Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Model Army  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
New Model Army
« on: December 17, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
My sole New Model Army right now. Made by ASP and imported by Sile. It's smaller than the standard 1858 reproduction, and is an odd mix of New Model Army and a Remington-Beales model. For example, the frame covers the barrel threads, like the Remington-Beales, unlike the New Model Army, where the threads are exposed.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: New Model Army
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 12:58:32 PM »
That's very cool. It would be a good one to put a Beals-type rammer on. Provided you're good with files.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 02:16:56 PM »
I have been told, by a reputable source, that ASP modeled their NMA from an actual Remington-Beals that they got ahold of.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 03:15:08 PM »
I wouldn't say that. It doesn't have as deep a cut around the threads as a New Model but it's deeper than a Beals. The Beals doesn't have safety notches, a pinched front sight or a full sail. The ASP Remingtons are the same size as the original New Model.

This is a Beals.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 05:49:32 PM »
This is the full story I was just told, when I asked...

It was Val Forgett who supplied the Italians with the original "Remington" to be used as the model for a Remington replica. Due to the poorer levels of research and knowledge back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, what Val sent them to copy was not a Remington New Model (1863) but rather a Transitional Remington. Remington had been producing the Elliot patent version (aka "M1861") revolver, when Sam Remington made a number of changes that the factory implemented piecemeal late winter early spring of 1863. One of the "Elliot" features not yet changed on Forgett's sample was the exposed barrel threads. Remington also changed the radius of the grip on the New Model which for many shooters crimps the knuckles. After a couple decades or so, the Italians corrected the barrel threads so one finds the older early production with no exposed threads, half, and a quarter before switching over to the standard exposed threads of the true M1863 New Models.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 04:50:45 AM »
No offense EM but I'm not buying it. It just seems to me that if they had copied a transitional model they would have put a dovetailed cone front sight on it instead of the pinched front sight since that wasn't changed until 1863. It was the last change the New Model went through. If they didn't know anything about them and I don't see why they would they would have copied what they had in hand the same way they copied the original 1851 Colt with the bent trigger guard.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »
I do believe it. It makes more sense than any other explanation put forth so far.

Offline rem44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 06:28:37 AM »
All original black 44 cal Rems just for Santa 500 hand ro0lled paper cartridges just in time for civil war lolol MERRY CHRISTMAS guys