Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What is the market like for centerfire 1873's (1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen)?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
I saw the thread here on the Rock Island auction and randomly check GunBroker but, prices are all over the place and reliable sales pricing is scarce and often without regard to the condition.

My normal sources for Italian Percussion/Black Powder 1873 options are all chronically back ordered so, I have also been looking at centerfire options.  Occasionally I stumble across old Gen 1 pistols which generally have frosted and pitted bores but, I'm really thinking of a Gen 2 "shooter grade" pistol.  I'm not looking to run 45LC +P loads so, any Colt 1873 should work well for me.  I am less enamored with a 44-40 or 38-40 but, if the right pistol showed up I could go that direction too.

Where should I be looking and what should I be looking to pay for a ~Gen 2 45LC pistol these days?  Would $1500 get me something not new but, also not abused or rust pitted?

TIA,
Sid

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: What is the market like for centerfire 1873's (1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen)?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »
If you're going to go that route Sid, you might also look into the USFA guns. They are as nice as a real Colt, and some of them were actually made in the USA from new USA parts. They're pricey, but worth every penny.

I think you'll have a hard time finding any of them myself. Real Colt 2nd Gen SAA's are hard to find too. Maybe Fingers will see this and offer his assistance. He's our Go-To guy for Colt stuff.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:34:33 AM »
I'm fairly uneducaed on the 1/2/3 SAA models so I'll let others who might know more answer your specific questions...
Overall, I agree with your assessment that any old SAA should do for BP .45LC. I would keep a close eye on GB. A lot of folks seem to be liquidating their assets these days.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:17:59 AM »
A friend of mine was a Colt collector. In his collection he had one good original shooter quality 1873, I think maybe 2nd generation. It just wasn't up to the rigors of standard or less loads of smokeless ammunition and eventually the cylinder let go and he had to send the thing to Turnbull to get a new top strap and cylinder. The collector value was gone, too. At least no one was hurt. Dave is right with the USFA being a good route to go. They're made with good quality modern steel and well worth the outlay.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 12:21:27 PM »
A friend of mine was a Colt collector. In his collection he had one good original shooter quality 1873, I think maybe 2nd generation. It just wasn't up to the rigors of standard or less loads of smokeless ammunition and eventually the cylinder let go and he had to send the thing to Turnbull to get a new top strap and cylinder. The collector value was gone, too. At least no one was hurt. Dave is right with the USFA being a good route to go. They're made with good quality modern steel and well worth the outlay.

Sounds like a 1st gen made before 1900. 1873 Colts have been proofed for smokeless since 1900. I wouldn't hesitate to use smokeless in one made since then. 1st gens ran from 1873-1941. 2nd gens ran from 1956-1974. 3rd gens ran from 1976 - present.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 01:16:32 PM »

Sounds like a 1st gen made before 1900. 1873 Colts have been proofed for smokeless since 1900. I wouldn't hesitate to use smokeless in one made since then. 1st gens ran from 1873-1941. 2nd gens ran from 1956-1974. 3rd gens ran from 1976 - present.
Thanks. His would have been one of the post-1900 1st Gen pistols, then. He knew enough to not shoot smokeless in a BP only frame. He did reload his own ammunition so perhaps he got a double charge. He had Turnbull make a note inside the grips so a collector in the future would know it had been rebuilt and wasn't completely original.