Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: CCI Communication  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: CCI Communication
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 07:46:52 AM »
Personally, I have about 600 of #11/#10 each. That's enough to last me 5 years or more. With all the powder, caps, primers and smokeless I have I don't feel the need to create a land mine in my house.
How long would it take you to shoot off 1500 caps? That's the type of ?? you have to ask yourself.
A guy on another forum recently posted he bought 50# of black powder. He said "he will never shoot it up in his lifetime". That, my friends, is hoarding. Pure and simple. And, where do you store 50# of BP, anyway? Unless you have an outdoor magazine you are asking for BIG trouble IMHO.
Try explaining to your home insurance agent how your kitchen fire turned into a crater and see how that works out.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:46 AM »
Personally, I have about 600 of #11/#10 each. That's enough to last me 5 years or more. With all the powder, caps, primers and smokeless I have I don't feel the need to create a land mine in my house.
How long would it take you to shoot off 1500 caps? That's the type of ?? you have to ask yourself.
A guy on another forum recently posted he bought 50# of black powder. He said "he will never shoot it up in his lifetime". That, my friends, is hoarding. Pure and simple. And, where do you store 50# of BP, anyway? Unless you have an outdoor magazine you are asking for BIG trouble IMHO.
Try explaining to your home insurance agent how your kitchen fire turned into a crater and see how that works out.
Yeah...the insurance company would back away from that in short order and probably notify the authorities!!! GEEZ!! If I lived 100 miles from anyone 360 degrees circumference? and had a powder magazine? then yes, that would be okay. How many people have that luxury.  (7+"

Offline Baron Von Kesselwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »
i would like to have a go at those 50 #  of powder ,,  wonder if it is some good stuff or recent mfg ...  Smokin Gun surely would have no problem - at a pound  per round ...ha ha - the stories of the HIGH DESERT   *Z$    #k(

Offline Baron Von Kesselwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 08:56:30 AM »
caps  are a different story , having some extra is a good thing ..

i done some reading about mountain men when younger ,  they stayed with their flinter smoke poles for a long time ...

guess my scouting ways are showing from the 60's   ,, " BE PREPARED "   :rain-035:

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »
I think we place too much stock in TEOTWAWKI scenarios. If a man has between 500-1000 loaded rounds(or the components necessary to make them) for any caliber he shoots. He'll probably be ok. As always YMMV
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 10:22:43 AM »
i would like to have a go at those 50 #  of powder ,,  wonder if it is some good stuff or recent mfg ...  Smokin Gun surely would have no problem - at a pound  per round ...ha ha - the stories of the HIGH DESERT   *Z$    #k(
Baron, this Smokin' Gun man sounded like a very interesting person. (7&

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 11:02:25 AM »
It's no use trying to explain Hoarding behavior with common sense.  Common sense doesn't mean anything to a Hoarder.

Here's my dilemma,    I have 1200 Reminton #10 and #11 caps.   I have 500 each of #10 and #11 CCI caps.  When I go to a store for something else and see percussion caps for a reasonable price I will buy 1 or 2 tins.    I don't buy 10 at a time or empty the shelves of whatever is available.    Is this Hoarding?   I don't know how many is enough because I don't know what the future holds.    Should I stop buying caps because someone else thinks I have enough?    Were do I set the limit?    How much can you have before you are considered a bad person?   
I bought 10 pounds of Black Powder when the Goex plant shut down a couple months ago.   I could have bought 50 pounds when I ordered because it was available at the moment but I figure by the time I use up 10 pounds I may not care if I can buy more.   10 pounds is a lot of shooting but is it enough be classified as Hoarding.   I don't know but I figure it was the right amount for me given the circumstances.   We all have to decide what is best for ourselves and abide by our own conscience.

For the record,  I have never resold a single percussion cap, primer, powder or reloading component and I don't intend to.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:29:05 PM by mike116 »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »
It's no use trying to explain Hoarding behavior with common sense.  Common sense doesn't mean anything to a Hoarder.

Here's my dilemma,    I have 1200 Reminton #10 and #11 caps.   I have 500 each of #10 and #11 CCI caps.  When I go to a store for something else and see percussion caps for a reasonable price I will buy 1 or 2 tins.    I don't buy 10 at a time or empty the shelves of whatever is available.    Is this Hoarding?   I don't know how many is enough because I don't know what the future holds.    Should I stop buying caps because someone else thinks I have enough.    Were do i set the limit?    How much can you have before you are considered a bad person?   
I bought 10 pounds of Black Powder when the Goex plant shut down a couple months ago.   I could have bought 50 pounds when I ordered because it was available at the moment but I figure by the time I use up 10 pounds I may not care if I can buy more.   10 pounds is a lot of shooting but is it enough be classified as Hoarding.   I don't know but I figure it was the right amount for me given the circumstances.   We all have to decide what is best for ourselves and abide by our own conscience.

