Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Kropatschek 8mm. The hard hitter.  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Racing

• View Profile
Kropatschek 8mm. The hard hitter.
« on: July 22, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
All said i presume it was bound to happen.
The Henry, the Vetterli and what not.. repeaters i guess, but nothing like we´d consider "rifle performance" rifles.
Well.
The Kropatschek is.

This was the brainchild of Austrian artillery officer Alfred Ritter Von Kropatschek and the rifle became a mile stone in rifle development i´d say.
There´s like TONS to be had on Youtube n more so i won´t bore you to death on the generals of it.
Suffice it to say it truly broke ground. Sporting a tube mag, like the Winchesters and what not, carrying 8 in the tube, one on the lifter and in turn one in the chamber for a 10 total.
This in 8*60 Kropatschek.

The main force to use them was the Portuguese. The Kropatschek was to replace the Guedes, which it did. Where the Guedes was still "old school" single shot.
As this is a permit gun to me i looked long and hard for a NICE one, and kind of struck gold down in France.
Now.
This gun is excempt in France while under permit to me. Go figure, but that ment that i asked friends of a close by RFD handle the import to save me on that debacle.

So what we´re talking here is basically a modern day hunting "cylinder repeater". I guess part of the difference vs new stuff is that this piece was hand fitted and has had like 100yrs to be "run in".
Action of it is silk smooth. Really. It´s a cock on open, which of course means you´ll have to put a LITTLE effort into opening of the bolt but that done... daaaaaamn..

Uhu. Most of the blueing still intact, as well as the marking/approvals and what have you. History in short, and i´ve got all the intent to use this thing for our black powder nationals so go figure.

Sir Joseph Whitworth and his trio had already laid the ground and as 8mm caliber is smaller still than 45cal.. yep. Even faster twist. Rifling btw after a bit of clean, clean as a whistle. Shiny even.

What you need to keep in mind here is the era. Things evolved INSANELY fast and the Kropatschek while being an extremely important gun as far as rifle development as we see it today was dead in the water upon being put into the market.
Why?
This gun was made in 1886 and then revised at the earliest in the mid 1890´s as it carries the cutouts for a "heat shroud" on the stock that only the ones intended for colonial use did... but no matter cause what happened in 1886 made it obsolete before even hitting the market as the French launched the 8mm Lebel using "poudre B".
Smokeless.

That brings that the Kropatschek really IS the dying breath of the black powder era and black powder era guns. A relic if ever.
However...
We (as in humanity) had by now learned how to alloy steel and indeed the Kropatschek is made using nickel steel.. Due that the rifle stayed so to say and was indeed used with smokeless too!  :)O

Yep! She runs both way! Leaded and unleaded! To add insult to injury the thing even used jacketed boolits!  :hurry: (which was sure in its infancy)
This made the Kropatschek a kind of unicorn in as much that it was used by armed forces all the way into the second world war.
No.
No, that´s NOT a misprint.
These days most shoot it using smokeless i guess, i do not. However, fouling gets boring why i mainly use duplex loads.
Huh?
Yes. This is black powder and smokeless mixed. No. Not to increase performance but the thing is that the smokeless burns/carries the blackpowder fouling, making for a blackpowder gun that you do NOT have to "patch" like every 4th shot.
Bring two cases (100rds) of ammo and go at it!

Delivery of it.. as it turned out that rather "grey´d" stock carried a crao load of dings. No way even CLOSE to on par with the metal n furniture of it.
So.
Steam time. Cecilias iron and wet towels... patience..  (7+"

..it paid off. What can i say? Now i had a rifle not only clean (oven cleaner and oxalic acid) but "semi" ding free.. looking the part.

Yes. Cleaning rod on the left side of the gun, actually locking the entire front setup up. Barrel band and all.

"8mm.. new&improved" but GET THIS!! Takes almost 80 grains of powder and see.. this is a TALL lady, which renders that the stock 250grain bullet exits at plus 1700fps using black powder! Say WUT?!? Yep. Indeed. Flat shooting here we come!

The modified colonial guns intended for smokeless powder use got fresh sights. Get this.. marked for 2200 meters, and that´s pulling the "extra ladder" like 1/3 out! Whhoooop!

With flash, so you get a notion of the plunger/follower for the tube mag.

This... this is the mag cut off. It was thought at the time that mags were the devils playground..

