Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Finally got a range day  (Read 1483 times)

Offline camo

• View Profile
Finally got a range day
« on: June 12, 2022, 06:38:51 AM »
In June my local range opens on Fridays for a couple of months and it's a good day to go because it's mostly just retirees and not crowded at all. Decided to bring the 1861 Navy in 36 cal. it has been a long while since firing that one and dropped the 9mm in the bag just to stay familiar with that modern plastic but ideal defensive pistol. Got to the range and after greetings and catching up from the winter I got to the bench and commenced with loading the Navy But what to my wondering eyes I couldn't get the round balls to seat they would just stuck and came back up with the plunger????? I checked the box .375 swaged rd balls but what? finally figured out if I pushed the ball in then turned the cylinder a bit it would seat the ball. fired six and went at loading another cylinder and first two go off then nothing, on full cock the trigger won't release the hammer, *@%$^ pull the caps off remove the nipples and shake out the powder (what a waste) and bag it to remove the balls at home. Load up the 9mm and first round bang holding the semi like a revolver slide rash on my thumb (oh momma) so the rash is leaking and mixing with sweaty hands and I'm a little embarrassed for making such a beginner mistake. So i pack up and call it a day. Later home take apart the '61 clean and reasemble it works fine busted a cylinder of caps everything works fine lol. So that was my range day, however had fun disassembling the '61 and cleaning both guns, I'll admit to having a cold one working in the garage with Hank Sr. on the radio and it was a fun and fustrating day. Still don't know why the balls wounldn't seat but I'll ponder that another day. Hope they did't shrink as they got older!
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got a range day
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 07:09:01 AM »
Sorry your 1st day back at the range was a mixed bag of not so much fun. So, it sounds like the balls were sticking to the plunger seat? I’ve heard others discuss that. The cylinder would not initially accept the ball until you shifted the cylinder a little? 🤔 I wonder if the cylinder is moving too far in the first position? Overthrow or something like that? Well at least you had fun disassembling the Navy and listening to the real Hank Williams👍

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 11:35:02 AM »
Polish the face of the plunger and try .380 for a tighter fit.
 )%g
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »
The cup on the ram is too sharp and is cutting into the balls. I had that problem with my dragoon. Just run a file across it and flatten it out some and it should be fine. If it isn't then .380's should stop it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline camo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 04:52:44 AM »
Thanks for the help, think I'll try the file first and see how that works out to use up the 375's I have then move up to the 380's thanks again.
What did you think, before the 11:00 news told you what to think?

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »
Camo,
 My visit to the range last Sat echoed the same issues. I couldn’t get my cap and ball dragoon to shoot reliably..  I have a Browning hi-power. The range master had to help me clear jams etc. like you said newbi issues.
I’m determined to do better next time.
Dragoon Rick