Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Your own percussion caps  (Read 1543 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Your own percussion caps
« on: December 18, 2021, 07:52:03 PM »
I’d like to see a brief report from any of you Black Powder or sub users of your own percussion caps.
How are they working?
 Brief paragraph would do

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:48:55 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
Re: Your own percussion caps
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 05:04:40 PM »
I got my equipment from sharpshooter. I mix the prime all according to directions except I don’t use the binder that they include. I fill the cap 1/2 to 2/3 full. I use a brass punch to compress the dry mixture. I use acetone with Duco cement added to it. I place one drop in each cap, waiting about a minute or so, then add one more drop. I use pop or beer cans for the cap bodies. I have about 50-60 caps set aside to do a long storage test. January will be 6 months. I probably will take 20 and try them. Then maybe in March try again.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »
Lyle,
Good luck to you .  I hope the long  term storage works. 
Rick
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:01:31 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 07:31:15 AM »
I surveyed the commercial sources of percussion caps this morning.  I.E. Midway, Graf, mid south, Dixie, widners,
None of them had percussion caps in stock.  I don’t get it that after nearly three years they can’t source caps. There just aren’t that many manufacturers or suppliers. CCI, Remington and some others. The major retailers must have some pull.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 07:42:42 AM »
My LGS always has CCI #11 in stock. That and Pyrodex. I think they're the only place in MS that still sells either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 07:55:58 AM »
When I make it to a range here in Dallas area I don’t encounter Blackpowder shooters. There must be many out there. It is however a  small market compared to modern guns.  Even the revolver shooters are scares. In seven years I’ve encountered one cap and ball revolver shooter.  I admit my range time is limited to one trip every couple of months.
        Im guessing that BP shooters are not rushing to stores for supplies. No demand, no supplies.
      As of now my supply logistics chain starts in my garage.  I believe there are lots of Blackpowder guns out there. Most remain in the closet, because they demand commitment.  My brother has two Pietta 1858 revolvers and a good Investarm Hawken.  He never takes them to the range.  No demand no supplies.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:04:04 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 09:03:11 AM »
Rick, hi, your brother Buddy? He doesn’t shoot much? Where does he live?

Online Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 10:08:45 AM »
Rick, I believe the cap manufacturers are putting product out there, but in smaller quantities due to the primer shortage. And when they do, BP shooters buy as many as they can afford. Caps take up very little room in a home. In the past two years I have come across 2 bulk sales of caps (both at Cabelas and online only) and bought as many as I could afford. I now have enough #10 Remington caps to see me through the next decade of shooting unless something changes.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 01:59:53 PM »
My brother goes to his range often north of Abilene,Tx.  He only shoots Springfield M1A,  AR15,  Colt 1911,  and Beretta 9mm.  Never Blackpowder.