Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Guns of Infamy  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Guns of Infamy
« on: May 09, 2022, 08:28:32 AM »
Thanks to a suggestion by CC member Camo, we have started a new thread dedicated to some of the guns used by persons of notoriety. These include black powder Colts as well as other makes and models. As with Wikipedia, please feel free to add, fact-check, and verify with trusted data as well as add your comments. Thanks!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Infamy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:41:06 AM »
Really looking forward to this. Should bring about lots of discussion.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »
I agree. This is a good subject and should generate numerous interesting threads.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:39:12 AM »
Great suggestion camo!! Thank you! :-*

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
Thank you for creating this thread I am looking forward to reading it and it looks like others are also.  :usa-flag-89:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:26:51 PM by Captainkirk »
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 06:50:13 AM »
Bat Masterson's "letter to Colt":

Please send Me one of your nickel plated short .45 calibre revolvers. It is for my own use and for that reason I would like to have a little Extra pains taken with it. I am willing to pay Extra for Extra work. Make it very Easy on the trigger and have the front Sight a little higher and thicker than the ordinary pistol of this Kind. Put on a gutta percha handle and send it as soon as possible, have the barrel about the same length that the ejector rod is.
Truly Yours,
W B Masterson

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/27262/lot/14/bat-mastersons-colt-single-action-army-revolver-custom-ordered-from-the-opera-house-saloon-dodge-city-july-24-1885-serial-no-112737-for-1884-45-caliber-4-34-inch-barrel/

There have been so many shysters trying to pass off 5 1/2" barrel Colt as Bat Masterson's. They should do 5 minutes research and get on track.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:46:18 AM by AZ6Gun »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 07:07:19 AM »
Great addition to this thread, as much as you are a great addition to this forum, AZ6!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 07:15:05 AM »
I second that AZ6G  (7&

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »
Well....Bat may well have had a 5.5" Colt before 1885. I'm sure he carried a few different firearms before 1885 from his time in Colorado and Arizona, before heading back to Dodge City. But the provenance on this one is solid it appears. That's pretty damn awesome.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 09:43:16 AM »
Well....Bat may well have had a 5.5" Colt before 1885. I'm sure he carried a few different firearms before 1885 from his time in Colorado and Arizona, before heading back to Dodge City. But the provenance on this one is solid it appears. That's pretty damn awesome.

After Bat became a sportswriter back east, he was known to go buy old Colts from pawn shops to give to certain cliental when they would offer to buy one of "his" guns.

https://www.magzter.com/stories/Lifestyle/True-West/Bat-Masterson-Armed-and-Dangerous

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 10:21:50 AM »
There have been so many shysters trying to pass off 5 1/2" barrel Colt as Bat Masterson's. They should do 5 minutes research and get on track.

Bat Masterson did it himself. He bought a lot of old Colt's and sold them as the one he used so some of those people may well have had a gun handed down through generations that was bought from Bat and really believed it was his.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AZ6Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 01:49:23 PM »
Bat Masterson did it himself. He bought a lot of old Colt's and sold them as the one he used so some of those people may well have had a gun handed down through generations that was bought from Bat and really believed it was his.

I just said that.    L@J :cowboypistol:   (7+"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 02:40:18 PM »

I just said that.    L@J :cowboypistol:   (7+"

Yeah you did. I typed it out and my wife called me to come do something before I posted. When I came back I just posted it without checking.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 04:45:47 PM »

After Bat became a sportswriter back east, he was known to go buy old Colts from pawn shops to give to certain cliental when they would offer to buy one of "his" guns.

https://www.magzter.com/stories/Lifestyle/True-West/Bat-Masterson-Armed-and-Dangerous

Very similar to Josey Marcus Earp. Cashing in when they could.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick