Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pawn Shop Discovery  (Read 1736 times)

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Pawn Shop Discovery
« on: June 16, 2022, 07:34:06 PM »
I stopped by a ratty old pawn shop in a small town in southern Colorado a few months back.   The shop has some general merchandise but mostly the guy sells used guns.   I looked at an SAA Clone that he had in the case but I really wasn't interested.    It was one of the Dakota models imported by Intercontinental Arms back in the '70s.    Since it was chambered in .357 magnum and the Dakotas didn't have a great reputation,  most were Italian made clones by ASM or Armi Jager which had brass grip frames and were know for lousy quality in general I decided to leave.    Right before I put the revolver back I noticed a mark I didn't recognize.    It was a tiny cross on the left side of the frame.    I decided to do some research and learned a couple things I was unaware of.      Fast forward to a couple weeks ago....    I went back to the Shop and took another look at the revolver.  This time I had a better appreciation for what I was looking at.    The Swiss arms company Hammerli had built a few SAA clones for Intercontinental Arms from 1969 to 1971.  Only a couple thousand were made and most of them were the "Virginia Dragoon" models with nickel plated trigger guard  and back strap.   
After looking the gun over again I decided to walk away for a second time.   I was impressed with the function and feel of the gun,  it is better than any Uberti gun I have.   It feels more like a real Colt than any Clone I have seen.    I walked away again because the dealer would not reduce his price by even one nickel and because .357 magnum is just not right.    Anyway,  after I left I couldn't stop thinking about how smooth and effortless the action worked and how good the long barrel looked even with the brass furniture.   Long story even longer...   I went back the next day on my way home,  paid for the gun and filled out the background check.    The dealer submitted the paper work and I waited,  and waited,  and waited.    Three hours later and two hours after the shop closed the background check had still not come back.    I had to leave and go home.   This was Saturday afternoon,   the background check was finally approved on Monday at 5:00 pm.    I ended up driving the 300 mile round trip last Friday to retrieve the gun.      I took it out and shot 6 rounds just to check it out before returning home with it.   If you count the cost of fuel these days this gun was not much of a bargain but I like it anyway and it will make a great shooter.

Here's all the markings on the revolver.    There are no proof marks or date codes like the Italian copies have.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Pawn Shop Discovery
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
That's a good find. Congratulations on your purchase. Thanks for the photos. It looks pristine. The cross on it is in keeping with the Swiss origins.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 05:20:04 AM »
You have been very busy Mike. I really like that one. I agree Marshal, it does look to be in incredible condition. How does the craftsmanship compare with the Italian clones in your opinion?

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 05:26:51 AM »
Neat!  I've never heard of Hammerli making anything but top notch stuff.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 05:37:01 AM »
You have been very busy Mike. I really like that one. I agree Marshal, it does look to be in incredible condition. How does the craftsmanship compare with the Italian clones in your opinion?

As mentioned earlier,  the action is better than any Italian reproduction I have owned or fired.    The bluing is more blue than the current finishes if you know what I mean, and color case hardening is very good.     I'd say the fit is pretty much the same as any Uberti of the same age.  Pretty good but not as good as current reproductions from Italy.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 05:42:56 AM »
Very nice find Mike!!   :cowboypistol:

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 05:44:14 AM »
Thank you Mike. Looks like a very nice gun. I don't know that I've ever seen a Swiss made replica before. Thank you for the pictures.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 07:34:53 AM »
Mike, you seem to stumble across some amazing deals. This being one of them!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
Mike, you seem to stumble across some amazing deals. This being one of them!

I do my best.   I am addicted to visiting "hole in the wall" gun shops and Pawn brokers.   You never know what will turn up in the Mom & Pop shops,  especially in small towns.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »
That is nice. I wish they still did bluing like that. I don't care much for the solid black they do these days.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 10:26:44 AM »
I knew that Hammerli was known for their high quality guns. But I had no idea they made SAA clones. That is a nice find Mike. The caliber is a bit of a disappointment, but the quality and rarity of the gun makes up for that.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »
I knew that Hammerli was known for their high quality guns. But I had no idea they made SAA clones. That is a nice find Mike. The caliber is a bit of a disappointment, but the quality and rarity of the gun makes up for that.

I didn't know they made any revolvers at all.   I too was aware of their reputation for making high quality rifles.   Hammerli made these revolvers in .357 mag and .45 Colt.   Now I'll be looking for one of the .45 versions.    In the mean time at least it's cheap to shoot .38 special.    I do have some .357/.38 spec reloading dies around here somewhere.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 11:01:46 AM »
That's a good idea Mike. You could make up some BP .38 Specials and shoot pretty inexpensively.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 06:56:09 AM »
Looks fabulous a real quality piece. I had no idea Hammerli made SAA replicas. Obviously made by them in Switzerland it's a very high end revolver. Great find.