Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta Pocket Remington hammer problem--cam fell out.  (Read 1564 times)

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
Pietta Pocket Remington hammer problem--cam fell out.
« on: July 08, 2022, 07:29:18 PM »
Paid WAY more than a rational person should (except for the one dude who nearly outbid me) for an all-steel Pocket Remington. As I cycled it, it jammed solid in full cock. Well, I've disassembled a few 1858s so I opened up my second-most-expensive revolver and discovered that the little cam had fallen out of its little hole. It's like the hole it fit in was bored way too large. I can insert the cam, turn the hammer over, tap it, and the cam will fall out.

Pietta (as expected) has not responded but I ordered a new hammer from Taylor's Firearms. My concern is that the replacement hammer is going to be the same piece of junk that the original gun had. I mean, how many different variations of hammers would Pietta produce for their Pocket Revolvers?

Anybody dealt with this issue? I really like the gun, and even bought a conversion cylinder for it, but I didn't overpay for a wallhanger, I want a shooter.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pietta Pocket Remington hammer problem--cam fell out.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:09 PM »
If the new one does the same thing go buy a lottery ticket. Even big name guns make a dud now and then.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 09:35:39 PM »
I'm guessing the new part will be fine. I've ordered replacement Pietta parts before and had no issues with them.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 05:41:01 PM »
Man, I hope you guys are right. Instead of a lottery ticket I may buy a bike helmet. I haven't had good results from new "oddball" guns this year.

I just got my new NAA revolver back today after the SECOND warranty repair for a broken hand and the gun has never even made it to the range. I haven't shot my Heritage revolving rifle since it was returned from a warranty repair after it wouldn't properly cock. It would cock, but as soon as the hammer was released it would drop and fire the gun. It was my wife's first time shooting. Thank goodness we'd had some chats about basic safety procedures.

And now this goofy Pietta problem. Sheesh--I may just stick with boring Rugers. Those suckers always work.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:06:23 AM »
Until your new hammer arrives you could try re-inserting the cam into the hammer with some Wonder Weld or Chemical metal. Just make sure that you put it back in the correct position because with these adhesives you won't get it out again.

Good luck.

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »
I would have tried doing that with some JB Weld but I had no clue what the correct positioning was. The new hammer arrived today, and after a little polishing, got installed. Gun seems to cycle fine with both BP and conversion cylinders. Maybe I'll get to the range this week...

Offline tinhorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 09:45:35 AM »
Hahaha--it keeps getting better! Found a picture of the cam side of the hammer the day after I installed the replacement. It was on the Dixie Gun Works site. For posterity:

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 11:07:12 AM »
Hahaha--it keeps getting better! Found a picture of the cam side of the hammer the day after I installed the replacement. It was on the Dixie Gun Works site. For posterity:
With that as a reference, install your cam back in the hammer and keep it as a spare.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"