Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How Does A Delrin Stamp Compare To Steel?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
How Does A Delrin Stamp Compare To Steel?
« on: December 07, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
I just got another makers stamp. I have been wanting an oval stamp for times when my other one doesn't fit or look right. My other one is a steel stamp made by Infinity Stamps. I wanted to see how the Grey Ghost Delrin stamps are. The order went smoothly and after I sent my artwork to Jeff, he had the stamp to me in a couple days. Great service, there. It took longer to get the steel stamp but there's more involved in making it.

This one was inspired by a Main & Winchester stamp.

Here's how it compares to my steel stamp.

The Delrin stamp is laser cut so the whole thing is straight cut where the steel stamp has tapered lines. The impression is ever so slightly crisper with the Delrin one but not greatly so. The image made with the steel one is slightly softer and maybe a bit more historically correct looking, but not by a lot.

What is the most different about them is that the laser cut image requires a heck of a lot more oomph to get a decent impression. My 32 oz UHMW mallet wasn't up to the task. I tried several times with it but finally found that I got a good impression from two whacks with a 1lb dead blow hammer (which is now one of my leather tools). On the plus side, lining up the stamp for the second blow was easy. I think it would work better with an arbor press or maybe in my drill press.

So which do I like better? I like my Infinity stamp a little better but the Grey Ghost stamp was considerably more affordable. Both are top quality. The steel stamp will last forever where the Delrin one may not. You wouldn't want to toss the Delrin one in a drawer with other tools. When the time comes to get another stamp, it'll depend on my mood which one I get but steel will probably win out.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: How Does A Delrin Stamp Compare To Steel?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
That's a good looking makers mark Robert.

I have 3 Grey Ghost delrin stamps now. Jeff can put just about anything you want on the stamp, and the price is reasonable. His service is second to none too. Fast and friendly.

I also found that whacking the stamp with a hammer required multiple strikes. I didn't like that. If it bounces at all, the imprint looks bad.

I started using my drill press, like an arbor press. I put a nice heavy piece of steel under the leather and use the drill press to push on the mandrel. It works perfectly.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 03:45:53 PM »
I've had a Delrin stamp for years.   My brass makers stamp was ruined so I ordered a Delrin replacement.   Mine is at least 15 years old now and still leaves a good impression.   I always use it on cased leather and rarely have to hit it more than once or twice with a 32 oz maul.   

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 04:02:30 PM »
Thanks guys. The dead blow mallet seems to be the way to go if you're going to whack it. A larger one would only require one hit. No bounce at all, either so I'll continue to use that with my steel stamp, too. I tried my 32 oz UHMW maul and it didn't do the trick very well. The maul just didn't deliver enough of the impact into the stamp. Plastic on plastic is going to give some bounce. That maul is barely enough for my other stamp. I haven't tried the drill press but certainly will do so. Also, maybe a 1-1/2 or 2 lb dead blow mallet might do the trick.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
I tried my stamp with the drill press and it worked great. Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »
I tried my stamp with the drill press and it worked great. Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.

Glad to be of service Robert!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 08:18:49 PM »
I like the oval imprint.  That looks sharp.

Don't know if I have ever been to Aromas but I've spent lots of quality time in and around Monterey, Aptos, Santa Cruz.  Fine country you all keep there.  Some of the best.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 09:58:36 PM »

Glad to be of service Robert!
Thanks. It certainly is a good idea.

I like the oval imprint.  That looks sharp.

Don't know if I have ever been to Aromas but I've spent lots of quality time in and around Monterey, Aptos, Santa Cruz.  Fine country you all keep there.  Some of the best.
Thank you. The oval is so traditional. There were other shapes but that seems to have been the most popular. It'll go on most things.

Aromas is centrally located but not actually situated on a route between any two places in the area. It's the town that time forgot. We only got a stop sign at the center of town about 10 years back. You do see someone on a horse now and then, too. We have two grocery stores, A feed store, an auto repair, a restaurant and a Grange hall. Oh, yeah, and the best dog park around.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 05:30:52 AM »
Marshal Will. That's very nice looking. You have the tools and the knowhow. My hats off to you sir.  :-* The place you live sounds like a nice place. Quiet, serene??

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »
Thanks, Zulch. Yeah, it's nice here. Quiet most of the time but with some traffic noise since a lot of people commute to other areas to work. It may be one of the smallest places with its own post office and zipcode. It has a population of almost 2500 including the outlying area. The town itself is only a couple blocks across. The train doesn't stop here.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 07:47:31 AM »
Thanks, Zulch. Yeah, it's nice here. Quiet most of the time but with some traffic noise since a lot of people commute to other areas to work. It may be one of the smallest places with its own post office and zipcode. It has a population of almost 2500 including the outlying area. The town itself is only a couple blocks across. The train doesn't stop here.
Wow. I would love to see that place. The land that time forgot. The wife and I and our 2 dogs just got back from California around Thanksgiving. We drove out there and back. about a 2.5 week vacation. We love California. We have probably been out there 20+ times in our lifetime together. Favorite vacation state for us. We were pleasantly surprised to see dog parks at gas stations off the interstates in New Mexico and Arizona on the way out! Dog parks are great, especially for travelers.  :usa-flag-89: Hopefully we can go through your town on the next trip.  :) By the way. "The train will stop at Tucumcari" Lee Van Cleef  :cowboypistol:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 08:18:05 AM »
Wow. I would love to see that place. The land that time forgot. The wife and I and our 2 dogs just got back from California around Thanksgiving. We drove out there and back. about a 2.5 week vacation. We love California. We have probably been out there 20+ times in our lifetime together. Favorite vacation state for us. We were pleasantly surprised to see dog parks at gas stations off the interstates in New Mexico and Arizona on the way out! Dog parks are great, especially for travelers.  :usa-flag-89: Hopefully we can go through your town on the next trip.  :) By the way. "The train will stop at Tucumcari" Lee Van Cleef  :cowboypistol:
Nice quote by Lee Van Cleef. In the 35+- years we've lived in Aromas, the train only stopped here when it derailed one Saturday night.  (7+"

If you get this way, we can meet up at the restaurant for a cup of coffee or something.

Here's what it looks like from my window.