Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 454 mold  (Read 6567 times)

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
454 mold
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:07:24 AM »
Starting to search a 454 ball mold. Been looking at Lee 2 cavity molds as they’re the only thing nes I’m finding instock.
Any reason to stay away from these?
Any other advice appreciated.
I now have a Lee bottom pour and a cast iron lead pouring pot. I don’t have a heat source for the cast pot but will use new soft lead and only the electric for now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: 454 mold
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 04:24:15 AM »
Hi AR, the aluminum Lee mold is a very good mold for the cost. Happy casting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 05:43:38 AM »
Starting to search a 454 ball mold. Been looking at Lee 2 cavity molds as they’re the only thing nes I’m finding instock.
Any reason to stay away from these?
Any other advice appreciated.
I now have a Lee bottom pour and a cast iron lead pouring pot. I don’t have a heat source for the cast pot but will use new soft lead and only the electric for now.
AR. I recently bought the Lee double cavity molds for .375 and .454. Very well made. I like them  (7&
Have fun!  :-*

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 06:01:08 AM »
I have the LEE .450 200gr Conical bullet mould for my Uberti 1858 Remington.

They shoot great in my gun.

It is excellent for the money, however I did have a LEE 12g slug mould. What a load of CRAP, it fell to bits in no time. I have used LEE reloading products since 1986 and with the exception of that 12g slug mould they have all done what they say on the tin, no complaints from me.

Have a look at these made by Jeff Tanner in the U.K. He hand makes them out of Brass to whatever diameter you want. Single ball moulds of excellent quality. They fit LEE handles too. https://www.ballmoulds.com/

Just a suggestion ?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »
I have the LEE .450 200gr Conical bullet mould for my Uberti 1858 Remington.

They shoot great in my gun.

It is excellent for the money, however I did have a LEE 12g slug mould. What a load of CRAP, it fell to bits in no time. I have used LEE reloading products since 1986 and with the exception of that 12g slug mould they have all done what they say on the tin, no complaints from me.

Have a look at these made by Jeff Tanner in the U.K. He hand makes them out of Brass to whatever diameter you want. Single ball moulds of excellent quality. They fit LEE handles too. https://www.ballmoulds.com/

Just a suggestion ?
Necessaryevil.
   Hey my friend. Thanks for the link. going to check it out myself.  <={

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »
Yep. Lee all the way. I have several molds, including an expensive Eras Gone mold for my Sharps. It too is made by Lee. All have given me good service with no problems.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
Most of my molds are Lee. I wouldn't touch a single cavity mold now unless it's for some big honkin rifle bullet.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
I have a number of double cavity Lee moulds, including .454 RB, 200gr conical, .375RB among others. My only downside to Lee is while they heay up fast, they cool down just as fast so if you're stoking the lead pot you'll need to keep the moulds on a hot plate or wait for the mould to come back up to temp.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 10:45:39 AM »
I have a number of double cavity Lee moulds, including .454 RB, 200gr conical, .375RB among others. My only downside to Lee is while they heay up fast, they cool down just as fast so if you're stoking the lead pot you'll need to keep the moulds on a hot plate or wait for the mould to come back up to temp.

Got to keep the lead flowing. I sometimes have to wait for mine to cool down enough to cast.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:56 PM »

That's why I use a 2 burner Coleman stove to melt my lead. I use the second burner to bring the mold up to temp and keep it there.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 03:04:46 PM »

That's why I use a 2 burner Coleman stove to melt my lead. I use the second burner to bring the mold up to temp and keep it there.
Gas or propane?
Gonna get one just to melt down in to ingots.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »

Gas or propane?

Mine is an old one that uses white gas. I suppose you could use a propane powered one as well.

-Abe Lincoln

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »

Gas or propane?

Mine is an old one that uses white gas. I suppose you could use a propane powered one as well.

perfect. Thanks

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »
Ok y’all I believe I have everything to start casting.
I have a LP stove and cast iron pot for making ingots and I have a Lee electric for casting balls.
I have the new 0.454 ball mold and a ladle.
I reckon I need to order some soft lead as I only have wheel weights and large fish weights of unknown lead
Any guesses on how many 0.454 “ balls I can get out of a pound off soft lead?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 04:54:47 PM »
Any guesses on how many 0.454 “ balls I can get out of a pound off soft lead?