Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: NEW !! 1860 Army Kirst Konversion in 45acp!!  (Read 5729 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
NEW !! 1860 Army Kirst Konversion in 45acp!!
« on: July 15, 2022, 06:46:06 PM »
I have the pleasure to announce the latest offering from Kirst Konversions. A first ever 45acp for the 1860 Army.
Here is a pic of the first 45acp '60 Army!!
 It's a Cimarron sourced Uberti with a silver plated trigger guard. I call it "Beauty and the Beast" !!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: NEW !! 1860 Army Kirst Konversion in 45acp!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 06:52:11 PM »
Here is a pic of the first 45acp '60 Army!!

Umm... missing something there, chief...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
Fixed it for ya!

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 07:59:44 PM »
Beautiful 45 Dragoon. Question for Mike, do you know if either of Kirst's 1851 ejectors will fit an 1851 Navy American Frontier Firearms Richards conversion made in the 1990s. I believe Dave Anderson made them from Armi San Marco parts? I asked Walt Kirst himself, and he wasn't sure.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 09:15:11 PM »
Looks mighty good. That's a good round. The right bullet and powder and it should perform well.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 05:02:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Mike! Cool beans.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 05:32:27 AM »
Looks good, how much work does it take to fit the conversion into the revolver

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 06:24:21 AM »
Thanks guys!

Sooty Barrels, I'm not sure about the ejector housing on the ASM either.  I've got a pair of ASM '60 conversions in the shop but that won't help.

Looks good, how much work does it take to fit the conversion into the revolver

Well, it's not bad really! I used one of Walts 2 fingered hands ( which I recommend) but me being me, I still had to lengthen the trigger sear ( for a "slightly " longer cycle length) to achieve "perfect" timing. You're still going from a 6 shooter to a 5 shooter, the 2 fingered hand helps a lot and most folks will be fine.
 This cylinder was one of 5 made and I'm flattered that Walt sent me one to test!! Luckily  I was the first to get to a range with it and it was flawless with a box of 50 ( 230 gr. FMJ) for its first feeding!!!  (7+"
Next I will send 50 lead round nose ( not plated or jacketed) also 230 gr.
  Of course I did everything to it plus re-installing the arbor ( just to make sure!!). It was exactly the same revolver, post test ( that's after 50 roughly 21K psi rounds!!), that I had taken to the range!
I'll update with my next range trip!

Mike

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 07:26:21 AM »
Looking forward to hear how it performs with the next box of loads. How did it group with the 230 FMJ rounds? Were those factory loads or your own reloads?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 07:57:41 AM »
Hey Marshal Will,  these were factory rounds. They didn't group as well as I had hoped but not bad either.  Being new and first time it was more a function  test than anything else.  It definitely has potential and probably will do better with lead is my thoughts.
 With the Uberti having the correct twist in the barrel for 45C/45acp I'm sure it can be a tack driver just like my other ot's. I wanted to get it up to "temperature " too just to make sure she runs just as good hot as she does cold .  .  .  she did . Haaa!!
So, with the lead rounds (a little warm if I remember correctly) I'll look for accuracy.

Mike

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 08:43:30 AM »
Exciting stuff Mike👍👍 thanks for sharing  (7&

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 10:05:07 AM »
Hi Mike, I have a .45 ACP cylinder for my 3rd gen Colt 45, but find it almost useless accessory compared to 45 Colt. It's like having goat tits on a cow. Why oh why is there any interest in .45 ACP for .44 caliber revolvers? Using BP with .45 ACP that headspaces on the cartridge face is asking for fouling headspace issues .IMO there are a few more downsides, the first being a fool that puts a +P .45 ACP in the cylinder and the second having the difficulty of buying pure lead .45 Colt loaded ammo.

IMO I think that I know the interest, someone has an ~100rds of .45 ACP that he doesn't know what to do with. lol

IMO keep the .45 ACP for autos and .45 Colt for revolvers.  (7&

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
Hey Marshal Will,  these were factory rounds. They didn't group as well as I had hoped but not bad either.  Being new and first time it was more a function  test than anything else.  It definitely has potential and probably will do better with lead is my thoughts.
 With the Uberti having the correct twist in the barrel for 45C/45acp I'm sure it can be a tack driver just like my other ot's. I wanted to get it up to "temperature " too just to make sure she runs just as good hot as she does cold .  .  .  she did . Haaa!!
So, with the lead rounds (a little warm if I remember correctly) I'll look for accuracy.

Mike
Thanks, I wondered about that. Soft lead should obturate better than FMJ in the BP barrel. I measured a Uberti 44 bore a number of years ago and it was .454 but they may be different these days.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »
Hi Mike, I have a .45 ACP cylinder for my 3rd gen Colt 45, but find it almost useless accessory compared to 45 Colt. It's like having goat tits on a cow. Why oh why is there any interest in .45 ACP for .44 caliber revolvers? Using BP with .45 ACP that headspaces on the cartridge face is asking for fouling headspace issues .IMO there are a few more downsides, the first being a fool that puts a +P .45 ACP in the cylinder and the second having the difficulty of buying pure lead .45 Colt loaded ammo.

IMO I think that I know the interest, someone has an ~100rds of .45 ACP that he doesn't know what to do with. lol

IMO keep the .45 ACP for autos and .45 Colt for revolvers.  (7&

Regards,
Richard

Well Richard, I understand they aren't for everyone but it gives folks options. I'll see what my Uberti does this week with the lead rounds.
My El Patron shot acp well as does my Pietta made Frontier.
Maybe later I'll get an acp cyl for my Rem and see how it does.

Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2022, 12:00:50 PM »
Thanks for posting this Mike. You told me about it weeks ago, and it's been hard to keep it under my hat!

This gives people another option as far as ammo goes. Some folks like the look of the old guns, but don't want to fool with black powder. This will let them shoot the same ammo from their 1911 in their Open Top. I don't really see too many people loading .45 ACP with black powder. If you're going to do that, just buy some .45 Cowboy cases and load them, and you won't need an extra cylinder.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln