Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: NEW !! 1860 Army Kirst Konversion in 45acp!!  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW !! 1860 Army Kirst Konversion in 45acp!!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 01:12:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this Mike. You told me about it weeks ago, and it's been hard to keep it under my hat!

This gives people another option as far as ammo goes. Some folks like the look of the old guns, but don't want to fool with black powder. This will let them shoot the same ammo from their 1911 in their Open Top. I don't really see too many people loading .45 ACP with black powder. If you're going to do that, just buy some .45 Cowboy cases and load them, and you won't need an extra cylinder.
I've loaded Trail boss in 45 ACP with lead bullets for Wild Bunch matches. They work great. TB would be a good powder for a conversion in 45 ACP.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 02:31:05 PM »
Hi Mike, I have a .45 ACP cylinder for my 3rd gen Colt 45, but find it almost useless accessory compared to 45 Colt. It's like having goat tits on a cow. Why oh why is there any interest in .45 ACP for .44 caliber revolvers? Using BP with .45 ACP that headspaces on the cartridge face is asking for fouling headspace issues .IMO there are a few more downsides, the first being a fool that puts a +P .45 ACP in the cylinder and the second having the difficulty of buying pure lead .45 Colt loaded ammo.

IMO I think that I know the interest, someone has an ~100rds of .45 ACP that he doesn't know what to do with. lol

IMO keep the .45 ACP for autos and .45 Colt for revolvers.  (7&

Regards,
Richard

I, for one, enjoy my Colt-a-like ACP revolver.  Probably one of the most enjoyable revolvers I shoot.

As for fitting the ACP bullet in the 44 bore, the factories try to keep it a secret but the barrels are really 45s!

Kevin

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 06:12:55 AM »
This is very cool in my book… I am the kinda guy that just likes options!

Any idea when this is going to be offered to the public?
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 06:50:17 AM »
This is very cool in my book… I am the kinda guy that just likes options!

Any idea when this is going to be offered to the public?

Yessir,  it's available right now.

Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:05:18 AM »
Ok, update!!

To me this was an excellent round to be able to test the open top platform since there are different factory loads available- lightweight bullets,  defense loads, heavyweights  .  .  . obviously many reloading options. 
 I took it upon myself to experiment  ( for my own education) with some "fun" loads. Needless to say, the platform is fine and maintains its specs !!   I would not suggest anything more than "reg. Factory" loads for this conversion.
  What's different in Beauty and the Beast's setup over any other "Outlaw Mule"? Not much really. 
  Since this was "special " to me, I wanted it to be like "my " version of "New In the Box". That means the arbor was removed and the hand relief cut was "corrected" and then the arbor was torqued back in place and assembled with cylinder and barrel assy before staking. The rest is straight forward "O.M." service  with action shield and interference pins added.  Also, since this was for platform testing as well, I changed my wedge to a captured wedge  as all of my open tops have. This way I don't have to worry about having a loose wedge "scoot" out when shooting "fun" stuff!! It only takes one shot with a loose wedge and the right load to do some real damage needing time consuming correction.

So, still having fun with this new cylinder and the O T. platform!!

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
Awesome Mike. Thanks for the update. 😁👍 sounds like you’ve been having a little fun.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2022, 07:53:39 PM »
Update!

The '60 is running like a fool!! 100 more down range and keeping all the specs where they're supposed to be!!  I just went over some of the previous posts and forgot about Richards comment about loading 45acp with black powder?!!! Why in the world would you want to do that in the first place?!! Lol!! 
   These are a most excellent platform for the round and with more room in the cylinder length for hand loaders  to experiment with "heavyweight" bullets!!  Here again , mine is an Uberti and set up with "heavy testing" in mind. I'm looking forward to a Pietta setup to do like testing.

Mike

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2022, 04:23:07 AM »

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I just realized what a hypocrite I am. Besides the .45 ACP cylinder for my Colt 45, I own a S&W 625 that uses .45 ACP with moon clips. I really like that gun.

Confession is good for the soul? vbg

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2022, 09:24:45 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Hi, I just realized what a hypocrite I am. Besides the .45 ACP cylinder for my Colt 45, I own a S&W 625 that uses .45 ACP with moon clips. I really like that gun.

Regards,
Richard

Your firearm sins are forgiven, my son.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2022, 01:33:45 PM »

Regards,
Richard

Regards,
Richard

Your firearm sins are forgiven, my son.

Of course  !!!  (7+"
The 45acp is awesome in the '60 !!!

Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 05:04:33 AM »
 Update-
  Someone in another forum mentioned that they didn't want to do much "testing" of max bp loads in an open-top for fear of "bending" the wedge (they're chronoing the loads) !! I mentioned that only loose wedges get battered.  Here's a pic of my wedge after 400 rounds of 21-23K pis rounds of 220 - 230gr FMJ ammo.  The edges are perfect!!

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 05:23:38 AM »
Wow Mike!!! The proof is in the wedge👍👍

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 05:27:53 AM »
 Thanks Zulch!!!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 06:33:25 AM »
Update!

T I just went over some of the previous posts and forgot about Richards comment about loading 45acp with black powder?!!! Why in the world would you want to do that in the first place?!! Lol!! 

I've loaded .45 ACP with black but I ran them through my 1911 just for grins and giggles. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 06:47:44 AM »
 (7+" (7+" (7+"

Mike