Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Very Interesting Historic Firearm.  (Read 947 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Very Interesting Historic Firearm.
« on: June 18, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »
One relatively unknown character from the Apache War era was Al Seiber. He served as "Chief Of Scouts" for much of those doings. He served with Gen. George Crook and was a mentor to Tom Horn among many other remarkable things. This is a character that should be more well known.

Here is a pistol and holster that supposedly belonged to him. Quite interesting. Love the holster as well. You don't see many of these pistols with a cartridge conversion. He was far better known as being proficient with a rifle. His go to was a 76 Winchester in 45-75. In one battle with the Apache's, the Army managed to kill 18 Apaches.....Al's count was 9. I wouldn't have wanted to go up againt this guy!

More about Al.... https://frontierpartisans.com/773/al-sieber-chief-of-scouts/

"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Very Interesting Historic Firearm.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 01:25:40 PM »
Cool!!! His eyes bore a hole straight through you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 02:33:18 PM »
That is a nice gun and holster👍👍 thanks for posting Mick. I need to read up on this guy. Sounds very interesting.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 02:49:37 PM »
So cool learning about new characters from that time. Thanks for posting this Mick!

That's a Whitney isn't it? I've never seen one converted before. Very cool. And you're right, the holster is fantastic too. It would appear that Al had a little bit of flair!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »
Yes Dave....it was made by the Apaches for Al. Note the crossed arrow medallion. That was to designate Apache Scouts of which Al was in charge. I like the way the beading was done on it. I may have to try it one of these days.

Tim....yes, it is a remarkable story. His ties to those famous people as well as the Apache Kid..... whose story is another unbelievable tale, as is the story of Tom Horn.

Hawg, yes that's a converted Whitney Totally awesome in it's own right. It's the only one I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 05:12:20 PM by Miguel Loco »
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick