Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Breaking it in!  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Breaking it in!
« on: April 12, 2022, 09:27:44 AM »
Well, most of you know I purchased an Uberti Richards-Mason Army conversion a couple weeks ago, chambered in .45 Colt and featuring a 5.5" barrel with blued back strap and trigger guard. The reason for purchase was twofold; one being the fact that I can shoot my BPCR .45 Colt rounds out of it at my favorite BP range, but the other being that during the off-season here in the midwest (BP range is closed Dec.-April, and then only open if the road is passable), I would be able to shoot a "real" cowboy-type gun at the indoor range, which does not allow black powder. True, I do have my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem. Magnum, but it's not quite the same. It's a modern handgun build for full power smokeless loads. I wanted a horse of a different color, as the Wizard might remark.
In choosing this gun, I noticed that the standard .45 Colt cartridge loaded with 35gr of 3F behind a 250gr lead pill could also be loaded, using the same bullet, to around the same muzzle velocities using smokeless (I chose a load of 7.5gr Unique) and seeing as how this little gem was proofed for smokeless (unlike many of the Kirst Konversions where the cylinder is proofed, but the barrel...not so much!) and could theoretically handle any safe SAAMI load, it just seemed the right thing to do to load up a bunch of smokeless rounds with roughly the same MV as BP would give.
So, after fixing the ubiquitous Uberti "short arbor" and ending up with a rock-solid .002 cylinder gap, I decided to head off to the indoor range and see what my new toy could do. :nocomment:
Well, what it could do, was SHOOT, fellers! I rolled the target backer out about midway down the 25yd range (guessing 15-17 yards?) and loaded her up. I was immediately pleased to see my shots printing and grouping quite well! In fact, lots better than the SBH ever manages to group, despite the target sights! Guess maybe I'm getting used to centering the front blade in a hammer notch? At any rate, other than printing a bit to the right, it was very pleasing to shoot...not heavy on the recoil, comfortable as all get-out and well balanced. The Army grip was, quite honestly, the most comfortable handgun I've ever held, or fired. No knuckle-bashing. No 'pinky curling'. Just point-and-shoot with Colt Navy instinctive comfort, more finger room, and better balance. As natural as falling off a log, you might say. Ok, there. I said it.
My only negative comment at this point is that the Mason ejector is about as handy as a one-armed paper hanger. It requires a clockwise quarter-twist that is both awkward and frustrating as it only works about half the time the way it should, and when you 'think' you have the empty centered in the cutout, the ejector rod seems to want to hit the meat between cylinder bores. I think a #2 Saratoga pencil would work as well, if not better, or maybe a piece of hardwood dowel rod in my range kit? Shotgun Dave says it will likely loosen up in time. Sure hope so, because it's not much good as-is!
Back to shooting...I put all 50 rounds I'd loaded as a trial basis. All grouped well shooting Weaver-style off-hand, and the gun performed like it thought I was Wild Bill or sump'n. And after popping off all 50, I put another 50 through the SBH and immediately decided, magnum or not, I liked the RM a whole lot better. So, it appears I've struck pay dirt with both the gun and the load. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so they say.  L@J
My spent brass is in the tumbler waiting to be rejuvenated, and frankly, I can't wait!
This was one of the best decisions I've made in quite some time, and if any of you are considering similar, don't hesitate. You'll be glad you did.

50 little soldiers at attention and ready for action; 7.5gr Unique behind a 250gr cast lead bullet.

At ease, soldiers!

Tools of the trade

Fire in the hole! Ready for action on the range!

First couple cylinders...roughly 15-17 yards off-hand.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:14:47 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking it in!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:55:05 AM »
Glad you finally made it over to the Open Top cartridge gun side Capt. Mine is my #1 favorite shooter. Looks like yours is a good shooter, as well as a good looking gun.

