Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hammer down from half-cock  (Read 1919 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Hammer down from half-cock
« on: December 22, 2021, 09:13:49 PM »
When the revolver is in half-cock, say for loading or whatever reason, how do you go about putting the hammer all the way down?  Do you cock it fully and then bring the hammer down or do you set it down from the half-cock position without going into full cock? 

When you want to put the hammer on a safety slot or pin do you follow the same method?

Asking for a friend.   L@J

Thanks.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Hammer down from half-cock
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 09:29:03 PM »
After loading the gun on half cock, I always fully cock the hammer, then let it down. I actually think it's not a good practice to lower the hammer from half cock, although I'm not sure why. Maybe Mike will come along and elaborate for us.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 10:13:36 PM »
Thanks, Shotgun.  I've been thinking if this all day.  This is something I've taken as well established.  Totally taken for granted. The question came up early today at Muzzleloading Forum (Cylinder Rotating Counter-clockwise).  There were some interesting posts on this, including Goon's.

I have practiced your method/approach since an early teen exactly as you have described and for the same reasons you've mentioned.  I have never put the hammer down from half-cock.  Well, I've tried and satisfied myself that that ain't how to do it.

I hope other members here will give us the advantage of their opinions.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 11:17:41 PM »
If you let the hammer down from half cock the bolt is against the cylinder. On a cartridge gun this leads to cylinder scoring because the cylinder can turn until it locks. On a C&B the hammer should engage the safety notch or pins. If it doesn't it can lead to cylinder scoring. I've got a .36 Remington I bought used with the cylinder heavily scored all the way around. It's just good practice to fully cock the hammer and then let it down.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 07:14:42 AM »
You'll get ring around the collar. Don't do it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
Always, always, always bring hammer to full cock before lowering it on an empty chamber.  Doing so will ensure no ring around the cylinder. I've got Navies with thousands of rounds through them and no ring.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 02:57:05 PM »
Good deal, guys.  You all have confirmed what I was pretty sure I already knew.  It's just that the thread over at that 'other place' I mentioned sort of spun me, but I'm OK again now.  Thanks.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 04:27:23 PM »
Good deal, guys.  You all have confirmed what I was pretty sure I already knew.  It's just that the thread over at that 'other place' I mentioned sort of spun me, but I'm OK again now.  Thanks.

It's like the old joke from Hee Haw..."Doctor, Doctor...I broke my arm in 7 places! What should I do?"

Doctor (whacking patient with his hat) "Stay outta those places!" :no_no:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 05:03:37 PM »
G Dog,
 the main thing is - it's best go to 1/2 cock any time you're going to touch the cylinder with the off hand. The big "no no" is just pulling the hammer back "far enough" to do so and that's when "stuff happens".
  As far as letting the hammer down from 1/2 cock, there's no damage to anything unless the cylinder is turned after the fact which will damage the cylinder. If you're putting it on safety, (as for  bp revolvers or even between case heads on cartridge guns) you kinda have to do it from 1/2 cock because you can't turn the cylinder if you go to full cock first.
   The 4 click Colt action has a safety notch you could stop at on the way down. Bolt reset should've already happened and at that point you could go back to 1/2 cock and rectify the problem load, unload or locate the empty chamber.

Mike

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 05:13:02 PM »
G Dog,
 the main thing is - it's best go to 1/2 cock any time you're going to touch the cylinder with the off hand. The big "no no" is just pulling the hammer back "far enough" to do so and that's when "stuff happens".
  As far as letting the hammer down from 1/2 cock, there's no damage to anything unless the cylinder is turned after the fact which will damage the cylinder. If you're putting it on safety, (as for  bp revolvers or even between case heads on cartridge guns) you kinda have to do it from 1/2 cock because you can't turn the cylinder if you go to full cock first.
   The 4 click Colt action has a safety notch you could stop at on the way down. Bolt reset should've already happened and at that point you could go back to 1/2 cock and rectify the problem load, unload or locate the empty chamber.

Mike

This is true.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.