Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Arsenal rebuild 1851  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Arsenal rebuild 1851
« on: May 10, 2022, 03:47:21 PM »
 Is how it's advertised. Does anybody see anything wrong with this picture? Does anybody see anything right with it? The guy that bought it now wants 1350 for it.  (7+" https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-civil-war-colt-1851-navy-percussion-revolver-arsenal-refit-with-mismatched-serial-numbers?variant=19124376666181
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal rebuild 1851
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 04:02:52 PM »
Ahhhhhhh yes!! Hawg, I did see that post elsewhere. Unbelievable what that person wants for that homogenized gun. Seems like one thing as you mentioned was/is the site on that one. Should have the ball site being an 1851.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 04:07:05 PM »
I have seen original 1851 Colt's with blade sights like that one has, to me the cap channel looks very odd and the frame is blued.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »
I agree Bishop Creek. Looks as if someone took a dremel to it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:45:22 PM »
I have seen original 1851 Colt's with blade sights like that one has, to me the cap channel looks very odd and the frame is blued.

They didn't come with them. The frame is a .44 frame. The cap channel and loading port have been butchered. The barrel lug doesn't meet the frame. The hammer spur is almost vertical.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 06:21:06 PM »
Now I see it Hawg, the stepped frame, not a Navy frame. The blade sights could be special ordered from Colt back in the day.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 07:20:45 PM »
Now I see it Hawg, the stepped frame, not a Navy frame. The blade sights could be special ordered from Colt back in the day.

Learn something every day month.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »
Hawg, it's amazing how you picked up on the Army frame right away, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. You have a good eye.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 08:04:58 AM »
Hawg, it's amazing how you picked up on the Army frame right away, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. You have a good eye.

Somebody posted on the forum where I found it and noticed the rebate is too far back. I wonder what was up with that. My eye apparently isn't all that good. I should have caught that.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 03:49:01 PM »
Poor job…. Even if it has some original parts.  Maybe the mother-of-Pearl inlays on the grips are original… L@J