Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My first SAA  (Read 1106 times)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
My first SAA
« on: January 22, 2023, 01:49:42 PM »
So I picked up my first SAA yesterday! Yes I did have 2 that were cap and ball but those aren't really saa's now are they? Anyway, I traded the Afghani jezail I picked up 2 weeks ago for this.

Eaa bounty hunter circa 1997 44 magnum.

I hate the extended grip so if anyone has a normal grip they would like to trade, let me know. Otherwise I'm just cutting the bottom off this one.
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: My first SAA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 02:14:15 PM »
Check ebay but you have to have a matched set of all three pieces. You can't get a grip frame from one seller and grips from another. If you get a backstrap from one and a trigger guard from another good luck finding grips that will fit. That's a nice gun. You mopped up with that Jezail.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:26:45 PM by Hawg »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 03:42:59 PM »
You mopped up with that Jezail.

I sure did! I traded two go points I paid $200 for both for the jezail then traded that for this... So I'm $200 in on this 44mag plus it came with a buscadero holster and a box of 20 soft point hollow points by Winchester.

I'm probably going to sell it and buy one in 45 Colt since these can handle Ruger only loads...
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 04:14:01 PM »
I sure did! I traded two go points I paid $200 for both for the jezail then traded that for this... So I'm $200 in on this 44mag plus it came with a buscadero holster and a box of 20 soft point hollow points by Winchester.

I'm probably going to sell it and buy one in 45 Colt since these can handle Ruger only loads...
Cool trade-up!

I haven't heard that anything can handle Ruger loads other than a Ruger. Remember that the Ruger New Vaqueros can't handle 'Ruger only' loads. Be careful on that. Ruger Blackhawks and Vaqueros are a significantly larger frame than Colt clones.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 04:19:46 PM »
Marshal Will is right, it won't handle Ruger only loads. You can ignore my post about grips. I had Italian guns on my mind.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 08:26:18 PM »
so please explain "ruger only" loads. I thought it was 45colt loaded to 44mag specs. if these handle 44mag, why wouldn't they handle 45 ruger only?
l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 09:01:22 PM »
You can load .45 colt beyond .44 mag pressures. Why do you always want to push the limits? :icon_scratch:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 09:52:33 PM »
'Ruger only' loads are pushed beyond the upper limit of normal 45 Colt loads. Just for comparison purposes, I looked up the loading data in my Hornady reloading data book for a 250 gr HP-XTP bullet. It lists loads for 45 Colt with velocities ranging from 600 to 800 fps. It also lists 45 Colt loads for Ruger and T/C only with velocities from 1150 to 1350 fps. It would not be good to put those in anything else. Again for comparison, 44 Remington Mag velocities are also in the 1100 - 1350 range but the amounts of powder required are not the same from 44 to 45 (Ruger only) and the 45 taking more powder for the equivalent velocity. My data book doesn't list the pressures produced by these loads.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• SASS #105711
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 10:12:43 AM »
You can load .45 colt beyond .44 mag pressures. Why do you always want to push the limits? :icon_scratch:

Because, I'm Elmer Keith reincarnated...lol...

l
l_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
  JEEP OWNER!