Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cowboy Shoot with the 1860's  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Cowboy Shoot with the 1860's
« on: October 04, 2022, 07:35:39 AM »
Finally had a chance to drag the Uberti 1860 Armies out to a Cowboy Shoot a couple of weeks ago. Was using paper cartridges and a round ball. I don't attach the ball to the paper cartridge but load the projectiles, whatever I choose that day, separately. Went through 5 stages without any issues. These are lightly tuned guns with Slix-Shot nipples but don't have any additional features such as a cap post. My point is that I chose to cock the guns very briskly(instead of my usual deliberate, plodding method) and I believe it makes a difference regarding cap fragments tying up the gun. I got plenty of hot cap fragments in my hands but nothing went down the hammer channel or internals. I realize this may be old news to some, but it felt good to shoot a whole match smoothly. I intend to continue these experiments with the Navies, Dragoons and Walkers under match conditions as soon as feasible.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Shoot with the 1860's
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:12:30 AM »
Nice to hear someone is still shooting cap and ball in a match. You don't see it as often as I'd like. I always got met with moans and complaints when I did it. Glad you had some fun with the Army pistols.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:33:33 PM »
Nice to hear someone is still shooting cap and ball in a match. You don't see it as often as I'd like. I always got met with moans and complaints when I did it. Glad you had some fun with the Army pistols.

Me too Dave.... unless you had a Ruger, you were frowned upon. Historical things are not to be brought up in CASS..... They should call it Hollywood Action Shooting and quit demeaning cowboys...:)
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 05:27:03 AM »
Finally had a chance to drag the Uberti 1860 Armies out to a Cowboy Shoot a couple of weeks ago. Was using paper cartridges and a round ball. I don't attach the ball to the paper cartridge but load the projectiles, whatever I choose that day, separately. Went through 5 stages without any issues. These are lightly tuned guns with Slix-Shot nipples but don't have any additional features such as a cap post. My point is that I chose to cock the guns very briskly(instead of my usual deliberate, plodding method) and I believe it makes a difference regarding cap fragments tying up the gun. I got plenty of hot cap fragments in my hands but nothing went down the hammer channel or internals. I realize this may be old news to some, but it felt good to shoot a whole match smoothly. I intend to continue these experiments with the Navies, Dragoons and Walkers under match conditions as soon as feasible.
Navy Six, that is great to hear thank you. So being deliberate and briskly pulling hammer back sounds like the thing to do to avoid cap jams. I must try that. Glad you had a good day of shooting.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 07:17:47 AM »
Zulch, I noticed that cap fragments were immediately ejected away from the gun by the brisk cocking. Shooting at a Match is not where I want to have issues as the percussion guns have enough on their own. So every little bit helps. I believe this will also apply to my Remingtons and Rogers & Spencers as cap fragments can sometimes get stuck at the bottom of the frame.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 07:29:56 AM »
Thank you Navy Six. After you fire do you by any chance slightly pull the gun back an snap it slightly back while pulling the trigger back to aid in getting the cap out and airborne? All in a fluid motion of course. i hope that makes sense.  :icon_scratch: Some things are just hard to say, for me anyway. HAHAHA

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 10:35:04 AM »
I will add that most " out of the box" revolvers will display a decent amount of "throw-by" (since most have late bolt drop) with "brisk" cocking.  That being the case is why most competition revolvers get   "attention".
 Along with that, a lighter hammer draw allows for faster cycling of the action which ( as noted) helps "send" caps on their way and of course a faster overall time with a much less tired thumb!!  (7+"

Mike
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 02:52:48 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 11:43:13 AM »
Thank you Mike, that was very well explained.  :-*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 05:18:04 PM »
I will add that most " out of the box" revolvers will display a decent amount of "throw-by" (since most have late bolt drop) with "brisk" cocking.  That being the case is why most competition revolvers get   "attention".
 Along with that, a lighter hammer draw allows for faster cycling of the action which ( as noted) helps "send" caps on their way and of course a faster overall time with a much less tired thumb!!  (7+"

Mike

You forgot to add..."and by installing one of my cap rakes and action shields you can forego all the monkey motions". Just sayin'.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 05:33:58 PM »
Zulch, since I was referencing shooting at a Cowboy Match, any extra motion with the gun might be frowned upon as a safety issue. Since I have elected to keep the guns pretty stock--just my action work and Slix Shot nipples--I look to any slight improvement as a help to finish a Match with minimum problems. I know a cap post and other measures would be an additional help, but since I'm interested in the historical experience, not my overall match score/placement, I will just live with the percussion gun quirks.  :cowboypistol:

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »
Zulch, since I was referencing shooting at a Cowboy Match, any extra motion with the gun might be frowned upon as a safety issue. Since I have elected to keep the guns pretty stock--just my action work and Slix Shot nipples--I look to any slight improvement as a help to finish a Match with minimum problems. I know a cap post and other measures would be an additional help, but since I'm interested in the historical experience, not my overall match score/placement, I will just live with the percussion gun quirks.  :cowboypistol:

First of all thanks Cap for the "plug"!!   (7& (you too Zulch !!)

I totally understand your point and that's why I didn't go into all the "upgrades".

That said, keep in mind that these reproductions aren't the " build quality " that the originals were. As well as the "fixins" such as the caps which were a little more substantial so "cap problems" weren't what they are today. The springs were better then than now  and the  barrel / cyl setup was such that it wouldn't allow the cyl to (eventually) move forward enough to allow ftf's.  So, the experience with an out of the box revolver today isn't quite the same.

Hopefully, the across the board tuning today DOES allow a much more reliable experience one would have experienced in 19th century.
 But hey,  everybody should have fun the way THEY want to, not how others think they should.

Have fun!!!
Mike

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »

Me too Dave.... unless you had a Ruger, you were frowned upon. Historical things are not to be brought up in CASS..... They should call it Hollywood Action Shooting and quit demeaning cowboys...:)

Boy, you got that right Mick. I lasted all of a year in CASS before I finally walked away.

Too many Roy Rogers and Wyatt Earp wannabes for me.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 01:38:43 PM »
I agree with some of the bias that may be encountered toward cap & ball use at some SASS clubs. Luckily for me, one of the clubs I frequent has a fair amount of "Traditionalists" still interested in the Old West. Since I also help with the maintenance/running of that club I don't encounter any difficulties. As a matter of fact, I drew some attention for using the 1860 Armies. Having said that, this Sunday I will attend that same club and will use...Colt SAA 44-40s---black powder of course!!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 11:19:03 AM »
Sounds like you're lucky Navy Six. It's kind of sad really, that CAS has become a speed sport. It's not so much about the traditionalist ways anymore, as it is about going as fast as possible.

I also took flack because my .45 Colt BP rounds were "too loud and too smokey" Every time I'd step up to the line, people would say, "look out, it's Angry Ammo." For an organization that is really worried about lack of members and participation, they weren't very welcoming to this new guy.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 03:36:12 PM »

Navy Six, thank you. I have never shot Cowboy Match. Overall, would you consider it a fun sport. Is it micro managed at all as to where it might not be enjoyable anymore at some point down the road? As we all know, we as humans,  enjoy what we enjoy, but somewhere down the road another human being comes along who has the power to make changes for whatever reason to the sport you love and oft times it may not be to the liking of the seasoned veteran. I hope it will remain fun to you and others who currently enjoy.