Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cleaning agents?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
Cleaning agents?
« on: March 01, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
I was just given one liter of Break Free in a spray bottle. It's used, by the armed forces, for cleaning machine guns. It says made in Jacksonville, FL.
Is this something you guys are familiar with?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning agents?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 12:00:56 PM »
Very familiar but it's not for bp.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:49:59 PM »
It's great for cleaning and separating lacquered or rusted together parts. It really beats penetrating oil. I use it all the time in the shop.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 06:20:16 AM »
Very familiar but it's not for bp.

This.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 08:26:14 PM »
Wot?  Nobody mentioned Hoppes No. 9!  What’s up with that?  I thought it was the standard, but maybe not. 

My grandfathers both used the smokeless variety on their Winchester M1897 12’s after a pheasant shoot.  It was recommended/required by the LA County Sheriff Dept. so my Dad brought home bottles of it.
Accordingly,  I’ve used the smokeless No. 9 cleaner since childhood.  Later I started using their BP variety solvent and think it’s the best.  The company has been conflicted over what they call it for marketing purposes.  It’s been called No. 9 Super, Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube and most recently just Black Powder Solvent.  If anything works mobetta than that stuff I’d like to know its name.  It doesn’t have the murderous petrochemical odor of their smokeless solvent.   The smokeless solvent is the only stuff like that which spouse will absolutely and definitively NOT allow in the house and I don’t blame her.  That shit smells like a refinery fire - but it’s effective on lead deposits.

I have read where some BP guys completely clean their guns with just olive oil.  Seems a little Greta Thunberg spergy style - but whatever.  I use  hot water, dish soap and Hoppes.  Works easily, fast and well.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 10:06:19 PM »
I had a case of military bore cleaner from 1973 but I have no idea what it was. It worked very well on modern guns.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 05:50:30 AM »
Balistol for BP,   Hoppes #9 for smokeless.    Olive oil is for salads,  it don't belong on guns or leather.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 08:36:42 AM »
Balistol for BP,   Hoppes #9 for smokeless.    Olive oil is for salads,  it don't belong on guns or leather.

I can't stand the smell of Ballistol and you can say what you want but I use olive oil for patch lube in my rifles and shotguns. I even use it in my bullet lube for bp and smokeless. Olive oil definitely does not belong on a salad. (7+"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 08:54:19 AM »
I use it for lube too,  but it's not for cleaning or wiping down the stocks or barrel.     I guess I should have said it's not a leather or wood conditioner.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 06:24:33 PM »
I've used the Hoppes BP solvent. It works, and doesn't smell like the #9 smokeless solvent, which would stink up a skunk's den. Not that I mind, but the little woman ain't gonna tolerate it.
Problem with the Hoppes BP solvent is that it doesn't do anything more than dish soap and hot water will do. And for what you pay for one bottle of Hoppes you could clean out the local Wally World of enough dish soap to last a lifetime.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 06:31:56 PM »
I've never used Hoppes bp solvent or any other solvent for bp. I do use Hoppes #9 for smokeless and I do like the smell of it. Even my wife liked it. Maybe that's why I don't like the smell of Ballistol. :icon_scratch:

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 06:46:42 PM »
I've never used Hoppes bp solvent or any other solvent for bp. I do use Hoppes #9 for smokeless and I do like the smell of it. Even my wife liked it. Maybe that's why I don't like the smell of Ballistol. :icon_scratch:

Most people don't like the smell of Ballistol 'cuz it smells like dirty socks. Just sayin'

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 07:24:42 PM »
Most people don't like the smell of Ballistol 'cuz it smells like dirty socks. Just sayin'

To me it smells like licorice. Vile stuff.

Offline Clydesdale4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 12:30:23 AM »

To me it smells like licorice. Vile stuff.

I love Black Licorice.. (a guy has to be careful with sying "anise" in that sentence)...

In the field I became sold on baby wipes between cylinders. It just flat works.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 01:24:48 PM »
First comment: If you have a blood  pressure problem, don't eat  licorice candy.
Second comment, which is a question:
I have a tube of Hoppe's #9, which is supposed to be good for idle guns, kinda resting for a while. Are there  more numbers of Hoppes's #9 for different uses ??? and when do do the number change for other uses ???
Just asking for a friend