Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Inlaid Horse Picture  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Inlaid Horse Picture
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 08:44:23 AM »
I've been working on cleaning up the picture. I went over the whole thing with a barely damp cloth to get off any dust and dirt. There was a little area of mold on the back of the frame. I treated that with alcohol then lemon oiled the whole frame. It's looking pretty spectacular now.

My cousin gave me a picture of the horse that was what my grandfather copied for the inlay. I think it's a lithograph but maybe it's a print like we know today. I don't know when they started doing them. Someone in the family had put it in a crummy frame to protect it. That picture included the name of the horse, Lou Dillon. By enlarging the barely visible signature on the painting and enhancing it with GIMP, I was able to see the artist was George Ford Morris, who painted mostly horses.

Lou Dillon was a Standardbred trotting horse that broke the 2-minute mile with a time of 1:58-1/2 seconds in 1903 and gained world fame. Here's the Wikipedia page on her.

The original he worked from:

As soon as I get the history of its making attached to the back of the inlaid picture (not permanently affixed to the picture itself but in a plastic slip cover tied to the frame brackets) I will get it hung on the wall to enjoy.

On a side note, my grandfather was a building contractor who worked full time on the Winchester home until Mrs Winchester died.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »
That's an awesome pic and story.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »
History, history, and more history!!! Love it Marshal!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2023, 01:26:54 PM »
That's an awesome pic and story.
Thank you, Hawg.

History, history, and more history!!! Love it Marshal!
Thanks. The more I look into this thing, the more history plays into our family background. It's all fascinating.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 01:40:17 PM »

Thanks. The more I look into this thing, the more history plays into our family background. It's all fascinating.

I think if everyone took the time to research their family history, they'd probable find out just how tied to our countries history most of us are. I found out a few years ago, that my 7th Great Grandfather was a Captain in the Continental Army. He fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain. Pretty cool what you can find out if you dig a little.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 01:53:56 PM »

I think if everyone took the time to research their family history, they'd probable find out just how tied to our countries history most of us are. I found out a few years ago, that my 7th Great Grandfather was a Captain in the Continental Army. He fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain. Pretty cool what you can find out if you dig a little.

This is true. My first ancestor to this country was a member of the House of Burgesses. He got in trouble for calling the speaker of the house a devil. He was in with Bacon's rebellion and was fined 25,000 pounds of tobacco. Another ancestor was a famous sea captain but I forgot his name. :-[ Another one fought with Mosby's Rangers.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 03:06:06 PM »

This is true. My first ancestor to this country was a member of the House of Burgesses. He got in trouble for calling the speaker of the house a devil. He was in with Bacon's rebellion and was fined 25,000 pounds of tobacco. Another ancestor was a famous sea captain but I forgot his name. :-[ Another one fought with Mosby's Rangers.

Quite the lineage Hawg!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 03:41:25 PM »
Yeah it is. My family had big money once upon a time but what the revolution didn't take the CW did. We even owned Varina plantation is the 1600's.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »

More fascinating history. I love this stuff. Generational jumps in my family are fairly large. My grandfather who did the inlay was born in 1861. It makes me feel the old West wasn't all that long ago. In reality, many of my friends have great-great-grandfathers who were born after that.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 05:48:59 PM »
My rememberer took a dump. It was 10,000 pounds of tobacco. http://lmperry.net/Perry-Poole-Tree/ps06/ps06_120.html

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 09:15:48 PM »
Even that was a stiff fine.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 07:55:43 AM »
My rememberer took a dump. It was 10,000 pounds of tobacco. http://lmperry.net/Perry-Poole-Tree/ps06/ps06_120.html
Fascinating Hawg.  :cowboypistol:

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 08:11:51 AM »

Some people say we're descended from royalty. Some try to dispute it. Written records are sparse. I think we are because I'm definitely lazy enough to be. (7+"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 08:39:32 AM »

Some people say we're descended from royalty. Some try to dispute it. Written records are sparse. I think we are because I'm definitely lazy enough to be. (7+"

AHAHAHAHAHAHA  :lol-049: :lol-049:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 09:17:47 AM »
LOL    (7+" (7+"