Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dragoon at the range.  (Read 1424 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Dragoon at the range.
« on: August 13, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »
Finely got some pistols to the range, today aug 13. I’m reporting here on the function of the #2 Dragoon.  I was shooting mostly at 15 yards.  I was testing my home cast round balls,  homemade percussion caps, and homemade powder.  They all worked well.However the home made caps worked off and on. But store ought caps were no better. I think the nipples need to be mounted in a hand drill and reduced with a fine file. None of the nipples worked well because the nipples were to large for #10 caps or for my home made caps which stretch when they are pushed onto the nipple. 
   When I put a little 3f in the cap it functioned well. Even worked to ignite Pyrodex pellets.
   I’m mostly satisfied with my homemade powder.  The same powder I described and made for the Forum thread. It’s not as energetic as Goex, or other brands or home made variations. However it worked very well and consistent.
Dragoon Rick
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:55:52 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dragoon at the range.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »
Rick, great report :usa-flag-89: thank you. I’ll bet it was a good time. Wish I could’ve been there too👍👍

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 04:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the info. Rick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 07:40:15 AM »
Glad to hear your homemade powder worked well. Congratulations on that. Once you cure the too large nipples, you'll be in business.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 01:46:09 PM »
DragoonRick, not sure of which company produced your Dragoon, but if it was Uberti then you have options on your nipples. I have a pair of Uberti 2nd Models and have tried both Ampco and Slix-Shots. Both of those will take a Remington #10 just fine. I have a slight preference for the Slix-Shots.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
My two Dragoons are Armi San Marco.  My plan is to remove the nipples, mount them one by one in a hand power drill and file to a working diameter. 

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 04:25:32 PM »
Rick, my two Dragoons are ASMs as well. This is a good thread. Thank you.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »
My second Dragoon had problems shooting.  No matter how many times I’d cap the nipples the would not fire. It seems here was a space between the hammer face and the nipple face. After some examining of the hammer I discovered that the lowest edge of the hammer face had been peened. When the hammer fell the edge would hit the frame so it could not close the gap. I filed it flat. It functioned as designed.  The other issue wa that the nipples were to short.  On the cylinder under the nipples I put a split washer of the proper diameter.  This revolver has worked ever since these fixes.  It’s amateur gun smithing. But it worked.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:00:11 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 12:09:27 PM »
Rick, thanks for this post. Nothing like a little mechanical know how and your back in business. Improvise! I like that.  :-* great idea on the washers. I assume they are stainless steel?

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 01:33:46 PM »
Zulch,
 I’m guessing these are of spring steel and tempered. I had a box of washers of various sizes from Harbor Freight. They had all I needed. The washers work very well and will pop out to clean. Like the nipples.

If you are going to use one of the C&B guns you really need to know it in and out. It’s not like a modern gun.
Take it apart.  Recognize each part and reassemble.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:41:29 PM by DragoonRick »