Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Palmetto Root revolver  (Read 4445 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Palmetto Root revolver
« on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »
I have been wanting one of these for quite some time. As you all know, they are very hard to find, and expensive when you do find one. So when this one fell into my lap, I scooped it up. A gentleman on another forum mentioned in a post, that he had one and that he wanted rid of it. He said it was taken apart and he could not figure out how to put it back together. He had even sold it once to someone else, and they too could not figure out the weird mechanism. So he refunded their money and put the gun in a drawer. Until I came along. He offered the gun to me for $200 as is, and I jumped on it. This is how the gun arrived to me.

As you can see, it's a jigsaw puzzle. There aren't any parts that look even remotely "Colt" like. And there isn't much information out there about these things. I found an exploded parts diagram for it and that's about it. So armed with that, I set about putting the thing back together.

You cans see through this window, the slotted and hooked end of the mainspring. It goes over the toggle in that little drum that fits in the hole. Very fiddly to say the least. Then the weird looking cylinder bolt slides up through the trigger hole and snakes up over that drum. I think Ol' Sam tried to make the most difficult mechanism he could!

Once you have all that in place, the hand goes in from the other side. And it's fiddly too, because everything has to be clocked exactly right for the hammer to go on. There was lots of cussing and holding my tongue just right to get this all together. But in the end, I got it. But there was one small problem. I put the spur trigger in place, installed the screw, and tried cocking the piece. No go. The hammer wouldn't hold on a notch and the trigger was flopping around in it's slot. Then the trigger fell completely out! Here is what I found.

The trigger snapped in half right at the hole for the screw. It must have been very thin and ready to break. Here's what it's supposed to look like.

I'm going to try and weld it back together and remake the screw hole in it. If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to try and make one. I've scoured the internet and there are exactly zero parts available for these pistols. Unless any of you guys know where to look. The loading lever latch on the barrel is missing as well. I think I can make one from a Navy work by filing it down. I have a couple of those laying around to try.

So here it is all in one piece (mostly) and fully functional (mostly). The hammer pulls and the cylinder indexes and locks up like it's supposed to. All I need now is a trigger. At least now, I have a hard to find Root for my collection.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Palmetto Root revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:00:40 AM »
Dave! That is an awesome looking revolver! When were those animals produced? Very cool my friend.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 10:11:51 AM »
Congratulations on your latest find.  I've alway wanted one.   S&Sfirearms has the trigger listed for $80.00.  They list all the parts from what I see. Unfortunately none are in stock. Call them and see.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:20:38 AM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 10:58:14 AM »
That's a nifty looking revolver.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »
Cool score, Dave. Congrats. I look forward to hearing how it is to play with.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 01:41:29 PM »
Thanks Fellas. Definitely excited to have this one. I knew if anyone would know where to get parts, it would be you Fingers. I'll call S&S and see if they can get the trigger. For what I have in this project, it'd be worth the $80 to get it up and running.

I did set about today to make a lever latch. With a bench grinder, a few files and some elbow grease, I was able to whittle one out of a Navy part. It was about twice as big as it should be, in all dimensions. But I think it looks the part now, and above all it works.

-Abe Lincoln

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
You go Smithy👍

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 03:12:10 PM »
So when you get the trigger fixed are ya gonna hunt some roots wif it? (7+" (7+" (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 03:47:58 PM »
That's very nice Dave!!!  So, what is it ? .44, .36,  .40,  10mm ,  .223,  30-30 ,   !!

Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »
That's very nice Dave!!!  So, what is it ? .44, .36,  .40,  10mm ,  .223,  30-30 ,   !!

Mike

Dave, outstanding job horsing that thing back together! Looks great! I knew you could do it! Now, go have yourself a frosty "Root Beer"!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
So when you get the trigger fixed are ya gonna hunt some roots wif it? (7+" (7+" (7+"

They'd have to be awfully small roots shootin em with a .31!!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »
Nice little piece, root and branch.  They came in .28, too.  Lee was given one when he left West Point after being the Supe there for three years.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Shootemup

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 07:43:22 PM »
Thats an awesome  looking gun Dave congrats

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 12:43:26 PM »
Hello Dave,
have you got that trigger problem solved?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
Hello Dave,
have you got that trigger problem solved?

Kinda Len. I found a piece of tool steel the appropriate size. It's sitting here next to me in the vice, awaiting my attention. Been busy the last few days, so I haven't messed with it. That is going to change real quick. Hope to have it sorted out this week.
-Abe Lincoln