Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The guns of Jesse James  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
The guns of Jesse James
« on: May 09, 2022, 08:35:05 AM »
While most BP enthusiasts are familiar with many of the outlaws of the Old West, I can't think of anyone I've met who hasn't heard of the outlaw Jesse James. While Jesse undoubtedly used any number of guns throughout his illustrious career, probably the most famous was the gun he was using at the time of his assassination by "that dirty little coward", Bob Ford...his prized Smith and Wesson Schofield.
Here is a short NRA clip featuring photos of the actual gun Jesse used:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/jesse-james-gun/

The following article lists other guns Jesse may or may not have used but offers little in the way of verifying other than the serial number of the 1873 Colt.

https://www.guns.com/news/2014/04/03/guns-jesse-james-mother-videos

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: The guns of Jesse James
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:55:21 AM »
Thanks for the links. That second article is quite an informative piece regarding the number and types of guns he had owned and used. This is a good thread, pard.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:44:00 AM »
Great post Cap. Sounds as if Zerelda Samuel, his mother, was also an outlaw at heart as the article states.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:09:40 PM by Zulch »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:50:15 AM »
Great post Cap. Sounds as if Zarelda Samuel, his mother, was also an outlaw at heart as the article states.

If nothing else, she was PT Barnum in a dress...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
I think I saw a program a while back, maybe on the History Channel, where a guy supposedly has the S&W that Jesse carried. It even had blood stains under the grip panel that they were going to have DNA tested. Not sure what the outcome ever was.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 01:34:27 PM »
Anyone who rode with Quantrill or Bill Anderson during the War deserved a bullet or a rope.  They were murderous psychopaths - not soldiers.

It would have been a righteous pleasure to go after those people.  Black flag, all the way.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »
I think I saw a program a while back, maybe on the History Channel, where a guy supposedly has the S&W that Jesse carried. It even had blood stains under the grip panel that they were going to have DNA tested. Not sure what the outcome ever was.

Back in the mid 90's the History Channel ran a show where they exhumed Jesse's body to do DNA testing to see if it really was him. I don't remember the why of it but they had to do mitochondrial DNA testing from his teeth which is taken from the mothers side of the family. Mitochondrial DNA didn't prove it was him but it proved if it wasn't him it was a member of the family. Since they recovered the .36 ball he was shot in the chest with in 1864 I tend to believe it was him.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »

Back in the mid 90's the History Channel ran a show where they exhumed Jesse's body to do DNA testing to see if it really was him. I don't remember the why of it but they had to do mitochondrial DNA testing from his teeth which is taken from the mothers side of the family. Mitochondrial DNA didn't prove it was him but it proved if it wasn't him it was a member of the family. Since they recovered the .36 ball he was shot in the chest with in 1864 I tend to believe it was him.

I remember that show too Hawg. If I'm not mistaken, there was someone claiming to be direct relative of Jesse James.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 03:26:27 PM »

I remember that show too Hawg. If I'm not mistaken, there was someone claiming to be direct relative of Jesse James.

If it's the one I'm thinking about he wasn't. He believed he was but the DNA ruled it out.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »
Love that holster! That was an awfully popular pistol. Wyatt Earp carried one as well. Probably 2 of the most talked about characters from the old west.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 10:25:01 AM »
I visited the James' farm in 2016.
This was a Dragoon attributed to him.
Weird that they found it OK to tack on a big text plate on the grip.
They also had a Winchester on display .....

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 10:31:39 AM »
Why, on posting pics, mine get overflowing the screen and you have to click them in order to reduce them to fit, where as earlier it was the other way around  :question:

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 03:17:21 PM »
Why, on posting pics, mine get overflowing the screen and you have to click them in order to reduce them to fit, where as earlier it was the other way around  :question:

Don't know. Lemme look.

I changed the parameters a bit. Does that look better?
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 08:48:56 AM »
Ran across this https://www.loc.gov/resource/cph.3a53077/
Purportedly, this was Jesse' last gun used. Not sure if it means literally. Maybe it was the type he was using at the time but not this actual revolver? One may never truly know.
Anyone on this board own a 45 Schofield? I would like to have one but I'm told they are very pricey.
Show us your Schofield!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 08:59:05 AM by Zulch »