders for a couple of my Remingtons because it's a 5-second swap, but none for the Colts for the reason I mentioned.
Something to think about before spending 60 bucks+ a pop for a "spare cylinder"...

Capt. Kirk,
     Awesome explanation!! I had considered buying an additional cylinder but after reading this post I think I am happy with what I have. Thank you,
Tim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Thanks, Tim.
I should mention that I have a spare conversion cylinder for my Walker, but that is for .45 LC BP cartridges.

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
Thank you Captain. My thoughts on the extra cylinder were strictly for the pins if necessary?
So far it functions but this is the one with too much gap so I can’t see spending anything on it anyway

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »
Thank you Captain. My thoughts on the extra cylinder were strictly for the pins if necessary?
So far it functions but this is the one with too much gap so I can’t see spending anything on it anyway

Load five, rest on the empty. Forget about the pins. Save $60 bucks. It's a no-brainer, AR! (7&