Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Fitting a conversion to a reproduction - How to?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline NLM

• View Profile
Fitting a conversion to a reproduction - How to?
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:24:02 PM »
How does one go about fitting a conversion cylinder to a reproduction 1858 Remington.  Not brass but steel framed.  Does this need to go to a gunsmith or is this a "simple" process?

Thanks All!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a conversion to a reproduction - How to?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 05:57:33 PM »
Variations in the manufacturing of these reproductions means that the conversion cylinder manufacturer has to make them to fit the sloppiest pistol. That means they will almost always need some fitting. If you're not proficient 'smithing your pistols, you are money ahead to send it to the manufacturer of the cylinder to be fitted properly.

If you're up to it, then have at it and call the manufacturer to talk to their gunsmith so he can tell you exactly what needs to be done and how to do the different steps.

I edited this post because my reply wasn't applicable to a Remington. My bad on that. There are some very helpful replies in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:35:31 AM by Marshal Will »

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »
If you're up to it

That's me..  With hardware I suck.  At least that is what my professor told me years ago in school...

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:05:01 PM »
If you're up to it

That's me..  With hardware I suck.  At least that is what my professor told me years ago in school...
Save yourself the headaches and send it in. You will be pleased by the job they do with it.

What kind of pistol and which conversion are you getting?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 06:46:47 PM »
Keep in mind that if the conversion cylinder needs timing then the C&B cylinder will no longer work.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 07:36:13 PM »
If you are working with an '58 Remington it's much easier than with the open top Colts.    No short arbor to worry about or wedge to fit.    The Remington is more of a drop-in situation.    The loading channel is the hardest part.   If you want you can just buy a drop-in conversion and shoot loose powder or cartridges without modifying the frame at all.

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 01:52:33 AM »
Thanks all for the input.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 07:28:49 AM »
Is it a Howell type or a Kirst?

Mike

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 05:47:51 AM »
Neither yet.  What is the preference?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 07:28:32 AM »
Keep in mind that if the conversion cylinder needs timing then the C&B cylinder will no longer work.

Hi Hawg, if one is careful they can get a single hand to work for both conversion cylinders and C&B cylinders.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 08:58:59 AM »
Neither yet.  What is the preference?

It depends on if you want a six shot drop cylinder or a 5 shot gated conversion.

I just installed a new Kirst "Equalizer"  gated conversion in a new Pietta. I made an ejector for it out of an 1860  conversion ejector. I really like it a lot and am installing another one in an Uberti for an article  to be written up (on the Kirst, not necessarily me). 

Mike

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »
Hello NLM,

As you posted this in the 1858 Remington section I assume your talking about a Remington.

If your going to a six shot, it should be as easy as removing
the percussion cylinder and installing the conversion cylinder.

On a Remington, the removal of the cylinder is not a big issue for reloading.
However, if you want a gated conversion you'll need to remove a lot of frame material.

If your thinking of a five shot, look for some timing issues.
Many claim they're plug & play, but both of mine were not.

What ever you decide, they are fun.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
NLM,
First, we are assuming this is for an 1858 NMA Remington model, given the fact that you've posted your question in that section. If so, proceed.

DROP-IN CYLINDERS
Next, you need to determine if your gun is an Uberti, Pietta, or 'other' manufacture. If either Pietta or Uberti, proceed. If ASM, ASP, or other manufacturer, send it to a gunsmith for installation and tuning. If Pietta or Uberti manufactured, proceed.

Next, determine date of manufacture by reading either the Roman numerals or capital letters within a box stamped on the lower frame. For dating info, see this thread:

https://coltcountryforum.com/index.php/topic,4942.0.html

If your revolver is a Pietta and was manufactured PRIOR TO 2002 when CAM/CAD machining was introduced, it's quite likely it will not be a drop-in. I can't say definitively when Uberti moved to this process...proceed with caution.

Next, determine whether you want a SIX SHOT or FIVE SHOT configuration. Note that the six shot version do not have safety notch between cylinders so when carrying, for safety's sake load five and drop the hammer on the empty. When shooting at the range it's probably OK to load six at the firing line. Both Taylor's and Howell offer the six shot. When installing the six shot version, most likely if it's a drop-in fit, you won't have to mess with timing.

Still with me?

If you have decided the 5 shot is your huckleberry, I recommend sending it to a BP gunsmith. Not only will it need timing (moving from a 6 to 5 shot spacing) but it's recommended a two-stage hand be installed at this time. Also note that altering the timing from a 6 to 5 will make your original C&B cylinder much less likely to operate properly.

If you have determined your gun is a Pietta, post '02 production, and you are going for the Howell's or Taylor's 6 shot conversion, chances are very good it will drop right in with no alterations and swap between conversion and C&B in seconds. However, if it does not...you still have the option to send it to a 'smith. Both Howell's and Taylor's offer installation and fitting services as does our resident gunsmith expert, 45 Dragoon (Goon's Gun Works)

GATED CONVERSION:
If planning on a gated conversion, I recommend sending it out. Period.

Links:

Goon's Gun Works

https://www.goonsgunworks.com/

Howell's Old West

https://www.howellarms.com/1858-remington

Taylor's and Co.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/conversion-cylinders/1858-remington.html

Kirst Konverter

https://kirstkonverter.com/1858-remington.html

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 10:50:08 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »

Hi Hawg, if one is careful they can get a single hand to work for both conversion cylinders and C&B cylinders.

Regards,
Richard

Not sure how that would work. If one has to be timed to work then the other one won't work. Maybe if you timed the cylinder itself.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
I gotta say, they ARE fun!!!!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 12:11:56 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"