Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Back to shooting  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Back to shooting
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:42:25 PM »
After a break of almost two years (and boy does it show), I got some range time in. It's at an indoor range, so no black powder allowed. This place opened some years ago. I went into it when it opened and ended up not joining, mostly due to the attitude of the owner. It's changed hands, so I checked them out again. The employees were friendly and helpful. The place is clean, has decent prices on ammo and guns and shooting supplies. They also give discounts for law enforcement and military (current, retired, or veterans) for everything including memberships. So I joined and spent a little time on the range. I started with my Colt 1871 open top.

For the first time I shot it, I was not entirely displeased. First time I shot it, I'm out of practice, the sights are not good, and after eleven rounds, the ejector rod and housing fell off. I found the screw that had backed out. I'll have to blue Loctite it to keep it from happening again.

Here's the target (7 yards off-hand.) POA was the center dot.

I also shot my new P89. Did not do bad, but another new gun and so-so sights. Can't be my old eyes.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Back to shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »
I had no idea you had an open top! Beautiful gun, and not bad shooting for a 2 year layoff! Is that a .38?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:07:59 PM »
Yes.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 08:41:11 AM »
Love it EM! The 71-72 is my favorite gun. Looks like it's a good shooter.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »
Give me some time to get back in practice. I can do better.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 02:30:15 PM »
Good to see you got out!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 04:06:24 PM »
EM, Very nice. Glad you got to have some fun. I noticed the picture profile. The ejector rod housing looks slightly off axis with the barrel.  :icon_scratch: Is that because it fell off? Not securely fastened at the time of the photo? Just curious. Thanks for posting, I would sure love an open top .45. I can dream anyway.  Tim

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 04:22:10 PM »
Good eye, Z. 

A handsome piece, EM. Do you reload .38 or buy from the shop?
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 04:49:58 PM »
EM, Very nice. Glad you got to have some fun. I noticed the picture profile. The ejector rod housing looks slightly off axis with the barrel.  :icon_scratch: Is that because it fell off? Not securely fastened at the time of the photo? Just curious. Thanks for posting, I would sure love an open top .45. I can dream anyway.  Tim

I noticed that too. Maybe a trick of the light? They make them every day Z. Just go get one or a dozen.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 05:49:02 AM »

I noticed that too. Maybe a trick of the light? They make them every day Z. Just go get one or a dozen.
Could be that Hawg or twist of fate? I think you said the .38 Spl ammo is a little cheaper tham the .45? I'd be happy with one...but not a dozen??!!