Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Inlaid Horse Picture  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Inlaid Horse Picture
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »
Whether they were royalty or not my first ancestor here was very wealthy. I have a cousin that was writing a book but AFAIK he never finished it. He did a lot more research into early family history than I did. I focused more on the CW period. He told me my ancestors during the revolution spent a lot of money funding troops and buying weapons and supplies etc. I do know one thing about genealogical research. The more you find out the more questions you get.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2023, 10:57:20 AM »
Whether they were royalty or not my first ancestor here was very wealthy. I have a cousin that was writing a book but AFAIK he never finished it. He did a lot more research into early family history than I did. I focused more on the CW period. He told me my ancestors during the revolution spent a lot of money funding troops and buying weapons and supplies etc.
Pretty interesting about that kind of private funding for the war effort.

I do know one thing about genealogical research. The more you find out the more questions you get.
You have that right.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »
I researched one soldier that would have been my great, great uncle. He raised racing horses but he walked three days to join the infantry in 1861. He was promoted to corporal but a year later resigned his commission. His last muster card says he was on a leave of indulgence on Dec 23rd 1863 but the family bible says he was killed on the battlefield on July 23 1864. That was the day after the battle for Atlanta. Growing up I often wondered if they just got the date wrong or if he was wounded and died the next day. Reading history books later on I found out two men were killed on the courthouse steps in Atlanta by snipers on the 23'rd. One of them wasn't named but the other one was his company commander. I'd just about bet he was the other one. I had around 25 family members that fought but he was the only one killed. Another oddity is when he was young both of his parents died in their sleep.........at the same time. Questions, questions and more questions. My ancestor that fought with Mosby was 3rd Lt Harry Hatcher. This pic was taken when he was about 23. When I was 23 I looked exactly like that, hat hair and all but my hands aren't that big (7+". Look close and you'll see the butt of a 51 navy sticking out of his jacket.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2023, 12:29:23 PM »
That's quite some family history, Hawg. I suspect there would be no fast way to draw that pistol out of his jacket.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »
Probably just for the camera. It may have even been a photographers prop. Mosby's men were supposed to prefer Colt armies but I'd swear it's a navy grip. The pic was from a newspaper article. I have tried to find it with no luck.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2023, 01:11:20 PM »
Yeah, a lot of photos back then were staged with props. I always wonder what the person's outfit below the camera range was like.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2023, 01:28:47 PM »
I'd like to have a peek inside a photographers wagon.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »
That would be treat. Look at all those glass negatives .

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2023, 04:07:29 PM »
I'd like to see what all kinds of props they carry around.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2023, 07:19:03 AM »
In that small of wagon, probably no props. From the sign on the wagon, he would be doing more scenery stuff and large groups, not portraiture. Kind of like CS Fly in Tombstone.

I'm sure just his camera and developing equipment took up that entire wagon.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2023, 10:51:54 AM »
That's true. It's just a buckboard with sides and a top. I just posted that pic because it had a guy peeking in the door. (7+"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2023, 03:26:39 PM »
The inlaid pic of Lou Dillon is now cleaned up and hung on the wall. The only place in our home with enough room for it. It took three people to get it hung.

And another photo corrected for the viewing angle.

Now we get to enjoy it.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
Beautiful.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2023, 05:16:22 PM »
Thanks, Hawg.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2023, 07:15:44 AM »
Wow! You sure did that inlay justice, Marshal! Looks incredible and it's an heirloom to boot!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"