Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: .44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
.44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly
« on: January 09, 2023, 11:07:44 AM »
Howdy folks. HELP!!!  So, it's Sunday afternoon. I have my new ammo. :cowboypistol: Ready to have some fun time. The ammo is made by Precision One, an American company, .44 S&W Special, 240 grain Semi-Jacketed Soft Point. I loaded the first round and it would not seat against the cylinder. I said uh oh, I think? So I tried cycling the cylinder carefully pulling the hammer back and gently letting it fall. It cycled through okay without seeming to bind but by the time it got to about the 9 o'clock position it would bind. So I pulled the wedge out, slid the barrel off, then the cylinder and pushed the round out with a dowel. I've discussed this with Capt. Kirk and Shotgun Dave. They mentioned there possibly being a "restrictor" identified by a marking in the cylinder thus preventing the round from seating properly. Like maybe it's too long? I held the cylinder up to the light and sure enough there are circular lines up in there. I decided to give Cimarron a call. I asked if there were restrictor lines or whatever to prevent a .44 S&W Special from completely seating. He said no, there are no lines/restrictors. He then said that gun will accept .44 Special and .44 Russian. They were very polite but could offer no explanation and I even asked if there was someone else there who may be more knowledgeable. The answer, no. They did have a new cylinder they were willing to sell me though. Thank you, have a nice day. So now you know the story. Has anyone here ever experienced anything like this? Should I have to apply a certain amount of thumb pressure to the round for it to mesh with the cylinder "mouth"? It's just shy of seating? What's up with that? I do have snap caps in .44 spl S&W and they drop right in like flint. Thanks all.

Ammo link:   https://kirammo.com/shop/handgun-ammo/44-calibers/precision-one-44-special-240-grain-soft-point/

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: .44 Spl S&W Not Seating Correctly
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 11:12:42 AM »
Have you checked the ammunition to see if the dimensions are within tolerances? I would check the diameter at both ends.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:25:29 AM »
Check the COAL and case length.     COAL should be 1.615,   case should be 1.16     

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »
Have you checked the ammunition to see if the dimensions are within tolerances? I would check the diameter at both ends.

Marshal, hi. Thank you. No I have not. Shotgun Dave told me that I need to buy a caliper. Should I buy a micrometer as well? Your thoughts?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 11:32:41 AM »
Check the COAL and case length.     COAL should be 1.615,   case should be 1.16   

Hi Mike thank you. Just for a visual only at this point I stood the snap cap and the cartridge side by side and the cartridge is slightly taller. I realize that the proper measurement is needed though as you've said. That's what I will do.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
Caliper should work. Mic out the dimension just forward of the rim.
Since it's new ammo and not reloads, improper sizing should not be an issue.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 11:38:25 AM »
Caliper is all you need.     44 sp. should be the same diameter at the base as it is at the case mouth (.457) it's not a tapered case like 44-40.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
Caliper should work. Mic out the dimension just forward of the rim.
Since it's new ammo and not reloads, improper sizing should not be an issue.

Thank you Cap. Let me make sure i understand. With the round standing straight up I should measure from the top side of the rim to the top of the cartridge?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 11:41:45 AM »
Caliper is all you need.     44 sp. should be the same diameter at the base as it is at the case mouth (.457) it's not a tapered case like 44-40.

Okay, I see. I understand. I was thinking in my head, ( more like scratching my head) is this thing tapered or what an that may be the problem? I appreciate that info Mike.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »
A decent electronic caliper is available for +-$30. No need to get one of the $150 ones. I have micrometers and seldom ever use them. A caliper can measure depths as well as inside and outside diameters (and lengths).

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 11:52:40 AM »
A decent electronic caliper is available for +-$30. No need to get one of the $150 ones. I have micrometers and seldom ever use them. A caliper can measure depths as well as inside and outside diameters.
Thank you Marshal. I appreciate that very much. A worthwhile tool to have it sounds.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 11:56:30 AM »
A decent electronic caliper is available for +-$30. No need to get one of the $150 ones. I have micrometers and seldom ever use them. A caliper can measure depths as well as inside and outside diameters.
Thank you Marshal. I appreciate that very much. A worthwhile tool to have it sounds.
I use mine all the time. You get very used to having accurate measurements. You get spoiled. :-H

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA..okay Marshal. That sounds just like something I needed a long time ago.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
Like Mike said, just make sure the case diameter next to the rim is the same sice at the case mouth where the bullet is seated
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 12:53:21 PM »
Roger that Cap. Thank you. I will get a caliper and measure.