Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cooking spray  (Read 2156 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Cooking spray
« on: August 20, 2022, 04:00:59 PM »
Have any of you used cooking spray like “PAM” as a wad lube or lube for the revolver after cleaning?
I did not see any examples on YouTube.  That should mean something.
I have in a pinch used such spray.  It did not rust.  Parts moved smoothly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 04:10:27 PM by DragoonRick »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking spray
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »
I haven’t but don’t see why it wouldn’t 🤔

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »
Cooking spray is just vegetable oils and propellant, canola, palm, peanut, soy, coconut etc.   It should work OK.   Olive oil is most popular for BP guns because some say it doesn't go rancid as fast as other oils.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 05:12:12 PM »
Its made out of several natural oils so it should be good to go. Cost would be the detriment. You can get 8 oz. of Pam or 16 oz. of olive oil for about the same price.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 06:05:12 PM »
There is always a can or two in the kitchen I’d use very little for shooting. Some are reported to be mostly olive oil. I will look for that.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »
Hi, I have had problems with my Paterson revolvers with fouling making it difficult to remove the barrel for cylinder reloading. The Paterson doesn't have grooves in the arbor like on the 1851 and 1860. I tried many different lubes with little success. However, I finally found a lube that works great minimizing arbor fouling with the Paterson's, PAM.

One needs to be careful to not use vegetable lubes for rust protection. Most vegetable lubes are water miss-able that could allow rust in time. While I use PAM with my Paterson's arbor, I always use other use lubes for rust prevention.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 11:54:49 AM »
I have been using an Olive oil food spray for years. When I have finished at the range I spray my BP revolvers all over, wrap them in a rag and take them home to finish the cleaning job.

Keeps the fouling soft and so much easier to clean off.