Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Fitting a conversion to a reproduction - How to?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a conversion to a reproduction - How to?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 11:53:53 AM »
BTW...the above gun is a late model Pietta 'sheriff' version fitted with Taylor's six shot conversion. Complete drop-in. No tuning required. 5 seconds to switch between that and C&B cylinder. Highly recommended.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 02:39:26 PM »
Hello NLM,

I must admit I have not tried a Kirst Conversion on the Remington.
Even though it's a five shot, I believe it has six positions, 5 chambers and one safety position.
They might be plug & play, I don't know. I do have a five shot Kirst Gated on a Pietta 1851 in 45 Colt.
It needed help getting it timed, but after the tuneup it still works with the Percussion Cylinder.
My other two conversions are with Howell Cylinders, a five shot on another 1851 Pietta.
And a six shot on my 1858, but that ones chambered in .44 Colt Original.
The Howell six shot in .45 Colt used an angled chamber, cartridges are at about 1/2 degree angle to the bore.
These seem to work well. Howell also makes a gated six shot in .45 Colt.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 07:04:03 PM »
I have been pretty lucky with conversion cylinders. Got my first one back in 2000 from Kirst, a 5 shot cylinder and it dropped right into my 1999 Pietta Remington with no work needed. In 2003 I bought a .36 cal Remington and purchased a 6 shot Howell (R&D) conversion cylinder in .38 and had the barrel relined to .357. Again total straight drop in from the factory with no smithing needed. The Howell's and Taylors cylinders are identical. A few years later a I obtained a Kirst 6 shot conversion cylinder for my Ruger Old Army and it worked flawlessly right out of the box.

In 2005 bought a 5 1/2 barrel Remington like the Captain's and recently bought two cylinders for it, a Kirst .22 cylinder and Kirst's new "Equalizer" in .45 Colt. I had a problem with fitting and timing on both cylinders so I contacted Kirst's gun smith, Bill Kelly, and he told me he was confident that he could fit and time all three cylinders, cap & Ball, .22, and the .45 to work in one gun, the 5 1/2 barrel Remington. So off the gun goes to him.

I recently purchased an 1851 .44 Yank Snubnose and my Kirst Colt .22 conversion cylinder dropped right in, no smithing needed.

Pictured below are two of my Remington's, with an early Kirst.45 Long Colt cylinder on top and below that my .36 Remington with the Howell's .38 (R&D) cylinder.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:34:49 PM by Bishop Creek »
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.