For the record,   have never resold a single percussion cap, primer, powder or reloading component and I don't intend to.

Mike,
    Seriously, that doesn't sound like hoarding to me because if it is? Then I am a hoarder. Somebody let me know if I'm a hoarder!?  L@J  I have a lot of caps too and if I see some while out at the pawn shop I will by two tins just like you said. I have 8 pounds of powder and don't feel like I need anymore even though occasionally there is an opportunity to buy some, I just let it go and pass. I'm borrowing this Mike, "We all have to decide what is best for ourselves and abide by our own conscience." very true statement. Thank you Mike.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 12:17:56 PM »
I think we place too much stock in TEOTWAWKI scenarios. If a man has between 500-1000 loaded rounds(or the components necessary to make them) for any caliber he shoots. He'll probably be ok. As always YMMV
Thank you Woodsrunner79, That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »
I agree with Mike. There's hoarding, and then there's being prepared. Hoarding is walking into the store and cleaning out the shelves of product. Anyone remember the toilet paper debacle? That is hoarding. Buying a couple tins of caps, every time you go to the store is being prepared.

I have about 1000 caps from Remington and RWS. I don't buy anymore, because I feel that if I burn through that many caps. I'm in big trouble. Same for powder. I have 12lbs on hand of various granulations. I found some the other day online, and ordered 4 more. 16lbs of powder should see me through any trouble. I don't consider that hoarding either.

Like Mike, I didn't buy any of it for re-sale. It is for my own use, and to be prepared. Now, there are people buying up everything and then re-selling it on places like GB. Those people I would classify as scalpers, not hoarders. They're trying to get rich off of other's misfortune. Lowest of the low.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:59:30 PM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
Roger that Dave👍👍

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
I'll go along with Mike's logic here. The person purchasing knows if he's just upping his supply chain to a comfort level, or being a complete jerk about it and either buying for resale (scalping) or being piggish about it and trying to snatch them out of the hands of other buyers.  When I bought my last load of caps, I tried punching in a ridiculous number number and adding them to my cart. The number took. I could have easily cleaned them out and bought enough caps to outlast me...but what about the next guy in line? As it is, I have enough to last several years of BP shooting, and hopefully the next guy in line will, too. And no; picking up a tin here, a tin there is not hoarding. It's keeping the warehouse full.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 06:13:23 PM »
OK,   so we mostly agree that staying stocked up on shooting essentials is not Hoarding behavior.   So how much can one person stockpile before "being prepared"  becomes hoarding?   
I feel like I have enough BP percussion supplies stocked in so I don't feel the need to get more until I reduce my stocks by at least 25% or so.  Then I will start buying some replacements.    This is where having a conscience comes into play.   Even though I may find shooting supplies available I will pass them by until I feel I need to replenish back to the level I feel comfortable.    Those without a conscience will continue to stock their shelves even when they know their personal needs are met.   I am afraid we have raised an entire generation of "ME FIRST" citizens (Millenials etc.) in this country and they are largely responsible for the Hoarding and profiteering behavior we are witnessing in today's society.   

Disclaimer;   apologies if it seems I turned this subject into a rant.   These are just my opinions and not backed by any research, studies, surveys, or science.   Just a guy getting older and more grumpy by the day.   

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »
..........I am afraid we have raised an entire generation of "ME FIRST" citizens (Millenials etc.) in this country and they are largely responsible for the Hoarding and profiteering behavior we are witnessing in today's society.   

I think this is the key to it all, right here.

Disclaimer;   apologies if it seems I turned this subject into a rant.   These are just my opinions and not backed by any research, studies, surveys, or science.   Just a guy getting older and more grumpy by the day.   

I 100% sympathize with you on this. I am feeling the same way, and like you it only gets worse from one day to the next.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2021, 05:57:29 AM »
Black powder and smokeless powder are really different. The primers and cap are used differently.  Hoarding has different meaning.  A pound of Unique will make 1500, 38 SPC. Rounds, but it will take 6+ lb of BP to fire tat many  30 gr loads of cap and ball shots.  That can of Unique does not appear as “hoarding”  as the BP.  I’ve been hoarding 35 years, but I was really bargain hunting.  When (before COVID). Ammo started to cost a dollar a bullet cap and ball really became more inviting.  That’s when #10 and#11 became hard to find.  My four cans of ff is not the same as my 3 cans of unique or my 5lb container of Reddot.  But it’s all out of sight. Never in conversation.
When caps became $25 to $35 a can I really started to make my own.  Hoard information.
    Anyhow,  now I’m retired, I live inDallas not in West Texas anymore. I don’t use up the supplies.
70+ years gives me a different view than I had 30 or40 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 06:31:24 AM by DragoonRick »