Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: John Ringgold aka Johnny Ringo's famous Colt SAA Revolver S/N 222  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: John Ringgold aka Johnny Ringo's famous Colt SAA Revolver S/N 222
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 05:50:19 PM »
LOL.....it's Hollywood. The truth is an after thought. Doc never used a holster when in Tombstone and Wyatt never carried a Buntline either. Ringo was no "gunfighter" as we know them from Hollywood. There were few (if any) "quick draw" type shoot outs at all. You shot gunned them on a dark street or shot them through a pool hall window. So pistol barrel length would not be that big of issue for any of them, except BP seems to prefer a longer barrel.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »
There are lots of tree in close proximity...just pick one. Not sure it actually still survives but the trees here are very old...so I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of them.

I'm wondering if the stone pillar is supposed to be where the tree stood. The Tombstone Epitaph ran a story on July 22nd 1882 that said he was sitting on a large stone and was leaning against a tree.  https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95060906/1882-07-22/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1880&index=0&rows=20&words=JOHN+John+RINGO+Ringo&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=Arizona&date2=1900&proxtext=John+Ringo&y=12&x=4&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1  It goes on to say what he was wearing, describing the wound etc. It's a good read.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 06:35:00 PM »
LOL.....it's Hollywood. The truth is an after thought. Doc never used a holster when in Tombstone and Wyatt never carried a Buntline either. Ringo was no "gunfighter" as we know them from Hollywood. There were few (if any) "quick draw" type shoot outs at all. You shot gunned them on a dark street or shot them through a pool hall window. So pistol barrel length would not be that big of issue for any of them, except BP seems to prefer a longer barrel.

How true, among the very few real fast draw shootists were Bill Hickok and John Wesley Hardin, with Hardin the leader by far. Even their gunfights were few and far between. Some historians believe that Holiday was carrying a Colt 1851 Richards conversion and that Wyatt had a Smith & Wesson American in his coat pocket at the OK Corral shootout.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »
Doc would have has his Lightning if he was carrying a pistol...and yes Wyatt liked the Model 3 Smith. I'm not sure if a Model 3 would fit in a coat pocket though....I've never tried. I know my Schofield is too big for even my period coat pockets.

But you have to remember, Tombstone was quite metropolitan....and firearms were not allowed to be carried in the city limits. Only the local constabulary carried guns.....usually.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:11:15 PM by Miguel Loco »
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 07:03:56 PM »
There are lots of tree in close proximity...just pick one. Not sure it actually still survives but the trees here are very old...so I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of them.

I'm wondering if the stone pillar is supposed to be where the tree stood. The Tombstone Epitaph ran a story on July 22nd 1882 that said he was sitting on a large stone and was leaning against a tree.  https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn95060906/1882-07-22/ed-1/seq-3/#date1=1880&index=0&rows=20&words=JOHN+John+RINGO+Ringo&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=Arizona&date2=1900&proxtext=John+Ringo&y=12&x=4&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1  It goes on to say what he was wearing, describing the wound etc. It's a good read.

That's probably the best description we have to go on. If there was another party involved it may explain a few things. If one of Ringo's enemies ran into him out there, they could have forced him off his horse, made him remove his boots to make it more difficult to run away....walked him to that tree....put the gun in Ringo's hand and pulled the trigger....then set the stage (so to speak) for a suicide.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 07:17:42 PM »
Jeezzz.....I guess I've given away the fact that this is where my interests lie. Lol
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 08:01:14 PM »
Jeezzz.....I guess I've given away the fact that this is where my interests lie. Lol

It used to be one of mine but as with most historical mysteries there's more questions than answers.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »
You're living in the right place, then. I find the history of the old West most fascinating.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2022, 05:15:55 AM »
Doc would have has his Lightning if he was carrying a pistol...and yes Wyatt liked the Model 3 Smith. I'm not sure if a Model 3 would fit in a coat pocket though....I've never tried. I know my Schofield is too big for even my period coat pockets.

But you have to remember, Tombstone was quite metropolitan....and firearms were not allowed to be carried in the city limits. Only the local constabulary carried guns.....usually.

Schofield huh? Wow. I'm jealous Mick. The Schofield will be my next purchase. Someday.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 05:51:41 AM »
Hmmmm .  .   .  seems  a 45C would be hard to hold onto after shooting ones self in the head. I think I remember learning that hand guns are usually not in the hands of suicide victims.

aside from that,  everybody knows it was Doc with a shot to the forehead!!!  Didn't y'all see the movie?!!!   (7+"

Interesting nonetheless!

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2022, 05:55:30 AM »
Yeah, that is interesting Mike.  I also read in some article that he had a "firm grip" on it when pulled from his hand??  (7+"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2022, 07:32:35 AM »
Great addition to this topic, Tim! And Mick, you go on as long as you like! I'm learning a whole bunch on this one, things I didn't know.  :cowboypistol:
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »
Yeah, that is interesting Mike.  I also read in some article that he had a "firm grip" on it when pulled from his hand??  (7+"

That would actually make sense. Rigor mortis would have had time to set in before they found him. It might have been exceedingly difficult to remove it.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2022, 08:09:15 AM »

That would actually make sense. Rigor mortis would have had time to set in before they found him. It might have been exceedingly difficult to remove it.
Hawg, That's most likely true, I never even considered that.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »
Now y'all have gone and piqued my interest again. :gaah: I've been doing some online reading to try and refresh my memory. I have/had some books on the subject but if I still have them they're still at the old house. I don't know if I had Traywick's book or not. While it is possible Wyatt killed him I don't think he did. Doc was in court in Colorado so he couldn't have killed him. In my mind if anybody killed him it would have been Buckskin Frank Leslie. Frank killed Billy Claiborne and as he lay dying Billy said he saw Frank kill Ringo. Later on while he was in prison he supposedly told a guard he killed Ringo. I still think it was suicide.