Give that ejector a little time. It takes some getting used to, and it will break in a bit. It's that little kick up at the end that causes the trouble. it's designed to keep the ejector rod handle up tight against the barrel, and out of the way.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
Thanks, Dave! One point I'd like to drive home...just because it was a brand new gun, does not mean it didn't come with the inherent short arbor issue...and as Mike (Goon) explained, it doesn't take long for even a brand new, fresh-out-of-the-box gun to start beating the dog-snot out of itself. It's such an easy fix, too. Eat your peas. Pull the Band-Aid off. Just do it. Mom would approve.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 10:10:20 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:27:23 AM »
Fantastic post Cap!!. So glad you had a good time with your new and shall I say, favorite??? Revolver??. It must be nice shooting .45 caliber bullets. I have yet to shoot my .38 special RM but when I do I will post. It will be iteresting to see how the ejector works on this one. It, as you know, is the older style shorter ejector housing but it too has the slight little turn before plunging toward the cylinder. It does seem somewhat flimsy to me compared to the rest of the gun. I'm sure it won't be as exciting shooting .38 spcl as it would be a .45. I do love the bigger guns and almost wish that I had done as you did and bought a .45 RM. I'm sure it will be a fun one too. No complaints intended. RM's are simply beautiful. Fine craftsmanship as best I can see. The arbor? I need to do as you did before I kick start her.   

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Fantastic post Cap!!. So glad you had a good time with your new and shall I say, favorite??? Revolver??. It must be nice shooting .45 caliber bullets. I have yet to shoot my .38 special RM but when I do I will post. It will be iteresting to see how the ejector works on this one. It, as you know, is the older style shorter ejector housing but it too has the slight little turn before plunging toward the cylinder. It does seem somewhat flimsy to me compared to the rest of the gun. I'm sure it won't be as exciting shooting .38 spcl as it would be a .45. I do love the bigger guns and almost wish that I had done as you did and bought a .45 RM. I'm sure it will be a fun one too. No complaints intended. RM's are simply beautiful. Fine craftsmanship as best I can see. The arbor? I need to do as you did before I kick start her.

I'm sure you will find .38 Spl loads quite accurate in your RM, Tim. Lighter loads make for a better shooter as you are not trying to compensate for the recoil as much.
Let me know when you get ready to tinker with the shimming of the arbor. I can walk you through it step by step. And you'd better shoot it soon before it turns into a pumpkin.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 10:35:47 AM »
Roger that Cap. I know, I'm such a slacker. Some might say, lazy? Your post has ignited my enthusiasm!! Thank you Sir.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 10:39:30 AM »
Yeah that ejector is a PITA but it does get easier.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 10:40:31 AM »
You've got me wanting a .38 Tim. I still want to convert my sheriff barrel 61' into a .38. You might just push me to do it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 10:47:33 AM »
You've got me wanting a .38 Tim. I still want to convert my sheriff barrel 61' into a .38. You might just push me to do it.

No kidding Dave? Why the smaller caliber?

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 11:16:13 AM »
I can't speak for Dave but for me I have never reloaded .45 Colt. I don't need another caliber to reload for. I'm already set up for .38 special. I can at least pretend it's .38 LC. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 11:29:02 AM »
I can't speak for Dave but for me I have never reloaded .45 Colt. I don't need another caliber to reload for. I'm already set up for .38 special. I can at least pretend it's .38 LC. (7+"
In my case, I already had the components and dies, etc to load .45 Colt for my Taylor's and Howell conversions. It was a no-brainer for me. Like Hawg says, no need to stock up on dies and components for a whole new caliber. Just adds cost to the whole setup.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 12:15:35 PM »
I used to use Unique for .45 Colt and other calibres back in the U.K. It was superb in .45 Colt, a very versatile powder compatible with many calibres.

Only drawback with it I found was that it was very dirty compared to other powders.

Can't get it in Spain.

Fabulous looking revolver, looks like a great shooter too.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
I bought a SS Ruger SBH back in 1980. I also bought my first reloading press, mold etc. I knew nothing about reloading or which powders to use. I asked the guy at the gun store about powders and he recommended Unique. I used 11 grains of Unique behind a 255 grain Keith. After a couple of cylinders full that SS was black and greasy. I had loaded 50 rounds. I managed to shoot all 50 but the remainder of that pound of powder went into the trash can and I've never used Unique again nor will I. I bought a pound of W 296 and never looked back.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 02:25:13 PM »

No kidding Dave? Why the smaller caliber?

Because I already have several .45 Colt guns. Why add another one? I'd rather shoot something different. With a .38 I can shoot .38 Special and .38 Colt. I'd just need the dies and brass. I wouldn't even cast my own, I'd just buy a box of cast bullets and load em up.Or if I got lazy, just buy factory ammo and shoot all I want.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 07:38:23 PM »
Sounds like a great day Captain!! Congratulations!!

Didn't shoot the "big gal" ?  (You can shoot smokless outta that thing!!)

Mike