Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Colt Single Action Revolvers, Jerry Kuhnhausen  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Colt Single Action Revolvers, Jerry Kuhnhausen
« on: June 17, 2022, 10:37:35 AM »
  After speaking with Mike of Goons Gun Works, I purchased this book. Does anyone else have this book? It is loaded with mechanical workings information about our pride and joy Colts!! I bought this book listed as used through Amazon for $45. It is loaded with illustrations!! I am digging into it and really enjoying thus far! Just wanted to share my good fortune. Love to hear some feedback if anyone wishes to share their thoughts about this book.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Re: The Colt Single Action Revolvers, Jerry Kuhnhausen
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 12:54:45 PM »
Just saw this, Zulch, so a little late in response. Yes, I have this book and would not be without it!! Using the illustrations I was able to match up the correct bolt for a friends 1st Gen. Colt SAA. Then the directions walk you through the correct fitting procedure. I could have fitted the bolt, but it is nice to know exactly how it is/was done at the Colt factory. When I have a job or project(Colt SAA type internals), the first thing I do is reference this book. I periodically peruse the book just for enjoyment as much of the information is applicable to the Colt type Open Tops and other Single Action sixguns from the same time period. Hope you get much use from this book!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 01:04:33 PM »
Why am I just now seeing this? I don't have the book but those that do rave about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 03:40:30 PM »
Hawg, this is the best book(my opinion of course) I've ever run across for the Colt SAA. There is almost nothing missing on the workings of these guns and Mr. Kuhnhausen describes and illustrates Colt factory specs and dimensions on every part from every generation and how Colt factory technicians assembled them. If you work on these things, I would call the book a must have.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
I don't have one but now I'm interested  :usa-flag-89: :usa-flag-89:

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 03:47:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input this far. I was beginning to think it must have been a boring topic. I too peruse the book like the holy grail of books, I have much to learn .

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »
Hawg, this is the best book(my opinion of course) I've ever run across for the Colt SAA. There is almost nothing missing on the workings of these guns and Mr. Kuhnhausen describes and illustrates Colt factory specs and dimensions on every part from every generation and how Colt factory technicians assembled them. If you work on these things, I would call the book a must have.

Work on them no. Tinker when I have to yes. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 06:13:00 PM »
Yep, this is THE "gun tuner" /"gunsmith " reference book. If you look at the credits, you'll see Jim Martin  was responsible for most of the illustrations and technical information for fitting/ tuning/ factory assembly  with sequence.

This is why I'm so honored to have had him as an "instructor " / mentor  and still keep in touch with him. 

Sorry  I missed this thread when you posted it the first time Z !!!!

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 05:21:16 AM »
Yep, this is THE "gun tuner" /"gunsmith " reference book. If you look at the credits, you'll see Jim Martin  was responsible for most of the illustrations and technical information for fitting/ tuning/ factory assembly  with sequence.

This is why I'm so honored to have had him as an "instructor " / mentor  and still keep in touch with him. 

Sorry  I missed this thread when you posted it the first time Z !!!!

Mike
Thanks for the input Mike. I appreciate you recommending this book to me awhile back.