Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Who makes Walker replicas  (Read 2248 times)

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
Who makes Walker replicas
« on: March 18, 2022, 06:01:03 AM »
And which ones to avoid?
I have yet to see a Pietta (my preference so far) based on the good luck I’ve had with them on other models.
I have started my hunt for a Walker.
Not in a hurry. I need to learn more.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Who makes Walker replicas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 06:14:50 AM »
And which ones to avoid?
I have yet to see a Pietta (my preference so far) based on the good luck I’ve had with them on other models.
I have started my hunt for a Walker.
Not in a hurry. I need to learn more.
AR, only current maker of Walker replicas is Uberti. Pietta has not made a Dragoon or Walker replica ever to my knowledge.
Armi San Marco made them until they went belly-up in the 1990s. The general consensus is the older ASMs were higher quality than the later models which have oft times been criticized for "soft internals", though I've not seen this myself.
Personally, I prefer the older ASM Walkers over Uberti due to (IMHO) better case color hardening (CCH), nicer bluing overall, extremely good wood-to-metal fit, and they lack the shiny red Uberti grips which I don't really care for. Many of them carry the proper Sam Colt address on the top of the barrel whereas the Uberti won't. Of course, any Uberti is going to have the infamous short arbor issue, but many of the ASM guns do as well. Bottom line is, if you want a NEW Walker, or Walker kit, it's gonna be Uberti. If you are willing to search on the auction sites and bide your time, some of the other makes can be found but not for a whole lot less these days, unfortunately. No doubt there were probably others that made Walker replicas as well, but I'm not familiar with them.
Hope this helps.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:26:21 AM »
You'll need to fix the arbor on any Walker you get (no matter who made it) if you want it to be "correct". I think the Colts address on the ASM barrels were leftovers from a run made for 2nd gens. Colt ended up not using them (or all of them) so ASM sold them on their examples and promptly got sued by Colt!!! Yikes!!

Anyway, I like all of them (makes)  to a point .  .  .  ASM parts are hard to come by and are brittle when you do (of course Pietta and Uberti parts are plentiful!!) .  .  .  Pietta's are pretty much the same revolver with different barrels stuck on um .  .  .   with Uberti, you at least get more proper sized pistols as for the pocket, belt and horse pistols.  The main caveat is the latest versions for the last dozen or so years have the best action parts ever put in a reproduction revolver (or even the originals I've seen!!).  Of coarse, that's just my observation .  .  .     

Mike

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 09:50:59 AM »
Thank you captain and 45.
Good information to know as I start my hunt.
Local Muzzleloader shop has a New Uberti for $485.00
I also have a Pietta G&G in my sights but figure it will sell before I get the money saved up.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
You’re hearing from some of the most knowledgeable folks AR. There are others who have a lot of experience as well that  will chime in I’m sure. I have a 2021 and 2012  Uberti Walkers. I’m no expert. I do like them. 😁👍👍 thats my 2 cents.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
Uberti, ASM and Palmetto are AFAIK the only ones that made Walkers. If you run across a Palmetto run the other way. :hurry: As for the Colt address on ASM's, Colt made the second gens from parts supplied by Uberti. Uberti subcontracted ASM to make barrels. When Colt ceased production ASM got stuck with a lot of Colt marked barrels. They did use them on their own guns and Colt did sue them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 05:33:04 PM »
Uberti, ASM and Palmetto are AFAIK the only ones that made Walkers. If you run across a Palmetto run the other way.

Ah, Palmetto. Knew I forgot at least one.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »
Uberti, ASM and Palmetto are AFAIK the only ones that made Walkers. If you run across a Palmetto run the other way. :hurry: As for the Colt address on ASM's, Colt made the second gens from parts supplied by Uberti. Uberti subcontracted ASM to make barrels. When Colt ceased production ASM got stuck with a lot of Colt marked barrels. They did use them on their own guns and Colt did sue them.
Palmetto as in palmetto state armory?
Thank you for the info.
Uberti or ASM it will be
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:23:46 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 06:36:27 PM »

NO, Palmetto was an Italian Manufacturer. Their logo was a palm tree in a circle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 05:37:36 AM »
Excited for you AR. In hot pursuit of the Walker. I have a feeling that your going to like it.  :cowboypistol: There ain't nothin' like a Walker. To me anyway. There are some who don't really care for them. I for one can't understand why though. I hope you find one sooner that later AR.

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 06:00:35 AM »

NO, Palmetto was an Italian Manufacturer. Their logo was a palm tree in a circle.
I truly appreciate the education I get from here and from you Hawg.👍

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 06:04:16 AM »
Excited for you AR. In hot pursuit of the Walker. I have a feeling that your going to like it.  :cowboypistol: There ain't nothin' like a Walker. To me anyway. There are some who don't really care for them. I for one can't understand why though. I hope you find one sooner that later AR.
Not hot pursuit just starting to look and learn.
If I move too fast I’ll have to move in with you and I eat a lot and tend to drag my feet at household chores cept wiping down colts. 😀

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 06:09:42 AM »
If I move too fast I’ll have to move in with you and I eat a lot and tend to drag my feet at household chores cept wiping down colts. 😀

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....you're killin' me AR!! Great sense of humor ya got there.  :-[ I do hope you were kidding? HAHAHAHAHA. Well don't drag your feet on gittin' you a Walker and I don't mean, a walker to aid your draggin' feet.

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 08:56:40 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....you're killin' me AR!! Great sense of humor ya got there.  :-[ I do hope you were kidding? HAHAHAHAHA. Well don't drag your feet on gittin' you a Walker and I don't mean, a walker to aid your draggin' feet.

Trying not to drag my feet but considering I just recently bought that Navy I feel like I need to get a couple home projects done before the next.
At least I think someone in this household thinks that.🤣
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 05:45:40 AM by Zulch »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 05:48:28 AM »
That sounds all to familiar AR. My occupation? Doormat. LOL Just kiddin' I found a Walker on GB my last purchase. Think I got it for about $405 that was tax and shipping included so not a bad deal in this day and age.