Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What' your Favorite Dragoon and Why?  (Read 6724 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What' your Favorite Dragoon and Why?
« on: October 26, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »
     Okay fellas, I'm looking to buy my first Dragoon. Since there is the Whitneyville, Model 1, Model 2 and Model 3, I am not certain which one to start with. I've read much on the forum and from other resources as well but I am still on the fence about what to buy. I was hoping some of you Dragoon lovers would help me out here. I want to hear your stories, see some cool photos of your iron's and why you might prefer one over the others. I've seen Shotgun Dave's Model 3 and think it's an awesome looking revolver. Since I can't talk him out of that one??   L@J
Thanks,
Tim

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: What' your Favorite Dragoon and Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with any of them Tim. But for me, the 2nd and 3rd model are the ones to have for everyday shooting. They have the rectangular stop slots on the cylinder, with the approaches for the bolt to slide into. The older models have the oval stops and no approaches.

The 3rd model has all the other improvements too. Like the horizontal lever latch that works better. The difference between the square back and round trigger guards is just personal preference.

If I were choosing one based solely on looks, I'd get the Whitneyville. And indeed I will be getting one.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »
I had a Uberti 3rd model but I sold it. I don't like the square back trigger guard of the 1st and 2nd models. Mine dropped the lever every other shot with anything over 40 grains. The latch was hard to use with sweaty hands.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
Yep. Hawg is right. The older style vertical latch will drop the lever every time. You have to look at the 3rd models to make sure it has the later horizontal latch, because some of the early 3rd models have the older style.

Here's my early 3rd model with the early vertical latch. It dropped the lever every time. I traded it off earlier this year for a flintlock rifle.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »
Yup. I have a first, and two seconds. All three drop the LL with more than 40 grains. I don't own a 3rd. I prefer the looks of the 2nd, but folks tell me the 3rd is the best of all of them. More knuckle clearance for sure. Not quite as heavy as a Walker, but damn close! Colt produced way more 3rds than 2nds or 1st models, and with repros it's the same story...sales of third models top all the others.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of them Tim. But for me, the 2nd and 3rd model are the ones to have for everyday shooting. They have the rectangular stop slots on the cylinder, with the approaches for the bolt to slide into. The older models have the oval stops and no approaches.

The 3rd model has all the other improvements too. Like the horizontal lever latch that works better. The difference between the square back and round trigger guards is just personal preference.

If I were choosing one based solely on looks, I'd get the Whitneyville. And indeed I will be getting one.

Okay Dave, So the 2d or 3d in your opinion are better for just plain everyday shooting. That sound appealing. I guess Colt worked out the kinks along the way in production. That's good information Dave. Thank you. Tim 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 12:19:21 PM »
3rd will probably be the most trouble-free, and most likely available. I always had a jones for a second, so went with that. Love the SB trigger guard. Someday I might pick up a 3rd and Whitneyville just to complete the "grand slam"...

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »
I had a Uberti 3rd model but I sold it. I don't like the square back trigger guard of the 1st and 2nd models. Mine dropped the lever every other shot with anything over 40 grains. The latch was hard to use with sweaty hands.

Hawg, Thanks for posting that picture!! You still have those I see. Nice  :001_smile: Do you think Uberti is now selling the Model 3 with the horizontal lever? That sounds like a plus based on Dave's picture he posted with the lever falling downward while firing. Certainly something good to consider in making my choice. 

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
Yup. I have a first, and two seconds. All three drop the LL with more than 40 grains. I don't own a 3rd. I prefer the looks of the 2nd, but folks tell me the 3rd is the best of all of them. More knuckle clearance for sure. Not quite as heavy as a Walker, but damn close! Colt produced way more 3rds than 2nds or 1st models, and with repros it's the same story...sales of third models top all the others.

So, if and when, they become available it sounds like ya gotta jump quick to get one. Thanks Cap.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »

So, if and when, they become available it sounds like ya gotta jump quick to get one. Thanks Cap.

Watch Midway. Often they have them for surprisingly low prices.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
yes, you know i do, some believe that I have stock with that company  L@J  (7&

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
How do we know you're not Larry Potterfield? :icon_scratch:

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 12:45:31 PM »
How do we know you're not Larry Potterfield? :icon_scratch:
You don't  (7& (7+"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »

Hawg, Thanks for posting that picture!! You still have those I see. Nice  :001_smile: Do you think Uberti is now selling the Model 3 with the horizontal lever? That sounds like a plus based on Dave's picture he posted with the lever falling downward while firing. Certainly something good to consider in making my choice.

I still have the navy. I sold the dragoon. I think all the Uberti 3rd models have the horizontal latch now. Mine was made in 2013.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 03:36:40 PM »

Okay Dave, So the 2d or 3d in your opinion are better for just plain everyday shooting. That sound appealing. I guess Colt worked out the kinks along the way in production. That's good information Dave. Thank you. Tim

That's correct Tim. With each successive model, they made it a little bit better. Culminating with the 3rd model.

You can't go wrong with either. It really just comes down to wether you want the square back or round trigger guard. The latch problem is easily overcome with a little judicious file work on the latch. And if that doesn't work, a rubber band will hold it up while you shoot. Or, you can just get in the habit of slapping it back into place before cocking the hammer for the next shot. It's all part of the charm.
-Abe Lincoln