Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Powder galore  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Powder galore
« on: August 17, 2022, 07:41:40 PM »
Well maybe not galore but I did receive 5 lbs. of powder today. An older can of Goex 2F and two pounds of Goex 3F and two pounds of Old Eynsford 3F. Now I gotta get off my butt and burn some of it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Re: Powder galore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 04:21:49 AM »
Awesome!  Enjoy!
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 05:26:28 AM »
Hay Hawg, happy to see that you have a good supply 👍

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:23:05 AM »
Hi Hawg, good for you! That Old Eynsford is very similar to Swiss performance.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 08:17:15 AM »

Regards,
Richard

That's what I've heard. I still have three pounds of Swiss more or less and a couple of pounds of Pyrodex so when I get off my butt I'll be able to compare.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
Well??? We’re waiting🧐  (7+" (7+"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:54 AM »
Well??? We’re waiting🧐  (7+" (7+"

Yeah well. Keep waiting. I'm not about to get out as hot as it is.  (7+"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »

Regards,
Richard

That's what I've heard. I still have three pounds of Swiss more or less and a couple of pounds of Pyrodex so when I get off my butt I'll be able to compare.

Hi Hawg, that Pryodex will make you sick. IMO use it to fertilize your plants.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
I've been shooting it since the 70's and it hasn't made me sick yet. It's close in performance to Swiss and isn't any more corrosive than real black.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
I've been shooting it since the 70's and it hasn't made me sick yet. It's close in performance to Swiss and isn't any more corrosive than real black.

I agree Hawg. I've loaded cartridges and used it in my C&B guns. It works great and isn't any harder to clean up. And none of my guns have any corrosion from using it. Plus, it's cheaper than real black, and available in the store. I personally don't see any drawbacks, and all the fuss about it is unfounded.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 09:49:26 AM »

I agree Hawg. I've loaded cartridges and used it in my C&B guns. It works great and isn't any harder to clean up. And none of my guns have any corrosion from using it. Plus, it's cheaper than real black, and available in the store. I personally don't see any drawbacks, and all the fuss about it is unfounded.

Hi Dave, unfounded? I tested the crap out of Pryodex and found velocity not reproducible, the fumes will choke you, and it has some nasty corrosive chemicals if you don't clean up quickly. I would rather use matchheads for powder than Pryodex. If that's all you can afford or find, then Pryodex is useful. However, there are a number of internet sites that sell real BP. Yeah, one needs to pay a hazmat fee, but isn't real BP the way to go?

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
I don't shoot over a chrono but to me it shoots the same shot for shot. Velocity is close to Swiss and that's not just me. Other people have chronoed it and got the same results. The only difference between real bp and Pyrodex is Pyrodex has some potassium perchlorate in it. I don't mind the smell at all. I have gone nine days without cleaning after using it and frequently go two or three days before cleaning. No trace of rust or corrosion.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »
Sorry Richard. I gotta side with Hawg on this one. I have never experienced anything bad using Pyrodex. No corrosion and it cleans up just fine. As for the smell, that's subjective. Just like the debate on the smell of Ballistol. Some guys love it. I personally think it smells like feet, ass and guacamole.

As for velocity and such, it sure seems to push the lead out the barrel the same as BP. I have no chrono to measure with though.

In the end, I would much rather use real black powder. In addition to my supply of real black, I have several pounds of Pyrodex and I'm not afraid to use them.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »
Some people have an irrational hatred for Pyrodex. I see it on every forum I go to. Most of them haven't even tried it. They're just repeating something they read somewhere else. Others that have tried it have had unexplainable experiences with it, if they're telling the truth. I can only say what I know. Yes I prefer real bp and Swiss at that. I got hooked on Swiss with my 63 Sharps. I went for years without buying bp online because it cost so much with the hazmat fee but I finally saved my pennies and bought some Swiss. I figured if I'm gonna buy online I might as well buy the best. I can still find Pyrodex locally but its getting harder to find. With this I just got and what I had before I have close to 10 pounds of powder so I should be set for awhile.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »
Lest we forget...
The "ace up the sleeve" of Pyrodex is that it is non-progressive fouling.
Translation: Once you've initially fouled the barrel (and cylinder, and arbor or cylinder pin) it does not get progressively worse, causing you to stop and swab the bore and remove hard fouling before you can no longer shove a PRB down the bore on rifles. I have personally put over 50 rounds through my Trade Rifle using RS and never even had to run so much as a cleaning patch down the bore. I've also been able to run as many as 10 cylinders of P though my Remmy before the cylinder begins to feel sticky. Can't do that with real BP, although I admit I prefer to shoot it over Pyrodex. No corrosion issues that I've seen, but I do a thorough cleaning the day of shooting, and if not, most certainly the next day.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"