[/img]

REAL happy with how this turned out. Have to say.

Uhu. Flag safety as on a Mauser. Now. The Kropatschek was first implemented in 45cal for the French marine forces so go figure who borrowed what from whom.

You know. Comparing this to guns like made a mere 20yrs earlier, it´s not even on the same map. Evolution at the time, what was the bees knees one month was old news the next. Insane times, for real.

SURELY there´s not ammo to be had tho right!?
Wrong.
I make ´em using the 348Win as parent casing. Then there´s dies to be had from LEE for the 8mm Lebel which is close enough as long as you don´t bottom the die out.. and in turn "correct" dies from RCBS and CH4 both.
The cartridge uses LOADS of "bullet protrusion" alright and can carry approx 80 grains of powder going at it using drop tube and what not.

So. For those of you into it, pick one up! You can still get spares on French Naturabuy as some ppl part them out..
REAL hoot to own, shoot, use and admire and it´ll spook the living crap outta "the modern" crowd, let me tell ya. Cause this thing HAULS when asked to!

Offline Racing

• View Profile
Re: Kropatschek 8mm. The hard hitter.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
To add insult to injury.
The French 8mm Lebel was the worlds first rifle for primary use with smokeless powder.. on a wide front.
It came to change the world.

We´re all familiar with the story of Alfred Nobel and his competitors, but all said and done it was the French that solved the mystery of being able to use smokeless powder in small arms.

The thing here is that the French kind of led progression of things at the time. Albeit the Preussian Dreyse needle rifle had been adopted in the 1840´s it was really Alphonse Chassepot that changed the world with his "Mle 1866" in "modern" 45 caliber.
Often dubbed "the worlds first modern rifle", and owning several and shooting them every chance i get.. yes. Yes they are. Single shot might be, they´re 45cal sporting ALL the modern attributes to make accuracy evident.

Then..
Then the Franco/Preussian war of 1870/-71 which the French indeed lost. Approx 2 million Chassepot were made all across Europe. Mark.. the US civil war ended ONE YEAR ahead of the Chassepot, where about all were muzzle loading. ONE YEAR later Alphonse had his rifle accepted by the armed French forces.
Anywhoo..
The French lost and due that more than 7oo ooo Chassepot were impounded and lo n behold a mere months after that Paul Mauser presented his Mauser model 1871.
Go figure.

No matter. The Chassepot, due that lost war, was developed into using brass in 1874 making for the "Gras" rifle. Every Chassepot in sight was hotroded into this..except with the French marine. There the Chassepot still ruled (and to part with the Gendarmes and cavalry too).
Until 1878...
In 1876 the French had heard about the notions of Alfred Ritter von Kropatschek.. and said sure. To hell with it, why the French marine (the French never throws ANYTHING away within their armed forces) came to adopt a Gras rifle to take to the Kropatschek system.
Thus we in "Mle 1878 Marine" have a 7 shot repeater in 45 Gras. Or 11mm Gras if you so wish (groove diamter is approx .460".. so gimme a daaaamn break already)
In 1878.

Well. Our friend Alfred kept pushing right, and the rifle went into production at Steyr to cope with the Portuguese contract but at THAT time (1884) the thing had in practice already been in production for quite a few years, with very few alterations, with the French.

Now.
The French carries this secret of smokeless powder. How do we make this happen?
So. A "new" cartridge ( a necked down 11mm Gras) and a "new" rifle (An 1885 Kropatschek with dual locking lugs at the front of the bolt) was developed in a mere 5 months.
Mere?

Yeah. That. Cause in practice the Lebel is nothing short of a Kropatschek, and the Lebel using smokeless was what changed the world. Forever.
You do the math  (7+"

So yeah.

The Kropateschek was indeed a milestone beyond belief.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:05:38 PM »
OK. I could flat out lie to you and tell you this thread didn't impress the h-e-double hockey sticks outta me...but that would make me a liar.
I love it when I learn about Euro guns I never even knew existed.
Carry on, sir!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 10:53:13 PM »
These are new to me. Thanks for posting about it. It has to be great fun to play with.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 04:56:28 AM »
Racing thanks for posting this interesting information, it was fun to read

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 02:01:17 PM »
Learn something new every day. Thanks for posting Racing. Extremely interesting.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Racing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 04:18:36 PM »
Thx gents.
Then.. here ya go.
Enjoy.