Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hello, and greetings  (Read 2241 times)

Offline camo

• View Profile
Hello, and greetings
« on: January 23, 2022, 05:43:39 AM »
Been a Civil War student for many years and so about 40+ years ago bought a few blackpowder pistols to have and hold but never fired them. FINALLY about 10 years ago I put one on my pistol permit, studied like crazy all the information on how to shoot the darn thing and went to the range. Holly Hanna!! I fell in love, and couldn't get the smile off my face, came home and took it completely apart every screw cleaned it up and may have run some emery paper across some burrs I found, put it back together and it worked LOL. Well been hooked ever since must have bought, sold, traded about 10 or so guns but ended up with a small family that makes me happy. My oldest is a CVA 1861 Navy in 36 cal. My wife bought me this as a Christmas gift many years ago, made it and remade it two or three times finally settled on whatever color it is when I removed the bluing but it looks like INHO a worn original piece. the rest are: two blue Remington NMA 44 cal, and one stainless 44 cal, one Spiller and Burr 36 cal. and a Remington Pocket pistol in 31 cal. Learned a lot in these 10 years with more to learn but sure enough if I'm going to the range 9 out of 10 I'll be shooting black.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, and greetings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:25:00 AM »
    camo...hey again. Thanks for that synopsis of your life in black powder. You go way back it sounds. How do you like that Remingtn pocket .31?? Sounds interesting. Maybe you could hang a picture of it and your other arns? We all love pictures to enviously drool over. Shotgun Dave recently bought a Root but I will let him tell you about that one. I am certainly not as seasoned as you, or many others here, but I too understand how you can "get hooked"?? OH YEAH. HAHAHAHAHA, Look forward to conversing with you in the future. We hope that you will like it here. Sincerely   :usa-flag-89: Thanks, Tim

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:24:15 AM »
First of all, welcome to Colt Country!!! Great story about how you came to be a collector like the rest of us. It's definitely an addictive hobby!

We'd sure love to see your pistols. Maybe some pictures and stories if you can.

You've found the friendliest black powder site on the interwebs!!

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 01:58:12 PM »
Welcome Camo.  Yep, that's how it starts.  Ya get one, take it shooting and there's no turning back.  That's it; hooked for life.    :cowboypistol:
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:25:55 PM »
Welcome! I love my Remmies too.... among the others.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 04:43:03 PM »
Welcome, Camo! Glad to see you've joined us here at Colt Country! There is a dedicated Remington section of the board here and we'd love to see you fill it up with pix and tales of your various beauties! I myself have 7 of the darn things and they seem to multiply all by themselves! Looking forward to hearing more from you! :usa-flag-89:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 05:21:23 PM »
First of all, welcome to Colt Country!!! Great story about how you came to be a collector like the rest of us. It's definitely an addictive hobby!

We'd sure love to see your pistols. Maybe some pictures and stories if you can.

You've found the friendliest black powder site on the interwebs!!
Dave said it right. Welcome.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 05:42:07 PM »
Would be particularly interested to see what you've done with that CVA 1861.  I have a Pietta '61 from 1997 and need some metal surface ideas.

A family member has a steel Pietta Remington Pocket so I get to shoot one sometimes.  It's a shootin little SOB.  It was used once by a young lady to blow a fox off a hen house roof from a second story window.  Did the job. No more poultry theft from that one.  Those Rem .31's are perdy too.

Again, welcome to the treehouse camo.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle