Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Practice till it hurts, or you're good  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
Re: Practice till it hurts, or you're good
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 01:29:33 PM »
SD - it makes sense if you look at it from the perspective of a mounted trooper wielding a saber. Most people are RH. Hence the carrying and drawing of the sword from the left hip. So, if you need to draw a revolver RH it only makes sense to carry it reversed on your right hip. That way you could draw it with either hand if called upon.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
G Dog - I love the name of your Horse.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
When I was in Law Enforcement we qualified monthly.  I made sure to qualify with both left and right hands. I also shot competitively and with both hands. To me, it comes naturally.  Like drinking my coffee!

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »
SH, did your agency/office/department require your people to qualify with their off hand?  Some do, some don't.  Good idea to practice with all-hands cause (as is known) anything can happen and often does.

Merry Christmas to you.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 05:29:25 PM »
SH, did your agency/office/department require your people to qualify with their off hand?  Some do, some don't.  Good idea to practice with all-hands cause (as is known) anything can happen and often does.

Merry Christmas to you.

No.

It was strongly encouraged but not required. I did it because I could.  It came in handy when I injured my right arm. The Captain was going to put me on unpaid leave, because “…you are a risk to the other Officers…”. I went to my locker and threw on my other belt with the left handed holster and every other piece of equipment mirrored. When the Senior RO provided my qualification records the Captain was pissed.  Oh well…

There is a reason I quit being a Cop.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
It's a thankless job and risky in a lot of ways.

Reverse draw makes a lot of sense. The Army thought it was a safer method. Accessible with either hand, both hands. Hickok had the right idea; anticipating combat.  He were da Boi.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 07:20:09 PM »
While celerity can often be the whole game, I have never practiced 'speed demon' fast draw stuff.  That has always seemed a fast track to losing a kneecap or blowin yer balls off. 

At the range or in the field I go for rapid and smooth, especially smooth.  Draw, cock, fire (pretty much in that order.  Joak).  Sometimes I'll re-holster after every shot and do it again.

Anyone here have their own personal practice drill?  Live fire or otherwise?  Still got yer junk? 

--   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
I did live fire fast draw, fanning and firing and twirling and firing when I was a kid. I was pretty good at it too, at least in my own mind. Altho I was never that great at getting more than one hit on a target fanning. I grew out of it sometime in my 20's. I just quit doing it. The only time I hurt myself was when I got my finger pinched between the trigger and trigger guard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.