Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Wild Bill Hickok's S&W No.2 up for Auction  (Read 928 times)

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Wild Bill Hickok's S&W No.2 up for Auction
« on: August 02, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
The Smith & Wesson No. 2 "Old Army" .32 rim fire that it is believed Hickok was carrying the night of August 2, 1876 when he was killed in Deadwood is up for auction. I wonder what the providence on this piece is?

Article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/wild-bill-hickok-firearm-going-185240218.html

My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Bill Hickok's S&W No.2 up for Auction
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »
It ain't gonna go for chicken feed, that's for sure! L@J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 11:48:44 PM »
"believed to be".  Nah, I ain't fallin fer it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 05:46:42 AM »
That is a first for me, seeing a spur trigger and reading up on them. I kept staring at the picture thinking, how does that trigger work. Saw a couple of videos and now understand how they work to a degree. Thanks for posting this.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 05:58:33 AM »
That is a first for me, seeing a spur trigger and reading up on them. I kept staring at the picture thinking, how does that trigger work. Saw a couple of videos and now understand how they work to a degree. Thanks for posting this.

The pocket Remington also sports a spur trigger. While I've never shot a gun with a spur, some say the are somewhat clumsy and cumbersome to manipulate without a TG, and of course, are a bit of a safety hazard.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 06:20:26 AM »

The pocket Remington also sports a spur trigger. While I've never shot a gun with a spur, some say the are somewhat clumsy and cumbersome to manipulate without a TG, and of course, are a bit of a safety hazard.

I see your point in it having a safety issue. The lack of a trigger guard makes it appear incomplete to the untrained eye like myself. I was also reading an interesting article about similar and cheaper (mass produced) .32 rimfire guns with the spur trigger were often used in brothels by the.... ahem...ladies, for protection.  https://www.historynet.com/spur-trigger-guns-bordellos-handy-self-protection-weapons/

1988-B59-Colt-spur-trigger-pocket-pistols-1870-18.pdf https://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1988-B59-Colt-spur-trigger-pocket-pistols-1870-18.pdf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 10:40:00 AM by Zulch »