Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dragoon ballistics  (Read 1872 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Dragoon ballistics
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »
What do you think is an effective range of a #2 dragoon.  Using 45 grns 3f powder, a soft lead .454 round ball and wonderwad patch over the powder.   I did a demonstration of home made caps with this load. Hitting the fifty yard target was easy enough. I could not guess the velocity. ?

Dragoon Rick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragoon ballistics
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 09:28:20 PM »
Probably about 75 yards.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 10:04:38 PM »
That’s great. I can stand for 75 yards if I can shoot that well.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »
That’s awesome Rick. 50 yard target hit? Handheld or did you prop/rest the gun? Picture of the target? Love to see the results after you try 75 yards.👍👍

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:22 PM »
Supposedly they were sighted in at 75 yards with the purpose that there would be enough ME to drop a man or a horse at that distance. Purportedly (depending on which story you believe) the Hickok-Tutt duel shot was taken at 75 yards with a Dragoon. Davis Tutt did not remain earthbound to dispute the fact.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 02:41:08 PM »
My demonstration was hand held.  As a guest of the SASS club I wasn’t to picky.  I just shot at the target set up.  The range master said it was 50 yards. I hope to go to the armadillo gun range and store near Princeton,tx where we are moving.  In the next few weeks.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »
Supposedly they were sighted in at 75 yards with the purpose that there would be enough ME to drop a man or a horse at that distance. Purportedly (depending on which story you believe) the Hickok-Tutt duel shot was taken at 75 yards with a Dragoon. Davis Tutt did not remain earthbound to dispute the fact.

Some say it was a .32 S&W. One of history's mysteries that will never be solved. I'm leaning toward the dragoon also but then I go back and forth on it, depending on which way the wind is blowing. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 04:28:12 PM »
A .32 S&W at 70 yards would hurt like a 25ACP or 22.  I dought  neither would punch through a pine2x4 at that range.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 04:41:29 PM »
A .32 S&W at 70 yards would hurt like a 25ACP or 22.  I dought  neither would punch through a pine2x4 at that range.

A .22 or a .25 ACP at 75 yards would kill you. I would imagine a bp .32 S&W would too. Hitting something at that range with a .32 S&W would be the trick. I once set up a quart brake fluid can in a big patch of sand at 90 yards. I fired one mag out of a 1934 Beretta .380 at it. I peppered the sand all around it and hit it once. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't been able to see where the bullets were going. I used to bust 2 liter Coke bottles at 200 yards with a .22 rifle. No scope.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 06:36:13 PM »
I guess my Dragoon obsession is growing.  It’s about the only pistol I want at the range.  I’ve traded for a Rossi 971 .357, and  fairly recently a Rossi 720 .44 special.  I am charmed by both and others I have. But the Dragoon is the only one that resides in the sock drawer by my bed.  If you treat it well the dragoon will do anything you ask of it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 07:27:50 PM »
Yeah it will but if you fire it in a house make sure your first shot counts cause you won't be able to see anything to make another one. (7+" And don't fire it close to curtains or a tablecloth.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
Yeah it will but if you fire it in a house make sure your first shot counts cause you won't be able to see anything to make another one. (7+" And don't fire it close to curtains or a tablecloth.

If the shot don't get him the smoke will!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 08:08:46 PM »
Great answers