Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The guns of Jesse James  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: The guns of Jesse James
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »
Ran across this https://www.loc.gov/resource/cph.3a53077/
Purportedly, this was Jesse' last gun used. Not sure if it means literally. Maybe it was the type he was using at the time but not this actual revolver? One may never truly know.
Anyone on this board own a 45 Schofield? I would like to have one but I'm told they are very pricey.
Show us your Schofield!!

I don't have a Schofield but my cousin has a pair of them. They're really fun to shoot especially when there's a reload on the clock. Break it open and it tosses the casings, drop a live round in the appropriately indexed chamber and close. Cock and shoot.

You can't fan one, though, so if you're into that, it isn't going to happen without some gunsmithing to modify the action.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the grip. It felt like a curved club in my hand. The Russian has a good shaped grip but there is the finger spur on the trigger guard to snag on things. Taylor's & Co offers a model which is basically a Russian without the spur on the trigger guard. That would be the one I would get if I were to get one. Yes, pricey but certainly a superior design of the era. It's easy to see why they were favored by some.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
Ran across this https://www.loc.gov/resource/cph.3a53077/
Purportedly, this was Jesse' last gun used. Not sure if it means literally. Maybe it was the type he was using at the time but not this actual revolver? One may never truly know.
Anyone on this board own a 45 Schofield? I would like to have one but I'm told they are very pricey.
Show us your Schofield!!

I don't have a Schofield but my cousin has a pair of them. They're really fun to shoot especially when there's a reload on the clock. Break it open and it tosses the casings, drop a live round in the appropriately indexed chamber and close. Cock and shoot.

You can't fan one, though, so if you're into that, it isn't going to happen without some gunsmithing to modify the action.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the grip. It felt like a curved club in my hand. The Russian has a good shaped grip but there is the finger spur on the trigger guard to snag on things. Taylor's & Co offers a model which is basically a Russian without the spur on the trigger guard. That would be the one I would get if I were to get one. Yes, pricey but certainly a superior design of the era. It's easy to see why they were favored by some.
Marshal thanks. Did they only make the Schofield in .45 caliber?

For the most part, the originals were in .45 Schofield and the Russians were in .44 S&W Russian, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:00:33 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 02:17:09 PM »
it only make sense he had more than one pistol ( most of us do and we don't use them for work lol) I guess since the S&W Scofield was a favorite thats the one that gets the fame. I agree I'd have one in a NY minute but $$$$ and so I won't but still a gun of infamy. Thanks Capt.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
it only make sense he had more than one pistol ( most of us do and we don't use them for work lol) I guess since the S&W Scofield was a favorite thats the one that gets the fame. I agree I'd have one in a NY minute but $$$$ and so I won't but still a gun of infamy. Thanks Capt.
My guess was he probably settled on the Schofield due to the extremely fast ability to dump the empties and complete access for loading without the inconvenience of a loading gate. But that's just my own opinion.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 06:37:33 AM »
Thanks for that information Cap.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »
My guess was he probably settled on the Schofield due to the extremely fast ability to dump the empties and complete access for loading without the inconvenience of a loading gate. But that's just my own opinion.

I'd say that was a pretty good assumption.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 11:35:59 AM »
I think nine out of ten outlaws would have agreed that fast reloads are a terrific featuh in a handgun when ambitious law dawgs were on their trail.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:02:19 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 11:55:41 AM »
Mike Beliveau giving a quick rundown on the Schofield:

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 12:01:36 PM »
Another cool gun i never heard of. Thanks for posting capn

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 12:16:11 PM »
Bob, It's a beauty huh? Ever since I found out about this Schofield? I've been wanting one. I have to save my dollars now. Many dollars. HAHAHAHA. Tim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
Bob, It's a beauty huh? Ever since I found out about this Schofield? I've been wanting one. I have to save my dollars now. Many dollars. HAHAHAHA. Tim

Like, "a fistful of dollars"?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »
Roger that Cap!!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »
I had a Schofield and really liked it, but it didn't like black powder cartridges so I traded it for a Uberti 1873 Winchester 44-40 about 15 years ago.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2022, 01:52:04 PM »
I had a Schofield and really liked it, but it didn't like black powder cartridges so I traded it for a Uberti 1873 Winchester 44-40 about 15 years ago.
Bishop Creek. Thank for that info. That’s a nice looking gun!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2022, 03:00:38 PM »
Bishop Creek. Thank for that info. That’s a nice looking gun!

Uberti did away with the gas collar to make the cylinder long enough for .45 Colt cartridges. They should have extended the frame length by that much and kept the collar.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.