Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt 1860 ~ 2nd Gen ~ Value  (Read 2323 times)

Offline BobK

• View Profile
Colt 1860 ~ 2nd Gen ~ Value
« on: June 04, 2022, 08:11:42 AM »
I have a Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army in the black box that I am thinking of selling. It has been fired but is in good shape and has an overall gray patina. I paid $650 for it back in 2013. I'd like to get back what I paid but see prices all over the place.  Is this the proper place to be asking what it might be worth in todays market ? Thank you, Bob

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Colt 1860 ~ 2nd Gen ~ Value
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 04:16:38 PM »
Keep checking in. Fingers will be along. He's probably the best source on pricing 2nd gens.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 03:48:30 PM »
Any more photos of the revolver ?  What was used to clean it with ?  The bluing looks sort of altered to me.  Maybe the cleaner made it fade.  None of mine look like that.  I do know of guys who used Semichrome polish to clean their guns back in the ‘70’s.  It just about took the bluing off the steel.  They were cartridge guns…

Offline BobK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »
I have no idea how it was used or cleaned. I either bought it at a show in PA years ago from a woman who was selling her husbands guns and other stuff.

I have the original receipt indicating it was bought from ASHLAND SHOOTING SUPPLIES DISTRIBUTORS, Ashland, Ohio March 4, 1981by a gentleman in Ohio who's name I will not publish here.

Seems to be in nice shape and was not abused.  I never shot it.

FYI: It sold for $245.72, tax $13.51 (5.5%) and $4.00 shipping.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:59:55 PM by BobK »

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 04:03:51 PM »
2nd Gens are bringing really good prices right now. We have a 51 and a 60 in the shop now that look like brand new. We're asking around $1,000 each for them. We paid a quite handsome price to get them....both are in wood display boxes. They both have spent a little time on a gunsmiths bench before we got them.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 04:41:57 PM »
You could sell that gun at Lodgewood, either consignment or they will buy it outright at a fair price. They sell a lot of original and 2nd Gen Colts that look used as does yours. Their clientele seems to like holster worn guns and they even antique and defarb too.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Pistols-and-Revolvers_c_125.html
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline BobK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 05:50:31 AM »
Bishop Creek,
Thank you for the link, I also have a Pocket model 2nd gen and will definitely reach out to them.
Bob

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 07:40:20 PM »
Keep checking in. Fingers will be along. He's probably the best source on pricing 2nd gens.
  If it is fully functional and doesn't show any evidence of abuse or excessive wear, it should bring around $400 - 500.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline BobK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 04:49:59 AM »
Thank you, Bob

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »
Here is an idea:  Keep it and shoot the tar out of that beauty.  You've got it - use it.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline BobK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »
Here is an idea:  Keep it and shoot the tar out of that beauty.  You've got it - use it.

That was my intention when I bought it but that just never happened....... and circumstances changed particularly when age and some illness came on the scene.  So, have sold all my flintlocks, powder horns, bags and related items and down to just these two (the army and the pocket police) which are the last of the black powder.

Was more active on this site years ago but fell off and then had to sign up again.

Thanks for the suggestion.....

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 11:01:50 AM »
That's my idea of a good look on an 1860.  It'll sell if you choose to go that way.  Many of our persuasion are very partial to patina.

Best wishes, BobK
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 06:35:34 AM »
now THATS a beautiful gun… wish it was mine… why not try to sell it here first?

AG
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline BobK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 06:43:11 AM »
I will post it here first but was trying to get an idea of its current value. And the only one I got so far was from Fingers, haven't heard back from anyone at LodgeWood that Bishop Creek suggested in over 3 days now. 

I'll post it and the 1862 2ng gen Pocket Police I have along with a Navy Arms made by Uberti in a day or so and ask what I paid and see where it goes from there.

As I mentioned I was on this forum years ago so I would prefer someone here goi it or them.

Bob

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
I'd like to have that 60 but I'm financially embarrassed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.