Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Rake or how to keep caps out of the action.  (Read 1461 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Cap Rake or how to keep caps out of the action.
« on: June 18, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »
Here is another article by Mr. Pettifogger. I also put it in the list in the pinned thread.

I felt it could use it's own post here, because it's a frequently asked question. If you have your own way of making your cap rakes, please post it here too.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Cap Rake or how to keep caps out of the action.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »
I make  .  .  .  Uh um  "cap posts"   (7+" ,  (by cutting to an appropriate length for working with) #6 X 32 s.s. machine screws.

I use a drill motor and remove the threads (with a bench sander) on part of the screw. I then cut off the "cleaned off" stud along with 2 or 3 threads remaining.  This will screw into a drilled and tapped hole in the thin material of the recoil ring above the ratchet section  of the cyl.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 05:02:29 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »
Degrease the hole and post. Install the post with red thread-locker.

Using a cutoff  wheel, you'll reduce the height of the post to be even with the top of the cone sec of the nipple.  Using the safety notch already in the hammer face, shave the sides of the post to fit the existing  notch.

Lastly,  you'll  make a clearance cut in the hammer to allow the hammer to come to rest. ( a smaller cutoff wheel is good here! Don't  widen the notch in the hammer!!!)

Mike
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 05:01:50 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 04:26:56 PM »
That’s mighty NICE Mike. Was wondering how that little guy worked into the action. Nice photo! How long does it take you to install. I know that you are a veteran of this process. Just curious. 👍👍 thanks Tim

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 05:08:49 PM »
Hey Tim, probably a 15 -20 minute operation. A piece of silicone tubing makes a dandy "tool" for installing them.

The tube grips the post and makes it easy to screw the post in place.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 05:22:28 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 05:54:07 PM »
Wow! What a great idea Mike. Picture too👍👍 thank you sir.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 08:34:20 AM »
Hi, if you only shoot C&B a cap rake makes sense. However, if you also use conversion cylinders, there is an issue opening up the hammer gap. The conversion cylinder firing pins don't get hit squarely and the gap peens and widens. The method I use to minimize cap jams is to fill the hammer gap with soft solder and polishing the hammer face. When there is nothing to grab the spent cap, it usually stays on the nipple.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 09:14:46 AM »
  Just to be clear I said, you fit the post to the existing safety notch in the hammer and not to enlarge it. Some of my customers want their revolvers set up to be a true convertible and there's been no problems.  But all this is purely for information so, there's more than one way to do most anything .  .  .

Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 12:32:24 PM »
Thanks for imparting your wisdom on us Mike. Great pics and very easy to follow directions.

I don't know why I call it a rake. I guess I heard it somewhere and it just stuck in my brain.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln