Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 2692 times)

Offline brownie

• View Profile
Greetings
« on: March 14, 2022, 07:07:48 PM »
New member Brownie here,...thanks again for the response re: the Uberti 1860 Army that I missed.
Presently I have two Colts, '51 Navy, and a '62 Police, both second generation guns. The '51 has had the "Pettifogger arbor operation", and the barrel / cylinder gap reduced. Both have stainless steel nipples from Track of the Wolf which are far superior to the o.e.m. versions. Haven't bothered with the arbor operation on the '62 as the arbor fits tightly into its bore. Both have dovetailed replacement front sights.
I also have a Uberti '58 Remington Navy .36. It's only mods are new S.S. nipples and a better front sight.
Tried to post a photo, but didn't work.

Thanks,

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:19:46 PM »
Welcome but I betcha the arbor on the 62 is short.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:16:44 PM »
Since this is actually your 3rd post,

1. Welcome!

2. Welcome!

3. Welcome!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 05:03:45 AM »
Welcome from Colorado.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 05:45:36 AM »
New member Brownie here,...thanks again for the response re: the Uberti 1860 Army that I missed.
Presently I have two Colts, '51 Navy, and a '62 Police, both second generation guns. The '51 has had the "Pettifogger arbor operation", and the barrel / cylinder gap reduced. Both have stainless steel nipples from Track of the Wolf which are far superior to the o.e.m. versions. Haven't bothered with the arbor operation on the '62 as the arbor fits tightly into its bore. Both have dovetailed replacement front sights.
I also have a Uberti '58 Remington Navy .36. It's only mods are new S.S. nipples and a better front sight.
Tried to post a photo, but didn't work.

Thanks,
brownie, Welcome aboard. Are you using a phone to upload photos? Try and keep your photos below 1mgb. Phones take some large sized files as you may know and if you are using the phone that is probably why. Bottom line is, keep them 1mg and below and see if that works for you. Thanks for your posts on the 1860. Sorry you missed that one but there will be more right? :-) thanks, Z

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 07:03:49 AM »
Welcome again Brownie! Like I said before, you'll find friendly, helpful people here. Glad to have you here with us!

Look forward to seeing your wares, once you get the picture thing figured out.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline brownie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
Z...No Phone, I tried to load the photos from a laptop. This time I compressed the file to try that...

That didn't work either.
Got an Error message, file too big.

O.K. I'll try again...
Thanks,
Brownie

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 07:39:47 AM »
Welcome to Colt Country, brownie!
Very nice Remmy there. Tell me more...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »
brownie.. success!!! Great! Those revolvers are Fantastic!! Beautiful 👍👍

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 08:13:54 AM »
Lookin' good, Brownie. Very nice leather, too.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »
That's quite the entrance Brownie! Nice little collection you've put together. I really like that little Police model. I second Marshal's observation, very nice leather. Did you make it? There are several of us here that make leather.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 09:16:24 AM »
Good looking trio.

Offline brownie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 10:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the complements.
Yes, I make all my leather.
The Remington was purchased in '18 from DGW when they were on sale. Other than replacement nipples, I made a new front sight for it from stock brass for the base and an .074 (about 1/16 ") wide scrap of steel for the blade. I think wider is a little better, and I made it a bit high to file down as needed. I was a bit surprised, and very pleased with the fit, and finish of the Uberti Remington. Hard to see much daylight between the barrel and cylinder, yet that does not seem to cause any undue fowling issues after a half dozen or so full cylinder discharges. The mechanicals seemed adequately smooth right out of the box, although I did spend some time polishing parts, and cleaning the interior spaces of "scrap metal".

As mentioned, the O.E.M. nipples were too small to reasonably hold caps, so they were replaced.
I did have some trouble with occasional misfires that I attribute to a rather weak main spring. I made a brass shim that I slipped between the main spring and the frame that puts more bend into it over, and above what the adjustment screw does. This seemed to help. One of these days, I'll order another main spring in the hope that it will be stiffer than the o.e.m. spring. I think the hammer is getting sufficiently close to the nipple to crush the cap, it just needs a little more power behind.
The Remingtons are a bit larger and heavier than comparable Colt, so they would be just about perfect if they were more on the scale of a '51 Navy or even the '60 Army. But never the less, they're all great fun to shoot, better than their later cartridge offspring,....I.M.O.!
Brownie   

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 12:13:48 PM »
Welcome to the club….

Looks like your getting some good advice already!!!!

AG
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
Well your leatherwork is first rate. Very nicely done. And it looks like you know your way around a single action pistol. You'll fit right in here. Glad to have you.
-Abe Lincoln